United States
Joined 3644 days ago

28 posts - 37 votes
Speaks: Arabic (Written), Arabic (Egyptian)*, English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 9 of 12
23 May 2014 at 2:16am | IP Logged 
mercutio wrote:

also for people like myself with the 1987 version is there enough difference to warrant getting the 2014 one
instead? I only bought mine recently and am on lesson 8 in the 1987 one.... so it would have to be worth it buying a
new version. I was given the audio free by someone.

Only you can decide whether getting the new version is worth it to you. I can afford to get it so I did. I also like some
of the small changes they made to this new edition.

There is nothing wrong with the 1987 edition while the text of the lessons is different, the idea behind the Assimil
method is the same whether you use the 1987 edition or the 2014 edition.
1 person has voted this message useful

haziz
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 3644 days ago

28 posts - 37 votes
Speaks: Arabic (Written), Arabic (Egyptian)*, English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 10 of 12
23 May 2014 at 2:24am | IP Logged 
Komma wrote:

Another question: I've got the 2007 version and don't want to buy the whole course again.
I thought about getting the book only. Does this make sense? concerning that it has
different/less lessons? Or are the lessons in the new book the same as in the 2007
version and just a few less/ different order? Then I could still use the audio at least
in most cases.. I wouldn't mind missing a few lessons with audio.. I would just go
through them without...

Assuming you have the English base version, then no this is a new edition with completely rewritten lessons not a
new sequence for the 1987 edition lessons, and therefore the audio is different.

I give my impression of the 2014 edition in comparison to the 1987 edition in my post above. Please note that
the 2014 edition I refer to is a new English base translation of the French base L'Espagnol course that had been
available in the French base for a couple of years (I am not sure exactly how many years).

Komma
Diglot
Germany
Joined 3841 days ago

107 posts - 134 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish

Message 11 of 12
23 May 2014 at 7:51am | IP Logged 
@haziz:
Thanks for your answer. So I think I'll stick to my version until I might afford to buy
the newer one.
I actually only found the new book without CDs and I don't want to open the assimil.fr
site because my norton says that there is an unnoticed malicious download going on in the
background... And on amazon where I can buy (which is only amazon.de) I only found the
book..

mercutio
United Kingdom
Joined 3625 days ago

19 posts - 26 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 12 of 12
23 May 2014 at 6:09pm | IP Logged 
Don't know if anyone with the new 2014 version of the audio is interested in a trade?

I have a whole bunch of audio in Spanish they may be interested in trading, obviously I don't want to infringe
copyright etc, I am not suggesting that, but I figure a straight up audio trade is ok, my audio for your audio, if
anyone interested who has the 2014 assimil audio please direct message me and I will let them know the Spanish
audio courses I have available.

I have decided I will buy the new 2014 book its just the audio I cannot afford but I don't want to have that as a
barrier to learning.

Edited by mercutio on 23 May 2014 at 6:11pm

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version