Diglot
Germany
Joined 5101 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 9 of 31
03 May 2014 at 10:38am | IP Logged 
Retinend wrote:
"du hast ins Fettknäpfchen getreten" (you've said something gauche/ stepped into a little bowl of lard)

It's "du bist ins Fettnäpfchen getreten"

Retinend wrote:
"sei nicht so ein Frosch" (don't be such a stick in the mud/ don't be a frog)

This expression is nowadays pretty much only used in literary German. You're more likely to hear something like "Hab Dich nicht so!" or "Stell Dich nicht so an!"

BTW, many, many years ago expressions such as "Warmduscher," "Weichei" etc. were popular. There are whole websites dedicated to these kinds of nonsense expressions, many of which are a bit off-color. However, you might enjoy them, if you're into puzzles and decoding German compound nouns. :-)

For example: Foto-von-der-Freundin-im-Geldbeutel-Träger = one who carries a picture of his girlfriend in his wallet.

Edited by Doitsujin on 03 May 2014 at 12:44pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4625 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 10 of 31
03 May 2014 at 12:37pm | IP Logged 
Doitsujin wrote:
Retinend wrote:
"du hast ins Fettknäpfchen getreten" (you've said something gauche/ stepped into a little bowl of lard)

It's "du bist ins Fettknäpfchen getreten"

No, it's "du bist ins Fettnäpfchen getreten"! :)

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5101 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 

Message 11 of 31
03 May 2014 at 12:46pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
No, it's "du bist ins Fettnäpfchen getreten"! :)

I didn't expect two mistakes in one sentence. :-)
1 person has voted this message useful

Jiwon
Triglot
Korea, South
Joined 6217 days ago

1417 posts - 1500 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2, Korean*, GermanC1
Studies: Hindi, Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 12 of 31
03 May 2014 at 2:43pm | IP Logged 
At the moment I'm learning dozens of German idioms by actually sketching out the literal
meanings. So for "Ich muss die Gürtel enger schnallen" I would sketch a figure tightening
up his belt.

Jacke wie Hose, das ist mir Wurst, nicht alle Tassen im Schrank haben, Schmiere stehen
usw.. Und endlich, ich werde nur für mich die Hand ins Feuer legen (wirklich?) :P

Edited by Jiwon on 03 May 2014 at 2:44pm

yantai_scot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4583 days ago

157 posts - 214 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 13 of 31
03 May 2014 at 4:10pm | IP Logged 
Thanks everyone for setting me right. I'll look into these and start trying with some
easy ones that complement my rather low vocab level right now.

Thanks too for giving me a better picture of what an idiom actually is.

Expanding upon that, has anyone come across any extremely literal languages? Not
necessarily creatively lacking, but saying exactly what it means?

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5101 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 

Message 14 of 31
03 May 2014 at 4:50pm | IP Logged 
Jiwon wrote:
At the moment I'm learning dozens of German idioms by actually sketching out the literal meanings. So for "Ich muss die Gürtel enger schnallen" I would sketch a figure tightening
up his belt.

Since most people only wear one belt, you'd usually use "Ich muss den Gürtel enger schnallen"

Jiwon wrote:
Schmiere stehen

That idiom, too, is mostly found in books and movies.

Jiwon wrote:
Und endlich, ich werde nur für mich die Hand ins Feuer legen (wirklich?) :P

At least in English, you can offer to literally put your hand in the fire for a friend, because the OED has given in and added figuratively as one of the meanings of literally.

yantai_scot wrote:
Expanding upon that, has anyone come across any extremely literal languages?

No, but there's an old TNG episode, Darmok, in which the main protagonist faces the opposite problem--an alien culture that only uses idioms.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 15 of 31
03 May 2014 at 5:28pm | IP Logged 
The issue here is that being literal/idiomatic isn't objective. It depends on what you're used to. For example it's often said that we Russians are very direct, and I certainly find it hard to match the expected level of subtlety, but anyone from Western Europe learning Russian will also tell you that we say things in completely different ways from what they're used to. They may even like it but it's still strange and unnatural at least at first.

Esperanto may be the closest to what you're looking for. Natural languages just don't work like that, and any counter-examples are at least somewhat artificial, like a standard literary language that attempts to make things logical and straightforward. Medieval Latin was also like that, and actually this also partially applies to "Globish" (global English as used by and between non-natives).

It's a slightly dangerous topic tbh. I know you didn't mean it in a bad way, but that's not very far from discussing which language is objectively better/more rich/more sensible. Historically, languages like Latin, Greek, Sanskrit have been claimed to be that, but this was obviously just due to their cultural importance.

Edited by Serpent on 03 May 2014 at 5:34pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4488 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 16 of 31
04 May 2014 at 1:43pm | IP Logged 
The putting your hand in the fire is from a
Roman tale. It's used more widely.

This discussion contains 31 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version