Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5129 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 1 of 27
14 May 2014 at 12:21am | IP Logged 
I am constantly puzzled at the odd language mixture I hear from my Latin-American friends. Sentences like:
"Esta en el barnehage", o "Es muy flink" comes out regularly, and I usually say nothing, as I do not want to
offend them. I do however give them the Spanish term occasionally, when it is a word which is unknown in
their country, or because they simply forgot.

When I was sitting among a group of Peruvian/ Norwegians the other day, I constantly heard them say "Voy a
cortar el grass", I could not stand it anymore and said: "Excuse me, a little Spanish lesson for the Spanish
speakers here: in Spanish this is called "cesped". " Cesped.

And then they just looked at me, and said" But in Peru we say "grass". Leave it to me to find the one
expression they actually used at home.

Please tell me I am not the only one who has slipped up.

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 14 May 2014 at 5:53am

6 persons have voted this message useful

embici
Triglot
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4405 days ago

263 posts - 370 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Greek

Message 2 of 27
14 May 2014 at 1:26am | IP Logged 
Yikes, I thought "cut the grass" was "podar el pasto." I guess I would have made an ass
of myself too.

1 person has voted this message useful

chokofingrz
Pentaglot
England
Joined 4984 days ago

241 posts - 430 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Catalan, Luxembourgish

Message 3 of 27
14 May 2014 at 1:48am | IP Logged 
I think you should count yourself lucky to have such linguistically interesting friends. Peruvian Norwegians? That is a combination I could never even have dreamed up. I can't imagine what other funny hybrid sayings they come out with.
5 persons have voted this message useful

nicozerpa
Triglot
Argentina
Joined 4121 days ago

182 posts - 315 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Portuguese, English
Studies: Italian, German

Message 4 of 27
14 May 2014 at 4:56am | IP Logged 
Welcome to the wicked world of Latin American Spanish, Cristina! :P

Don't worry, natives can make an a*** of themselves too. In general, a native Spanish speaker knows only one's dialect and just a few words from the dialects of other countries. The classic example is when Spaniards go to Argentina or Mexico and use the verb "coger" (For those who can't speak Spanish: that word means "to take" in Spain, but in these two Latin American countries, it means "to f*ck"!).

If someone told me the phrase "Es muy flink", I'd be surprised, even though I use English words in my Spanish too. Yesterday, for example, I told a coworker: "Florencia, estuviste muy polite", which is not the same as saying "Estuviste muy amable".

This is a awesome music video from the Colombian band "Inténtalo Carito" about the differences among Spanish dialects:
¡Qué difícil que es hablar el español!

Edited by nicozerpa on 14 May 2014 at 5:10am

2 persons have voted this message useful

DaisyMaisy
United States
Joined 5175 days ago

115 posts - 178 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish
Studies: Swedish, Finnish

Message 5 of 27
14 May 2014 at 6:04am | IP Logged 
telling native speakers they are saying something wrong? Yeah, that's kind of making an a** I think :) It sounds like it's just slang. Plus all the regional differences in LA Spanish vs Spain Spanish makes for confusion.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5129 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 6 of 27
14 May 2014 at 7:37am | IP Logged 
DaisyMaisy wrote:
telling native speakers they are saying something wrong? Yeah, that's kind of making
an a** I think :) It sounds like it's just slang. Plus all the regional differences in LA Spanish vs Spain Spanish
makes for confusion.

The thing is that 99% of the time they mix in Norwegian words that are not ever used is Spanish, and it drives
me crazy. My number one "hate sentence" is "Me voy de hytta". Which in Spanish would normally be "Me voy
a la cabaña" (I am going to the cabin/ lodge).

And I never say anything.

I love these people to death, and although I find it very puzzling that they mix in Norwegian terms, when there
are a bunch of Spanish equivalents, I keep my mouth shut. I have been in a room with six Latin-Americans
who did not know the word for that thingimijiggy that you put under a pot or pan when you put in on the table,
in order not to burn the table (salvamanteles). And I understand it in the case where the term describes
something they do not have or use in their language - why would they know the Spanish term for something
they do not use? But I fail to understand why they put in the Norwegian term when there are perfectly good
Spanish terms, known to them, which they have used for a lifetime before they came here.

I use a lot of English in my Norwegian too, but only if there is not a Norwegan term I can use which s equally
precise. It was just my luck that I would jump at the 100th case, where it was a word that was actually used in
their dialect.

eyðimörk
Triglot
France
goo.gl/aT4FY7
Joined 3894 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French
Studies: Breton, Italian

Message 7 of 27
14 May 2014 at 8:49am | IP Logged 
You have very patient and understanding friends, or there's a recurring joke here creating a lot of goodwill. I wouldn't be too happy with someone wanting to police the way I speak when in an informal group of friends (whether they mostly bite their tongue or not), and I definitely wouldn't be happy with someone professing their desire to teach the native Swedish speakers in the room some Swedish... exceptions made for a recurring joke, but if it's all a big joke then it's an embarrassing "my joke fell flat" story, not an embarrassing language story.

Filling in a word that someone is actively searching for is an entirely different animal.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5129 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 8 of 27
14 May 2014 at 9:08am | IP Logged 
Given that we have been best friends for 7 years, and that it is the first time I say anything, I do not think I
have given them much reason for having to be patient with me. Also you have to keep in mind that
Spaniards/Latin-Americans have different attitudes about being direct with each other than Swedes do, and
that the closer you get, the more you can say without people getting offended.

I have had good friends in Spain tell me that I am fat, have no hair, and that I am absolutely useless, and I did
not even think of taking offense.

This discussion contains 27 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version