United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4670 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 641 of 766
02 December 2014 at 2:32am | IP Logged 
November was the first mini challenge I missed (insert sad face) - this month was so
much busier at work than I anticipated.

Solfrid Cristin wrote:
My mind is blank, any suggestions :-) ?

I have a partial idea - I think it would be fun to look at how people use our TLs on
social media, and to try and figure out the slang. For instance:

I was listening to Cool (Kendji
Girac), and the comments on YouTube were full of phrases from the kids that I would
never find in my books ...

tu chante supertropbienamourrir!    (you sing superverygoodtodiefor!)
la on peu le dire cool   (that, one can say, is cool)
Ce son claque d'une force, une tuerie    (a slap with force, a slaughter)

I can't even think of good English translations for this. And there are words that
I've never seen before, but that get used a lot:

Kendji girac je te kiff... <3 <3 <3!!!!!!
qu'est que je le kiff♥♥♥♥♥♥
oui elle est magnifique je la kif

There might be a way to build a mini-challenge around stuff like this. Maybe find
cool phrases that you like, or find ones that you don't understand and challenge the
group to decipher them.

Edited by kanewai on 02 December 2014 at 2:33am

1 person has voted this message useful

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5842 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 642 of 766
02 December 2014 at 4:15am | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
Personally, I didn't like the fact that Luso killed the conversation, even though he clearly had good intentions. It is perfectly legitimate to discuss how the challenge is going, and that includes wondering how one user has managed to rack up such impressive numbers. The one single person was part of the topic of conversation for several days, but not the only topic; several of us were also discussing series and subtitles, etc. Now it's "radio silence". I'd rather discuss that one person than discuss nothing.

Dear Jeffers, the thought that a comment on my part might "kill" an otherwise vibrant thread, however flattering, is quite exaggerated. To add an expression to kanewai's last post, "un truc de ouf". :)

On that note, if someone doesn't want to sound like Eddie Izzard (just joking: I understand he actually speaks good French), you might want to improve your argot and your verlan.

I'd recommend a couple of movies: Entre les murs and L'esquive. In both of them, suburban teenagers use language that's hard to understand (if you're not in the loop, that is).
2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5115 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 643 of 766
02 December 2014 at 6:41am | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
November was the first mini challenge I missed (insert sad face) - this month was so
much busier at work than I anticipated.

Solfrid Cristin wrote:
My mind is blank, any suggestions :-) ?

I have a partial idea - I think it would be fun to look at how people use our TLs on
social media, and to try and figure out the slang. For instance:

I was listening to Cool (Kendji
Girac), and the comments on YouTube were full of phrases from the kids that I would
never find in my books ...

tu chante supertropbienamourrir!    (you sing superverygoodtodiefor!)
la on peu le dire cool   (that, one can say, is cool)
Ce son claque d'une force, une tuerie    (a slap with force, a slaughter)

I can't even think of good English translations for this. And there are words that
I've never seen before, but that get used a lot:

Kendji girac je te kiff... <3 <3 <3!!!!!!
qu'est que je le kiff♥♥♥♥♥♥
oui elle est magnifique je la kif

There might be a way to build a mini-challenge around stuff like this. Maybe find
cool phrases that you like, or find ones that you don't understand and challenge the
group to decipher them.

Mmm. I like this. Could you specify it even further?

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 644 of 766
02 December 2014 at 10:20am | IP Logged 
Well, the part about social media implies finding examples on facebook, twitter, even youtube. I think it would be great at least to allow (if not encourage) examples from books and movies that use slang :)

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5115 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 645 of 766
02 December 2014 at 10:56am | IP Logged 
I have no problem both allowing and encouraging slang :-) It is a vital part of any language.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4690 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 646 of 766
02 December 2014 at 1:21pm | IP Logged 
I didn't manage the November challenge, even though it was my own idea, simply because I didn't find anything I hadn't watched before that I wanted to watch 3 times. I did something like that challenge earlier in the year with Amelie. I think I've now watched Amelie a total of 6-7 times, and read the script 3 times.

Anyway, I like the idea of a slang-based challenge. I'm currently reading a policier from which I could start pulling plenty of examples. We could post a quote, give the source, and what we've figured out about the meaning in context. The problem is, I won't necessarily be able to tell if something is "slang" or simply a common idiom I haven't come across yet.

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4364 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Esperanto
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian

Message 647 of 766
02 December 2014 at 1:47pm | IP Logged 
I didn't complete the November challenge either, although I did think it was a good idea. I was struggling to find a film for which I could download subtitles, and then I just forgot about it :( Perhaps if not many people have completed the challenge this time we could reuse it in another month.

Slang sounds fun for December. I hear a lot of it on one of the TV series I watch so this might motivate me to make some notes and investigate whether what I think the phrases mean are what they actually mean.

Mohave
United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3788 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 648 of 766
02 December 2014 at 5:25pm | IP Logged 
I didn't complete the Nov challenge for the same issues, and hope we can bring it back in a few months. I
love the idea of challenge using slang! Definitely something I need to work on!! But I agree with Jeffers, I'm
not sure that I can tell if something is slang, idiom, etc. However, I'm in!!

This discussion contains 766 messages over 96 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version