Joined 4011 days ago

286 posts - 324 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Danish, Irish
Studies: Russian

Message 569 of 766
08 August 2014 at 7:38pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Translations are optional, but probably quite useful :-) And not just for the person who writes them.

Thanks for clarifying. I think that the translations would probably be more useful for me than most of the others anyway. There's a big difference between knowing what's happening because you read the book in English a couple of times before trying it in a foreign language, and actually sitting down and figuring out why the author wrote a sentence the way that they did and finding out the exact translation (which isn't always exactly the same as the English one).
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 570 of 766
09 August 2014 at 5:02pm | IP Logged 
Language: Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Grammar point: subjunctive and conditional
Why: because before this challenge I didn't even realize that Italian has a conditional mood, although I've picked some of it naturally. And because in Russian we basically have a single particle for both
How many sentences: at least 10 per language, possibly more in Italian
Grammar explanation: I got some nice answers here, will see if I can write my own summary

Language: Finnish
Grammar point: descriptive two-verb structures
Why: because I can't even come up with an example right now, and I never use them
How many sentences: 10
Grammar explanation: the first verb stays in the infinitive, the second one is conjugated

For now here are some Romance sentences. The Portuguese ones are all from "Idioma é música", the first two Italian sentences are from "Luna rossa" by Miranda Gray, the last one is from "Che storia!", a book about the history of Italy.

1. Meu professor da 6a série achava que eu não estava pronta para línguas estrangeiras e assinou um documento afirmando que não seria permitido que eu fizesse língua estrangeira na 7a série. (WTF?)
2. O guia fácil de Susanna Zaraysky para a aprendizagem de idiomas é indispensável para qualquer estudante sério que queira tornar-se fluente em outro idioma.
3. Isso permite que o cérebro extraia e aprenda os padrões típicos do idioma alvo, que são elementos constitutivos fundamentais para a rápida aquisição de novos vocábulos.
4. Ou seja, se em vez de ouvir o português de Açores eu tivesse ouvido o português falado com um sotaque forte dos Estados Unidos, com o "r" fraco e sem vogais nasais, eu falaria português com sotaque muito americano.
5.Pode ser que saibamos muito bem os nossos temas e que estejamos muito preparados, mas se o nosso sotaque não é visto com seriedade podemos perder o respeito dos nossos colegas.
6. Não tente entender as palavras, apenas ouça-as.
7. Dê-se o tempo para simplesmente ouvir e não fazer mais nada.
1. Nella fase dell'Incantatrice le energie creative che, se l'ovulo fosse stato fecondato, sarebbero state indirizzate nel formare un bambino, vengono rilasciate per creare nel mondo.
2. Potrete sentire il bisogno di cibi semplici, come verdura, cereali e frutta, piuttosto che cibi raffinati o elaborati. EDIT: that's just the future tense though. Arghhh it's so similar :(
3. Molti credono che il Medioevo sia un tempo buio, in cui i popoli europei erano poveri, ignoranti e male organizzati.

Edited by Serpent on 09 August 2014 at 5:29pm

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4425 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 571 of 766
10 August 2014 at 4:17pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
2. Potrete sentire il bisogno di cibi semplici, come verdura, cereali e
frutta, piuttosto che cibi raffinati o elaborati. EDIT: that's just the future tense
though. Arghhh it's so similar :(

It's a good thing, honest! The future tense is incredibly regular and the conditional is
just a very slight modification of the future. So you get two tenses for the price of one
and have virtually no irregularities to plague you. So once you've mastered "potere" to
"potrete" (i.e. the irregular formation of the root "potr") you get "potreste" as a
bonus. There may be exceptions but I can't think of a single one right now.

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3904 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 572 of 766
10 August 2014 at 4:33pm | IP Logged 
I have a really hard time tying ideas together with connectors like "lo que", "ella quien", etc. That's my goal for this
month.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 573 of 766
10 August 2014 at 4:36pm | IP Logged 
Hm, thanks for the reassurance :) I just associate -ste or -sti with the indicative. and -e- instead of -a- in the more rare forms doesn't help :/

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5155 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 574 of 766
16 August 2014 at 4:38am | IP Logged 
Surrealix, would it be possible to limit the number of stars someone can have in one language? For example, if someone has 200 films and 0 books, right now they would have 8 stars.

It'd be more realistic if only the first hundred films count, at least until the books catch up (or vice versa). Then they would have a gold star, and everything above 100/100 would count towards more stars.
2 persons have voted this message useful

WingSuet
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 5111 days ago

169 posts - 211 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, German
Studies: Cantonese

Message 575 of 766
26 August 2014 at 4:03pm | IP Logged 
Has Cantonese been added as a language? I just tried to sign up, but got the answer: You
can't sign up to a language challenge without a language! Specify one with a hashtag.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4669 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 576 of 766
27 August 2014 at 11:47pm | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:
Surrealix, would it be possible to limit the number of stars someone can have in one language? For example, if someone has 200 films and 0 books, right now they would have 8 stars.

It'd be more realistic if only the first hundred films count, at least until the books catch up (or vice versa). Then they would have a gold star, and everything above 100/100 would count towards more stars.

While I like the fact that there's no limit to the number of stars you could earn (other than time!) I think this is a good idea. If a person goes over 100 in one category, that category shouldn't add up stars until they complete the 100 in the other category. Of course once they do so, they might suddenly gain a pile of stars in the first category. The idea is clearly to encourage a person to complete the full challenge before racking up extra stars in one category.

However, this might be complicated to code, so I wouldn't push too hard for it.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 766 messages over 96 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version