rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5031 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 9 of 21
07 May 2014 at 11:48am | IP Logged 
yantai_scot wrote:

This year, it's in Deutsch! Forgiving tourist permitting...

When I went to Rome last month I kept a notebook in my pocket, and I had drawn out squares which represented 10 minutes of speech with a native Italian, and another set of squares per person. So I went for four days and had a target of speaking 4 hours per day and to 30 people.

I managed to get 30 people, but only for very short periods of time. Actually the longest conversation with a total stranger I had in Italy was talking to a homeless guy about his two dogs in a metro station for about 30-40 minutes. He was really happy and excited to talk about his two dogs, and I was happy to give him €20 since I've paid more for less worthwhile lessons.

French is easier for me since I work in a company with 5-6 French natives in the building. But they quickly get bored of me and switch to English. :(

Personally I've found skype language exchanges easier than trying to stalk tourists.

5 persons have voted this message useful

yantai_scot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4597 days ago

157 posts - 214 votes 
Studies: German

Message 10 of 21
07 May 2014 at 12:03pm | IP Logged 
Skype is definitively looming as a next step- I know it needs to be done but I feel my
writing is far too weak still. If I can't compose a reasonably competent short letter,
speaking isn't going to last long or be particularly intelligible. But I have had lessons
by Skype recommended to me by other forumites which seems like a good starting point.
I've just got to get over 'the fear'.
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6392 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 11 of 21
07 May 2014 at 2:56pm | IP Logged 
yantai_scot wrote:
So, am I right in thinking that the moral of the story is that you politely, tentatively dangle the bait of an interaction should the opportunity arise but not to expect anything? And to consider that the person you're approaching may react negatively (for a variety of reasons) so to judge the situation and person before getting too overexcited and blustering in?

I'd also say it's good to wait until you overhear the person speak this language to someone else, as opposed to hunting based just on the looks (especially when racial differences are involved). It's creepy, and as Gemuse said it's also simply easier to reply in the heritage language if you're already in the right mode.

At a restaurant, you can ask about a specific food (in English) and see if they pronounce the name in a native-like way. That's already some evidence that they might speak the language. (assuming the language is used in the menu - I've seen more Italian menus in Russia, Poland or Finland than in Malta :D)

Also, attend various cultural events. Do your best to prove that you're serious about the language, and not just want to show off how you know 3 words. That's especially important if you're not alone, and your friend (etc) isn't learning the language. Don't let them praise you in the typical monolingual way.

As Iversen's example shows, reading stuff in L2 will get you noticed. Speaking of that, don't deflate like a balloon if the person doesn't happen to speak the language. They don't owe it to you. (general "you", like everywhere else in this post)

Finally, be open-minded. Try to learn from negative experiences and accept the possibility that what you said or did might be perceived as racist, xenophobic, sexist etc. If you have friends from said culture, listen to them and don't be defensive.

Edited by Serpent on 07 May 2014 at 3:02pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

yantai_scot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4597 days ago

157 posts - 214 votes 
Studies: German

Message 12 of 21
08 May 2014 at 3:40pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, Serpent. I'd never go by looks. Scotland might not be as multicultural as, say,
New York, but I don't think I ever, in the UK at least, assume anyone wasn't born here
or hasn't at least lived here for a few years regardless of ethnicity or clothing.
Maybe my best bet for encounters is to let the language find me...

As for existing contacts, my best friend does now email and text me largely in German
and I in return depending on how energetic we feel (we live 400 miles apart). Which I
realise is very generous as she's delightfully stereotypically Teutonic in her pursuit
of excellence. And my grammar is 'dreadful'. :) although hopefully improved from that
assessment a couple of months ago...

The idea of cultural events is very useful and not something I'd considered at all.
Thanks. Someone (sorry I can't remember their username right now) has kindly let me
know about a couple of Scottish conversation groups. I could also be looking up the
Goethe Institute in Glasgow. I know they do the language exams and classes so they
might do other activities. On the same theme, if I joined the eye-wateringly expensive
evening classes at the university, I get free membership of the FL film club. So that
might be another tool.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6498 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 13 of 21
08 May 2014 at 4:57pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
,As Iversen's example shows, reading stuff in L2 will get you noticed. Speaking of that, don't deflate like a balloon if the person doesn't happen to speak the language.

Actually I didn't deflate - the girl did when she realized she hadn't found another Portuguese expat. And mostly people don't notice my weird choice of reading materials - either they are busy with their mobile phones or they just try to survive the trip to their destination.

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4460 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 14 of 21
08 May 2014 at 5:00pm | IP Logged 
I imagine people remarking on your reading choice is a bit more likely if you're in a Latin Alphabet country and reading something in Arabic, Thai, or Mandarin.

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5031 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 15 of 21
08 May 2014 at 5:28pm | IP Logged 
I remember a fellow reading a book in Italian on the train when I worked in London. But never worked up the nerve to interrupt him.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6392 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 16 of 21
08 May 2014 at 7:06pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
Serpent wrote:
,As Iversen's example shows, reading stuff in L2 will get you noticed. Speaking of that, don't deflate like a balloon if the person doesn't happen to speak the language.

Actually I didn't deflate - the girl did when she realized she hadn't found another Portuguese expat.
I know. I meant it's better not to show your disappointment the way the girl did :)

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version