31 messages over 4 pages: 1 2 3
ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 4988 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 25 of 31
05 May 2014 at 10:01pm | IP Logged 
Doitsujin wrote:
The problems with idioms is that many of them become quickly outdated.

Some do, but is there any reason to think they go out of date faster than the rest of vocabulary? An idiom like "break a leg" I imagine has a long pedigree.

As to when to learn idioms, treat them as any other chunk of vocabulary, which is really all they are.
1 person has voted this message useful

yantai_scot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4562 days ago

157 posts - 214 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 26 of 31
05 May 2014 at 10:36pm | IP Logged 
Apologies for the wording of the original question. I don't have a background in even
basic linguistics beyond school grammar so I wasn't as precise in asking as I should have
been. I need to get my hands on a basic textbook on the subject.

I'm going to take the comment about toki pona and run with it. The other comment about
the Star Trek TNG episode- I remember it and yes, I guess I was wondering if there were
any languages that were the complete opposite. I didn't/don't know if it's even possible,
the way humans use and shape language. Just a question that popped into my head.

Lastly, I must second the 'Is that a Fish in Your Ear' book by David Bellos. It's a
brilliant read in itself. I have the 'Through the Looking Glass', by Guy Deutscher but I
haven't been able to get into it.

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5080 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 27 of 31
05 May 2014 at 10:45pm | IP Logged 
Bao wrote:
What if, just maybe, people do think of the idioms they actually use as something a learner doesn't need to know at their current stage, or shouldn't attempt to use?

Of course, it doesn't makes sense to force-feed idioms to language learners that are not likely to understand them. My comments were primarily directed at teachers and textbook authors.

ScottScheule wrote:
Doitsujin wrote:
The problems with idioms is that many of them become quickly outdated.

Some do, but is there any reason to think they go out of date faster than the rest of vocabulary?

IMHO, many of them do. I've seen many German idiom books that were already partially outdated by the time they were published.

ScottScheule wrote:
As to when to learn idioms, treat them as any other chunk of vocabulary, which is really all they are.

IMHO, they're much more than just chunks of vocabulary; they're often vocabulary items with built-in usage examples. :-)

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 4988 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 28 of 31
05 May 2014 at 11:21pm | IP Logged 
Doitsujin wrote:
IMHO, many of them do. I've seen many German idiom books that were already partially outdated by the time they were published.

Sure, and I don't say "groovy" or "bogart," though Dad probably did. I'm asking if idioms go out of date faster than the rest of the non-idiomatic lexicon. There's lots of words, simple words, quite popular in the 70s, 80s, and 90s, that are similarly outdated.

Doitsujin wrote:
IMHO, they're much more than just chunks of vocabulary; they're often vocabulary items with built-in usage examples. :-)

I meant each idiom is, essentially, a single vocabulary item. "By dint of" need be learned as a unit, just like you'd learn "rabbit" or "although." Or "groovy."

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5526 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 29 of 31
06 May 2014 at 12:01am | IP Logged 
ScottScheule wrote:
Sure, and I don't say "groovy"

Instant earworm.

Doitsujin, I don't trust textbooks on idioms. I've seen too many occasions where idioms were translated to German idioms that were very close in meaning, but that I would never use if even as a joke. I don't mind understanding weird outdated words and idioms, but textbook vocabulary is usually presented as vocabulary that you are supposed to memorize and learn to use actively.

ScottScheule, I think that idioms are similar to other kinds of lexical items, but not the same: to me it seems much easier to change parts of an idiom than to coin a new word. Like, instead of "Für ihn würde ich die Hand ins Feuer legen!" one might say "Für den würd' ich nicht mal den kleinen Finger ins Feuer legen!" (I'd put my hand in the fire for him/I wouldn't even put my pinky in the fire for him)

Edited by Bao on 07 May 2014 at 9:11pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4669 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 30 of 31
07 May 2014 at 8:29am | IP Logged 
This is pretty groovey:
Scaterd Few song, Groovey

Yeah, I still use the word groovey, in reference to music. Especially the current wave of retro psychedelic music in the UK. Like this new(ish) band:
Temples - Shelter Song
That I would say is "groovey as s**t".

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4428 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 31 of 31
07 May 2014 at 7:58pm | IP Logged 
There are no good books on modern Brazilian Portuguese idioms,
idioms are scattered across general dictionaries, and ''dicionários de frases feitas'' are hard to find,
there are two or three of them, and they follow the mantra ''let's include all idioms we can find, from the year 1500 up to now,
sociolinguistically these idiom dictionaries are poorly organized, stylistic and even regional/geographical usage is not properly marked.
Most Brazilians have not heard these idioms, since they're well outdated (if not archaic).

On the other hand, I have a really nice book on modern idioms of Argentine Spanish:

A good idiom dictionary: you open it, learn an idiom, use it with native speakers, get praised.
A bad idiom dictionary: you open it, learn an idiom, use it with native speakers, get strange looks because this idiom is no longer used.

Edited by Medulin on 07 May 2014 at 8:09pm

This discussion contains 31 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version