Michel1020
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4805 days ago

365 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish, Dutch

Message 1 of 4
11 May 2014 at 4:51pm | IP Logged 
I like to watch my favorite tv series and movies in my target languages.
For example I have Star Trek dvd dubbed in french, Spanish, German and Italian - plus of course the original English. These 5 languages on the same dvd is the best available on the market here - more often you will only get 2 languages, the original English and the dubbing in the local language.

I know Star Trek to exist in japanese and in catalan - (I downloaded one episode in catalan by accident in stead of Spanish). I am about sure it does not exist in dutch. What about other EU languages - what about russian, mandarin, arabic, korean, ... ?

If you have a dvd with multi soundtracks - it is possible to make mp3 files out of each soundtrack.

So my idea is to exchange these soundtrack mp3 files to add more languages to your dvd.

There are ways to merge files - however the easy way I think is to run both the mp3 file and the dvd in 2 readers at the same time (audacity and vlc).
1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4797 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 2 of 4
11 May 2014 at 10:46pm | IP Logged 
It is possible to make the Mp3 files, I remember reading someone who recommended listening to such mp3 on the go and had had great success with it.

However, I think it is easier to just download the series with another dubbing directly. It might be hard to get the timing right when you merge the new sound together with the image.

And, such exchange wouldn't be possible through the means of this forum because, just as many other natural and practical things, it is against the copyright for sure.

Michel1020
Tetraglot
Belgium
Joined 4805 days ago

365 posts - 559 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish, Dutch

Message 3 of 4
12 May 2014 at 7:03pm | IP Logged 
Well the timing doesn't have to be perfect - since actors speak English on the screen and we listen to other languages. A good timing is not impossible.

Downloads are indeed illegal.
So is extracting the soundtracks of your legal dvd for your own usage
and looping for a word you don't understand.
Also illegal is not watching a work from A to Z - not reading the end credits - watching your dvd outside of your home - watching with your new love one (before she, he is part of your family).
Illegal to watch US series in japanese if you are in Europe or in German if you are in Japan.
Blablabla.

I am quite tired of people pointing all the illegal I do on a regular base (I am not tired of reading you Cavesa).

I am about sure it is not legal to force people to buy 5 soundtracks and 10 subtitles when most of them are only interested in one or two - however I only purchase dvd because of the many soundtracks and subtitles.

As for this forum - it is possible to talk in private.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4797 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 4 of 4
18 June 2014 at 4:48pm | IP Logged 
Ah, I accidetally found your answer a little late, sorry Michel1020.

I am pointing it out as a reason why we should not exchange the sound files through this forum or links here because it is the wish of the administrator that we don't. And it is his forum. Yes, we can talk in private but I'd consider it the best to exchange other means, such as an email adress since the administrator, if I remember correctly, said he didn't liked such things being in any way on his forum (and the private messages are part of that)

Other than that, I am all for downloading. It is not illegal per se, upload is (and therefore torrents), even though some ugly changes in the EU's approach are being cooked as we speak.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version