1 sounds
Speaks: German*, DutchC1, EnglishB2, French, Italian, Spanish, Esperanto
Studies: Latin, Danish, Norwegian, Turkish
Personal Language Map

Message 9 of 10
14 May 2014 at 3:49pm | IP Logged 
HolyGrail wrote:
Hi guys, thanks for the feedback.

Fasulye: I tried to find @AlOlaf in the Buddy list but it says he doesn't exist! Is there any other way of contacting
him?

Holy Grail, you are new in the forum, so I will explain you how you can send a PM to an unknown forum member. In the Buddy List you can only find those people with which you already had contact with and which you manually had added to this list. So as a complete forum newbie your Buddy List is always empty! You can send PMs to anybody, not only to buddies.

To send a new messsage to anybody you click on "New Message" and then you see a field called "To Username" and a titlefield. In the field "To Username" you fill in the nickname of the person, so in this case "AlOlaf" and in the titlefield you fill in for example "Question about...". You write the message and send it to him.

I hope that this works now for you, it's really not so complicated to send PMs.

Fasulye
1 person has voted this message useful

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4315 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 10 of 10
14 May 2014 at 4:40pm | IP Logged 
I vaguely remember some limitations with PM, ie. that newbies' PMs take quite a while
to
find their recipient. If I remember correctly, writing a message in one of his logs
might be more fruitful.

but on topic:
One can use praat (www.praat.org) to write a script that does this. The hardest/most
unreliable part would be the detection of the end of a sentence. But I guess even a
trivial algorithm based on the length of low amplitude might work for 80% or so of the
sentences, but this probably depends on the language in question and the narrator.
Using pitch and intensity information might give better results, but only thinking
about the implementation gives me headaches.

Would manually marking the cut/insertion point be an option? You would play the sound
file and whenever a sentence ends, you press <tab> <enter> <tab>. You can then use a
trivial script to enter silence at these points.

Edited by daegga on 14 May 2014 at 4:53pm

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version