Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Alpha-males and linguaphiles

Tags: Psychology | Gender
 Language Learning Forum : General discussion (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
19 messages over 3 pages: 1 2
Retinend
Triglot
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4102 days ago

283 posts - 557 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Arabic (Written), French

Message 17 of 19
02 May 2014 at 2:31am | IP Logged 
Luke, I feel unfairly accused. To me this subculture is just a subculture.
Something out of the ordinary; a curio. The appearance of a language-learning aspect on it
struck me as amusing, if anything, because it was so out of tune with my image of a
language learner.

It's sad that I have to feel as if higher-ups on this forum are discussing whether or not
I need to be "taught a lesson" in my thread as if I'm a naughty child, especially since
the topic does not concern any truly "horrific" content.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5560 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 18 of 19
02 May 2014 at 2:49am | IP Logged 
I think luke made another rather tongue-in-cheek joke there ...
3 persons have voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5326 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 19 of 19
02 May 2014 at 3:42am | IP Logged 
Retinend wrote:
The topic is sketchy. Today I read some articles from a blog of a kind I don't normally read, called "returnofkings", which is mainly about gender politics from an anti-Feminism point of view.

luke wrote:
We have our own Alpha Females here. I'm not naming names, but you know who you are.

Serpent wrote:
By making this comparison you laugh off/dismiss how disgusting some ideas on that blog are.

luke wrote:
Okay, now I've skimmed it and agree we should kick the OP out of the forum to teach him a lesson.

Retinend wrote:
Luke, I feel unfairly accused.

I don't want to pick on anybody in particular here, but when somebody posts about politics on HTLAL, it generally turns into a fight within a couple of pages at most. I think this happens for two reasons:

1. HTLAL is an international forum, and the members have a huge range of political views. We have some very nice people here who are quite conservative by American standards, and some very nice people who are well to the left even by European standards. As long as we talk about languages, this doesn't cause any problems.

2. On the Internet, sometimes it seems like every discussion will sooner or later turn into an ugly political fight. A discussion about kitting and crochet? It's going to degenerate into angry politics. A discussion about software design? It's going to degenerate into politics, too.

So in theory, HTLAL is a politics-free zone, where we can all discuss languages, and not just rehash the same discussions we could have anywhere else.

I'd ask people to try to get this thread back on topic, but I'm not sure if that would work especially well in this case.

10 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version