Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5910 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 9 of 12
28 May 2014 at 3:39pm | IP Logged 
I would recommend picking up a copy of “Plan Curricular del Instituto Cervantes C1\C2”. It covers all the grammar and topics needed for C1 to C2, including numerous examples. It’s a meaty 500 page read, and far more detailed than any course book. It also covers all the cultural knowledge needed for this level. Cultural knowledge seems to be a neglected aspect of language learning and involves knowing facts about the countries where the language is spoken. It includes the ability to recognise music of all genres from the country, the history, politics, the cuisine, all forms of media (television, theatre, radio, papers), and even the names of typical brands. It’s rapidly acquired by living in the country, but it can also be studied as well.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Hungringo
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 3747 days ago

168 posts - 329 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, English, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 10 of 12
28 May 2014 at 5:07pm | IP Logged 
Thanks to everyone for commenting. Well, I have just received the Dominio Perfeccionamiento and Prisma C2 books, both seem to be decent practice books, but at first glance none of them contains new pieces of vocabulary, grammar or cultural info. I am going to use them, but don't expect miracles from them.

I definitely will check out “Plan Curricular del Instituto Cervantes C1\C2” and probably will use newspapers and short stories as textbooks to build a larger vocabulary.

Actually, I am not preparing for the C2 exam, I have passed the C1 exam years ago with very high score, and don't need another piece of paper, just want to have C2 skills.

4 persons have voted this message useful

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4049 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 11 of 12
28 May 2014 at 11:03pm | IP Logged 
How did you obtain a copy? I find that only Casa Del Libro have it, but only combined
with the A1/A2, B1/B2 volumes, which a C student would not need. Amazon sell a "mini"
version though, but it also contains A and B levels.

Actually now I see that Amazon.es have all three volumes in full, but again not just
C1/C2. And the three volumes are quite expensive: 134,90€.

The Instituto Cervantes themselves seem to have
an
electronic version
online. Is this the same as the C1/C2 book? Somehow it would not
make sense to sell the book and have the same content online.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 28 May 2014 at 11:11pm

1 person has voted this message useful

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5910 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 12 of 12
30 May 2014 at 12:46pm | IP Logged 
I picked up the mini version that covers all three levels. I’m mainly reading the C1\C2 book, but the language nerd in me, is fascinated by the details of each level. I would love to have something similar for my other languages, especially French. It seem the online version is almost identical to the version I picked up.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version