12 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
kevingreece
United States
Joined 3839 days ago

12 posts - 20 votes
Studies: Greek

Message 1 of 12
13 May 2014 at 7:55pm | IP Logged 
I'm sure this has been talked about somewhere else on this forum, but I can't find it. I've been using music to help
improve my listening comprehension of Greek. Does anyone find this to be the best way to improve listening
comprehension? What are the pros and cons as opposed to other means, such as listening to the radio, etc.?
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4517 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 2 of 12
13 May 2014 at 9:45pm | IP Logged 
The nice thing about music (especially if you use types of music which is sung to be
projected into a room) is that words are pronounced clearly and that you have a melody
to associate the tune to. This melody helps you remember. Often songs use rhyme and
other stylistic devices which means that you can use them as mnemonics.

However the really nice thing you can do with songs is to take the lyrics and learn
vocabulary from them.

The problem with this is that you are holding it up as a single approach to improve
listening and that's never going to hold up. To get better at listening you have to
listen to Greek being used in many different environments, casual registers, newscaster
voices and so on. The best way to improve your listening is to do lots of it, focusing
first on meaning and then on detail.

Another thing that is important is to master the pronunciation, so you understand what
sounds corresponds to what is being said in Greek. Especially because the Anglophone
way of speaking sounds very different from that of Greek, which uses much simpler
vowels and has consonants you do not find in English, as well as using a very different
sentence melody. Learn to roll your r's, as well.

Edited by tarvos on 13 May 2014 at 9:46pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4719 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 3 of 12
14 May 2014 at 2:25pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
The nice thing about music (especially if you use types of music which is
sung to be projected into a room) is that words are pronounced clearly

I agree with everything else you said, except this. Sometimes the words are pronounced
clearly, sometimes they aren't. Since the melody and rhythm come first, even in music
which is meant to be clearly heard words might not be clearly pronounced. Pronunciation
and rhythm will often deviate quite a bit from how words are spoken when not sung. For
example, a two syllable word might be extended to several more syllables. Accent,
emphasis and intonation will differ quite a bit from spoken language.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4819 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 4 of 12
14 May 2014 at 5:15pm | IP Logged 
I love listening to songs in my target languages. It is an activity that fits into any few minutes long break during the day. The content gets stuck as you listen to music you like repeatedly and so on. Of course, it can't be the only thing you do for practice in order to succeed. But it is an awesome complement. For a few of the most popular languages, there is an awesome site lyricstraining.com but they appear unlikely to ever add other languages as well.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6407 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 5 of 12
14 May 2014 at 6:34pm | IP Logged 
I started a wikia article about that :-)
Music is a great tool but be sure to listen to spoken texts as well. Just try to find something that isn't boring.
4 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4517 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 6 of 12
15 May 2014 at 9:31pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
tarvos wrote:
The nice thing about music (especially if you use
types of music which is
sung to be projected into a room) is that words are pronounced clearly

I agree with everything else you said, except this. Sometimes the words are pronounced
clearly, sometimes they aren't. Since the melody and rhythm come first, even in music
which is meant to be clearly heard words might not be clearly pronounced.
Pronunciation
and rhythm will often deviate quite a bit from how words are spoken when not sung. For
example, a two syllable word might be extended to several more syllables. Accent,
emphasis and intonation will differ quite a bit from spoken language.

Yes, accent can differ, I agree, but the words are usually very clear especially if you
sing in more classical styles :)

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5072 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 7 of 12
16 May 2014 at 2:47am | IP Logged 
Susanna Zaraysky's book Language is Music is an interesting approach to language-learning that I've found useful. She talks about how to Learn Language Through Music in this video. I bought her book in Portuguese for $1.00 and picked up some useful tips. As with everything regarding someone's learning "system", pick and choose what you want.

There's also Idahosa's The “flow” of fluency: How to freestyle rap in a foreign language. Music (song) is often denigrated unfairly, in my opinion, as a learning tool. It can be quite useful, in my experience. I certainly wouldn't use it as my only resource- but as a part of learning.

Edited by iguanamon on 16 May 2014 at 3:31am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6407 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 8 of 12
16 May 2014 at 9:56am | IP Logged 
Yay it's on bookdepository!
edit: and even cheaper in Portuguese :)

Edited by Serpent on 16 May 2014 at 10:00am

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version