Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4315 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 1 of 3
19 May 2014 at 1:08am | IP Logged 
I was thinking about finally playing through point-and-click adventures in French, but
my French is at a very low level. I've seen games mentioned here on HTLAL sometimes,
but as far as I can see, those are usually used as comprehensible input at higher
levels (except for specific language-learning games).
I'd love to hear how you folks would go about such an undertaking?
My idea for now is as follows:
I would play Broken Sword 1 and 2 in ScummVM, allowing me to have 2 instances of the
game open at the same time as two adjacent windows. Sound would be French in both, but
one window would have French subtitles, the other German. In each dialogue, I would
first listen to it in French with French subtitles and would try to get as much out of
it as possible. Then I would do the same action in the other window to get to read the
German subtitles while hearing the French voice again. Basically a micro version of L-
R. I'm not sure how annoying this would be, hearing the same sentences twice in a row
What do you think?

Some infos to my current French level:
- 2 years middle-school French more than 10 years ago (I still remember the basic
grammar)
- went through Paul Noble and Michel Thomas last summer
- I have an Anki deck with about 1500 words already seen
- toyed around a bit with Duolingo, but didn't get far

I have no intentions of formally learning French right now, but only doing Anki just
seems pointless ... so gaming it shall be.

Edited by daegga on 19 May 2014 at 1:21am

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6391 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 2 of 3
19 May 2014 at 8:24am | IP Logged 
Why not just try actual LR and parallel texts?

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4315 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 3 of 3
19 May 2014 at 10:55pm | IP Logged 
Not an option. I'm doing this stuff during long train rides, parallel texts feel like
too much work, I'd rather go for something easy and/or fun like reading Scandinavian
books, but even that I can't do for 7-8 hours straight.
I'm not looking for alternatives to games, I'm looking for the best way to use games at
a low level, even if the best way is not as efficient as other methods. And I'm still
not convinced that my proposed way is the best way to use games... so I'm looking
forward to different proposals.

Edited by daegga on 19 May 2014 at 11:04pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version