Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 3776 days ago

168 posts - 329 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, English, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 1 of 3
10 May 2014 at 11:55pm | IP Logged 
Has any of you tried Portugués Dinámico. This seems to be a new Brazilian Portuguese book written for Spanish-speakers.

Portugués Dinámico

It is a bit pricey.
1 person has voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5050 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 2 of 3
11 May 2014 at 12:47am | IP Logged 
It looks very similar to the other "Português para estrangeiros" courses. On a cursory look, it appears to be mostly monolingual instruction, which, as a Spanish-speaker is sufficient to acquire the basics.

I did a fair bit of "Bem-vindo" which is structured similarly. As far as the price goes for "Português Dinámico" that's fairly typical for anything coming out of Brazil. It does seem to include shipping. Brazil is a fairly expensive country for books and media. "Bem-vindo" and "Novo Avenida Brasil" can be picked up on ebay, used, and are very similar.

What I did, as a Spanish-speaker, was just jump in and start reading and listening. I also used DLI Portuguese Basic Course which is a bit dated but probably the most thorough course I've ever come across. It's mostly monolingual with very little English used. My Spanish discount allowed me to jump in at Unit 4. I had been listening to Brazilian music for years. When I decided to start learning the language seriously, I started listening, listening and reading, and reading. The course was there to help me and sort of explain things I'd already seen and heard.

I wouldn't recommend one of these "Português para estrangeiros" courses to a learner who didn't have a high level of Spanish. For someone who does, like yourself, you don't need a traditional "learn from scratch" type course because your Spanish is there to inform you and draw upon for guidance to a large extent. But watch out! You can rely upon your Spanish only so much. They really are different languages.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Hungringo
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 3776 days ago

168 posts - 329 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, English, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 3 of 3
11 May 2014 at 11:25am | IP Logged 
I am not going to start learning Portuguese until after Christmas but I am already keeping an eye out for possible resources. I have a preference for the Brazilian version. I have purchased Assimil's Portugués de Brasil, TY Brazilian Portuguese, Colloquial Portuguese of Brazil 1-2. I also have Bem-vindo and Novo Avenida in pdf and have downloaded the FSI courses as well. Having all these materials I probably won't buy Portugués Dinámico.

Edited by Hungringo on 11 May 2014 at 11:27am

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version