Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4690 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 1 of 3
08 May 2014 at 6:14pm | IP Logged 
Browsing French grammars on Amazon.co.uk, I found a new TY book coming out in October 2014:

Enjoy French: Teach Yourself,
by Jean-Claude Arragon is a workbook + mp3 CD for "intermediate to advanced" students. Teach Yourself are notorious for releasing previous courses in new packaging with
very little change, and so I checked descriptions for previous TY and this is what I found:

Teach Yourself: Improve your
French
(2004)
Quote:
The book covers a wide range of topics of the sort you will want to talk about when in France and teaches you the kind of everyday language and features of speech
that will enable you to communicate with confidence and feel comfortable taking part in conversation with native speakers of French. The choice of material aims to give
you something of the flavour of France today and each unit is based around a single theme with lively interviews and conversations on the accompanying recording.

Perfect Your French
(2011)
Quote:
Full of authentic texts and dialogues about complex subjects, this course covers a wide range of topics of the sort you will want to talk about when in France and
teaches you the kind of everyday language and features of speech that will enable you to communicate with confidence and feel comfortable taking part in conversation with
native speakers of France. The choice of material aims to give you something of the flavour of France today and each unit is based around a single theme with lively
interviews and conversations on the accompanying recording.

Enjoy French: Teach Yourself (2014)
Quote:
Full of authentic texts and dialogues about complex subjects, this course covers a wide range of topics of the sort you will want to talk about when in France and
teaches you the kind of everyday language and features of speech that will enable you to communicate with confidence and feel comfortable taking part in conversation with
native speakers of French. The choice of material aims to give you something of the flavour of France today and each unit is based around a single theme with lively
interviews and conversations on the accompanying recording.

Now I don't mind a book being updated and re-released; most publishers release multiple editions. But they usually state, "2nd edition", "3rd edition", etc. TY are
possibly trying to fool people into buying an old book in new clothing. Unfortunately, it's hard to tell with them. TY French Conversation was re-released as two sets:
"Get Talking French" and "Keep Talking French", but there was a large amount of new material added to the old.

I haven't actually used Improve your French or Perfect Your French, but the reviews are good, and I have been thinking about using one of them as a follow up to Assimil
(hopefully to get a fuller grasp of grammar). I might actually buy the new book when it comes out.
6 persons have voted this message useful

Hungringo
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 3769 days ago

168 posts - 329 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, English, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 2 of 3
08 May 2014 at 6:50pm | IP Logged 
TY Improve your French is OK, but Palgrave Macmillan's Mastering French 2 (perhaps also doing Mastering French 1 first) is way better for your purpose. The only snag is the difficulty of obtaining the cassettes.

Mastering French 1

Mastering French 2

Edited by Hungringo on 08 May 2014 at 6:58pm

1 person has voted this message useful

haziz
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 3643 days ago

28 posts - 37 votes
Speaks: Arabic (Written), Arabic (Egyptian)*, English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 3 of 3
09 May 2014 at 12:01pm | IP Logged 
I too found it a bit confusing when I looked at what ultimately proved to be two editions of Teach Yourself Latin
American Spanish by Juan Kattan-Ibarra, namely a second and third editions of the same book. They are poorly
labelled on the Teach Yourself website and very poorly labelled on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1444192647/ref=oh_details_o 02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Latin-American-Spanish-Audio/ dp/0071750649/ref=sr_1_16?
s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1399629019&sr=1-16

I ultimately purchased both; it turns out the first link is a new edition (the third) of the text. Fortunately the
changes are substantial enough to make me feel not cheated. There is now a greater emphasis on fairly useful
exercises and a self discovery of the language, which of course TY is now calling their "Discovery Method"; while
their earlier text had large swathes of grammar explanations and cultural background in English. The new book is
a little shorter but with a tighter emphasis on self discovery of the target language. I really doubt it would get me
to intermediate mastery of the language however, as it claims. It is more of beginners Spanish with an emphasis
on travel needs.

Edited by haziz on 09 May 2014 at 12:04pm

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version