15 messages over 2 pages: 1
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6407 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 9 of 15
11 May 2014 at 11:48am | IP Logged 
It's about talking to yourself :)
How much listening have you done and how easily do you understand other people?
2 persons have voted this message useful

albysky
Triglot
Italy
lang-8.com/1108796Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4198 days ago

287 posts - 393 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German

Message 10 of 15
11 May 2014 at 12:16pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
It's about talking to yourself :)
How much listening have you done and how easily do you understand other people?

thanks for the link , I have done roughly 600 hours of listening . I can understand quite easily radio
programms about politics and popular science , of course I miss some words here and there ,but overall I
really cannot complain . I have used German with people seldomly , I had pretty much no problems
understanding people and communicate although I was not so reactive and expressive as I could be in
english , let alone some grammar mistakes , but I guess English is a way safer ground as I read
someplace in a post .
1 person has voted this message useful

leosmith
United States
Joined 6360 days ago

2365 posts - 3804 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Tagalog

Message 11 of 15
13 May 2014 at 7:22am | IP Logged 
albysky wrote:
Do you think there is any connection between these two skills ? I am especially curious to know if
you think that reading aloud can improve the ability to speak .

There are connections between all skills, so amongst other things, reading aloud can improve your ability to speak.
Of course, the best thing to improve your ability to converse is to converse often with native speakers.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6407 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 12 of 15
13 May 2014 at 4:34pm | IP Logged 
Actually it was me who mentioned the "safe ground". I was mostly speaking about grammar - most Western Europeans can just learn very little, stick to simple structures, and make very few mistakes in English. Russian or Mandarin native speakers can't do that :-)

So if you lack automacity in grammar or don't get enough exposure, you need to address these issues too.

albysky
Triglot
Italy
lang-8.com/1108796Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4198 days ago

287 posts - 393 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German

Message 13 of 15
14 May 2014 at 7:12pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:

So if you lack automacity in grammar or don't get enough exposure, you need to address these issues too.

Well , I have been told that I am quite correct ,but the fact that in German you have semi-arbitrary genders
and other little things enhances drammatically the chance of making mistakes . English due to its
stracture is easier to handle grammarwise .

Edited by albysky on 14 May 2014 at 7:14pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6407 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 14 of 15
14 May 2014 at 7:56pm | IP Logged 
It's not only about whether you can avoid mistakes. It's about whether it's stressful for you to do that, whether you need to think of the grammar consciously.

While in some way English is objectively easier than German, exposure is crucial too.

Edited by Serpent on 14 May 2014 at 7:58pm

Darya0Khoshki
Triglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4878 days ago

71 posts - 91 votes 
Speaks: English*, Arabic (Written), Arabic (Iraqi)
Studies: Persian

Message 15 of 15
21 May 2014 at 9:52pm | IP Logged 
Self-talk and reading out loud are both helpful. The advantage of reading out loud is
that you learn to speak things CORRECTLY verses talking to yourself -- you may be making
mistakes when you come up with it on your own.

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version