4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 9 of 40
09 May 2014 at 6:31pm | IP Logged 
So, it's this time of the year again...
Eurovision anyone? (HTLAL, a year ago)

A handful of quite interesting songs, some really good ones, and of course a lot of songs which makes me wonder how they could win in their home country in the first place... Same thing with the Swedish competition Melodifestivalen (Wikipedia) - four semifinals, each with eight contestants. And those are said to be the "best" ones, out of thousands of submissions. A strange world, indeed.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4449 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 10 of 40
09 May 2014 at 6:52pm | IP Logged 
I don't like Eurovision, and I don't like Sanna's Undo.
I preferred her ''Vågar du, vågar jag''.
1 person has voted this message useful

zografialep
Hexaglot
Groupie
GreeceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3920 days ago

41 posts - 71 votes 
Speaks: Ancient Greek, Greek*, EnglishC2, GermanB2, Spanish, Latin
Studies: Russian

Message 11 of 40
09 May 2014 at 9:06pm | IP Logged 
I used to watch eurovision like a maniac, but now I just think that it's a joke. The
songs competing are nearly all English and even more rediculous every year, it's just
painful to watch...
The entries that I loved, which were sung in the native languages are those:

- Cyprus 2008- greek.- It's not
usually the type of music I hear, but it does have a nice rythm and voice and is pretty
traditional as well. Pity it didn't pass!

Spain 2008 -spanish- OK, it is
weird, but it's so much fun! It was a great hit in Greece for a long time, we danced to
it a lot.

Greece 2010- greek- I'm probably
a bit biased, but this song is just the personification of fun and redicule at the same
time. I can't believe we actually sent something like it, but at the same time hearing
it brings a smile to my face... I just can't help loving it :D

Bosnia & Herzegovina

Bosnian/ Serbian/ Croatian - such a beautiful song... It recieved the third place in
the final in Athens. This was just too good for Eurovision.

Russia 2012- Udmurt(!), a
Russian dialect(?)- Now, you
can't deny that this one was adorable! And traditional too .

And last but not least, my personal favourite:
Serbia 2007- Serbian/ Croatian/
Bosnian- this song got first place and rightly so. Just hearing it sends shiver down my
spine... I need to learn Serbian and go there now! :)

If you know other good eurovision songs in the respective native languages, please add
them, if you want. It's a shame that everyone sends song in English, when they have the
chance to show their country. Especially countries in the north, like Germany, Holland
and the Scandinavian... It would be so great and interesting if everyone sang in their
native language- Eurovision would be a paradise for polyglots! I wish that this happens
in the future.

Edited by zografialep on 10 May 2014 at 2:52pm

eyðimörk
Triglot
France
goo.gl/aT4FY7
Joined 3880 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French
Studies: Breton, Italian

Message 12 of 40
09 May 2014 at 10:11pm | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
A handful of quite interesting songs, some really good ones, and of course a lot of songs which makes me wonder how they could win in their home country in the first place...

I don't know if all of the ESC entries are actually "winners" to start with. There is no "Melodifestivalen" type contest in France, for example. This year, three contestants were chosen by a jury, out of who knows how many and what kind of entries, and played once on a weekly (I think - I don't watch it) music programme, after which you could vote for your favourite song for a month or two by SMS. Finally, not too long ago, the winner of the SMS vote was announced on the same TV show.

I wouldn't be surprised if other countries have an even less public/participatory way of picking its ESC entries.

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5842 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 13 of 40
09 May 2014 at 10:47pm | IP Logged 
Back in the day, the Eurovision Song Contest was hot. Songs that won were very popular. Many songs people still remember won the Contest.

If you're under 20, maybe you never heard of "Non ho l'età", "Puppet on a string" or "Waterloo". These were nice songs. They still are. People didn't forget them after a month, like a lot of the... marvelous songs we get today.

I come from a country that's never won the contest, and most of the times was in the last positions. For a few years, we weren't last because of Norway or Greece. Thanks, people from small countries with hard languages.

Then it went out of style, and at the same time show business tried to cash in on it. Bad combination.

P.S. #1: Our entry in the 1974 contest ("E depois do adeus") was used on the radio as a signal to start the revolution, along with another song. Every year, we get to hear it a lot. :)

P.S. #2: I just watched a few of those songs (a few from before I was born) on youtube. Some were really, really good.

Edited by Luso on 09 May 2014 at 11:10pm

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4314 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 14 of 40
09 May 2014 at 11:06pm | IP Logged 
Personally can't stand the Eurovision Pop style in general, but love watching it anyway in a bar over drinks.

I agree that the ubiquity of English is a pain, but isn't simply because about 50% of Europeans speak this language and perhaps the musicians want people to understand the lyrics (as admittedly stupid as they are).

So as I see it people aren't singing so native English speakers can understand them, but so other non-native-English-speaking Europeans can.

I do admit forcing all the countries to compete in Esperanto would be fun.

Edited by patrickwilken on 09 May 2014 at 11:07pm

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4790 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 15 of 40
09 May 2014 at 11:17pm | IP Logged 
Yes, Waterloo. Even ABBA "had to" sing in English (despite many of their songs being in their native Swedish as well) to succeed.

Sure, they want to gain popularity through people understanding their lyrics. But I think it is totally wrong because people love many songs in other languages despite not understanding. Music is a language by itself. There are hundreds of millions (if not more) people who love rock music despite not understanding English.

So, the only way to make countries send artists sing in their languages would be an official rule "has to be in official language of the country" but that would raise a wave of resistance because "GB and Ireland got an unfair advantage".

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4790 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 16 of 40
09 May 2014 at 11:21pm | IP Logged 
Hmm. I wonder, does it even make sense to have Eurovision anymore? It is quite proven that the mainstream media don't care about diversity in music (therefore new or different things will continue to be a rarity there) and we've got more than enough such competitions anywhere. Clones and variations on the American Idol are plentiful, there are song contests, there are radio charts and so on. Is the european public still interested in a contest of mediocre music of the same style and language, just from various locations?

This discussion contains 40 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version