Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Alpha-males and linguaphiles

Tags: Psychology | Gender
 Language Learning Forum : General discussion (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
19 messages over 3 pages: 1 2 3  Next >>
Retinend
Triglot
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4102 days ago

283 posts - 557 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Arabic (Written), French

Message 1 of 19
01 May 2014 at 10:22pm | IP Logged 
The topic is sketchy. Today I read some articles from a blog of a kind I don't normally read,
called "returnofkings", which is mainly about gender politics from an anti-Feminism point of view.
To my surprise, I found this article in a large section of "language"-tagged posts: "15
Language Learning Tips for Self Study"

link

It would be insightful enough for the uninitiated. It also uncannily accords with the general
wisdom here at HTLAL, and this reminded me that the polyglot Stuart Jay Raj is well into
"The Game"-like analysis of gender behaviour (I'm leaving this vague so as not to misrepresent
him) and that the notorious, but presumably experienced language learner Cristoph Clugston is
a self-regarding "alpha male" if I've ever seen one. Is this culture of gym-attending "alpha
males" one that regularly crosses over with the "linguaphile" (I'll hold off from saying "polyglot"
to cast a wider net). Are there many of this type on this very forum?
2 persons have voted this message useful

DavidStyles
Octoglot
Pro Member
United Kingdom
Joined 3735 days ago

82 posts - 179 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Latin, French, Portuguese, Norwegian
Studies: Mandarin, Russian, Swedish, Danish, Serbian, Arabic (Egyptian)
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 19
01 May 2014 at 10:30pm | IP Logged 
People who like to impress people and conquer things that interest them, may do so in various areas of life. I know I do.

Languages interest me intrinsically as well as culturally, and I prefer to be able to speak someone's language, partly as that helps me maintain my comfortable position of social dominance. To be clear, I'm not a must-have-dominance-at-all-costs sort; I just tend to naturally end up with people giving me respect, so I often have to work quite hard to then be actually worthy of the respect I'm given.

Also, narcissistic sorts in general will tend to want to engage in self-improvement.

Being happy with oneself, but not content. This fuels the fire of language learning, I think :)
3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6391 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 3 of 19
01 May 2014 at 11:41pm | IP Logged 
Yeah guys, that's how (some of) you come across when you compare language learning to sports.

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4459 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 4 of 19
01 May 2014 at 11:50pm | IP Logged 
When I see "self-proclaimed alpha male who moved to Asia" I think: www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=LBH

Anyway, the article is sound advice, though that is hard to say for other stuff there.

Edited by tastyonions on 01 May 2014 at 11:51pm

6 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 5 of 19
01 May 2014 at 11:55pm | IP Logged 
Retinend wrote:
The topic is sketchy. Today I read some articles from a blog of a kind I don't normally
read,
called "returnofkings", which is mainly about gender politics from
an anti-Feminism point of view.
To my surprise, I found this article in a large section of "language"-tagged posts: "15
Language Learning Tips for Self Study"

link

It would be insightful enough for the uninitiated. It also uncannily accords with the general
wisdom here at HTLAL, and this reminded me that the polyglot Stuart Jay Raj is well into
"The Game"-like analysis of gender behaviour (I'm leaving this vague so as not to misrepresent
him) and that the notorious, but presumably experienced language learner Cristoph Clugston is
a self-regarding "alpha male" if I've ever seen one. Is this culture of gym-attending "alpha
males" one that regularly crosses over with the "linguaphile" (I'll hold off from saying "polyglot"
to cast a wider net). Are there many of this type on this very forum?

It is of course hard to tell, since most of the people here have no pictures or videos of themselves to show
whether they are butch Clugston types, but I think we would have noticed "the Alpha Male" just from his texts.

As for respect, that is something people get from me based on their insight, kindness, humour and intellect.
Typical examples would be emk, Iversen, Chung, Ogrim, Iguanamon and many others. I have no idea of their
gym attendance or six packs, nor do I care. I know nothing of Stuart Jay Raj, so I can make no comments
about him. As for Clugston I have just found videos of him speaking badly about other polyglots, but never
any of himself speaking foreign languages. He may of course fill my four criteria for people I respect, but so
far I have found no evidence of that.

So to conclude: I have seen no general trend of the most impressive males here being anti feminist muscle
men, but it is possible - though improbable.

And I need to add that I find it difficult to treat someone with such extreme views intellectually. Making broad
statements about half the population of the planet makes little sense to me.

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 02 May 2014 at 12:13am

8 persons have voted this message useful

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4459 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 6 of 19
02 May 2014 at 12:02am | IP Logged 
He mutters a few half-sentences in Spanish occasionally, though his videos are normally long enough that it would be an ordeal trying to find them. :-)

Retinend
Triglot
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4102 days ago

283 posts - 557 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Arabic (Written), French

Message 7 of 19
02 May 2014 at 12:02am | IP Logged 
tastyonions wrote:
Anyway, the article is sound advice, though that is hard to say for
interesting">other stuff there.

I've been hunting for the really objectionable stuff but that's the worst example. All
these things are just as moronic as any typical male backpacker. The majority of people
are looking to buy an experience, there's nothing essentially feminine about being a
clueless anglophone backpacker.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Lykeio
United Kingdom
Joined 4038 days ago

120 posts - 357 votes 

Message 8 of 19
02 May 2014 at 12:15am | IP Logged 
Oh my I just clicked on that. What the hell? I've never understood the kind of person
who finds it permissible to stereotype an entire gender (race, religion etc). Not just
for any ethical reasons but because it's really, really, awful. Also, the fact that
these boys are discussing women as if they're some whole other species really tells you
how much experience they must have with them...

Anyway I'm sure evolutionary biologists would be appalled and bemused if such character
ever represented the "alpha male" lol. However if you're describing it here as a
generic "gym goer" then...well, yeah, me.

I'm quite physically fit, always have been, enjoy the gym. I've played several sports
for years, even competed in some at various levels, and have a predilection for combat
sports. I also love languages and culture and while I'm not the nicest guy I'm not an
arsehole. Or rather I deliberately try not to be. So while I love physical exertion I
do hope I'm a world away from that set of people and I suspect many others here are
from the same mould.

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version