Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 3622 days ago

28 posts - 37 votes
Speaks: Arabic (Written), Arabic (Egyptian)*, English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 2
13 May 2014 at 11:26pm | IP Logged 
How long should it take to go through a TY course? I am going through the Teach Yourself Complete Latin American Spanish and am wondering if I am going too fast. By working approximately 1-3 hours per day I am more than halfway through the book in two weeks but feel like I am not retaining as much as I should. I will likely continue to go through it and then repeating the lessons rather than aiming for perfection at one go because I am finding it somewhat frustrating to aim higher. I would rather repeat the lessons over than agonize over them. BTW I am a newbie when it comes to Spanish. I am also using other supplemental material (Assimil, Madrigal and a Grammar book) so I am not totally dependent on the one source, but I regard the TY to be my primary source for now. Will move more to Assimil after I am done with this round of TY Latin American Spanish.

For those who have used the TY system; how long did it take you to go through it once? Do your prefer to attain "perfection" the first time or just repeat until you are comfortable with the material?

Edited by haziz on 14 May 2014 at 8:23pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4926 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 2 of 2
14 May 2014 at 7:32pm | IP Logged 
The TY methods teach bits and pieces of several aspects of the language. They don't go in-depth. I'd rather use them as an initial asset for getting to know the language and the sounds. You can't expect it to build up much on your vocabulary and spontaneity, because it is indeed quite dry. It's aimed at tourists mostly, so it's more likely a phrasebook that has been boosted up with some grammar notes and the fill-in-the-blanks exercises that don't help much towards memorization. Just check how much content there is in an average TY and in an average Living Language or Assimil.

So, if you are able to get hold of more than one TY or TY-like book, I'd recommend you don't spend much time on each of them before moving on to more comprehensive resources or even native materials.
1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version