Japan
Joined 4657 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 9 of 17
21 May 2014 at 7:39am | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
Interpals is a good place to look. Dig that skype account (and microphone/headphones) up out of the closet, kuji :)

Ah, okay, so it is what I thought. I was wondering if there was a function in Skype to find people, or if one had to go to a site like InterPals. I'm actually on InterPals, although I'm finding it very difficult to find suitable language exchange partners. Maybe my criteria are too narrow, or perhaps I should list my nation of residence as "United States" instead of "Japan", or just be more persistent.

Anyway, sorry to thread-jack.
2 persons have voted this message useful

diffuse
United Kingdom
Joined 3677 days ago

12 posts - 21 votes
Studies: French, German

Message 10 of 17
21 May 2014 at 7:43am | IP Logged 
I've never used Interpals; I've found all my conversation exchange partners from conversationexchange.com & language-exchanges.org -- I also hear italki.com recommended a lot, but I haven't poked around there much myself.
2 persons have voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4657 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 11 of 17
21 May 2014 at 8:11am | IP Logged 
@diffuse - Ah, excellent suggestions, there! I used to go to italki.com a lot, but only for writing practice. I should go back and see if I can get a partner there. I'll try those other sites as well.
1 person has voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5046 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 12 of 17
21 May 2014 at 12:16pm | IP Logged 
diffuse wrote:
I've never used Interpals; I've found all my conversation exchange partners from conversationexchange.com & language-exchanges.org -- I also hear italki.com recommended a lot, but I haven't poked around there much myself.

Yes I found my exchange partners on language-exchanges.org. In fact I found so many that I've had to disable my account because I just don't have time to talk to everyone! That was one of the main reasons for starting this thread, Trying to find better ways to talk to get more out of the time I do have to invest.

Some other questions for you all.

- If you aren't interrupting and just letting the conversation flow. How would you suggest getting corrections to your/partner pronunciation?
- If you discover you and the other person don't "click" or the language levels are too diverse to continue, how do you stop the exchange?
- What is the ONE thing you would recommend to someone doing a language exchange for the first time do to make the session more interesting and effective?

My ONE tip would be this: The very best language/skype sessions I've had are with my friend Rosi, who has no interest in and cannot speak English, and can only chat in Italian. This has forced me to learn how to "reformat" my sentences frequently, because if she doesn't understand my Italian, I can't just say it in English I have to find another way to say it in Italian which she will understand. So with that in mind when doing language exchanges force yourslef to "reformat" anything your partner doesn't understand, rather than taking the easy out and just saying it in your native language.

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3954 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 13 of 17
21 May 2014 at 12:33pm | IP Logged 
I think it's key to not correct every mistake. I just let my partner talk, and only supply a word or a structure if she
gets stuck. If a sentence or pronunciation impede understanding, I'll work through it with her at the natural pause at
the end of her sentence. Language exchanges - for me - are about practice, not about formal teaching.

I found all of my exchange partners on italki.com and conversationexchange.com.

diffuse
United Kingdom
Joined 3677 days ago

12 posts - 21 votes
Studies: French, German

Message 14 of 17
22 May 2014 at 6:53pm | IP Logged 
rdearman wrote:
- If you discover you and the other person don't "click" or the language levels are too diverse to continue, how do you stop the exchange?

Most of my conversation exchanges so far are via Skype (I have a few in-person), which makes it easier to just... well, I haven't had to block anyone yet, but I don't tend to have Skype on unless I have an appointment to speak with someone. & so far I feel like when the click hasn't happened, it's mutual -- so we both end up just happening to not contact each other again to set up another date to speak. Yeah, probably the direct approach would be better, & possibly if someone asked me flat-out I would say I no longer had time to keep up any more exchanges (which would also be true!). But I've been lucky in that I think the click or... un-click, lack-of-click... has seemed to be something we both agree on without even needing to say it.

rdearman
United Kingdom
Joined 5046 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 

Message 15 of 17
22 May 2014 at 9:25pm | IP Logged 
diffuse wrote:
rdearman wrote:

I've been lucky in that I think the click or... un-click, lack-of-click... has seemed to be something we both agree on without even needing to say it.

I sort of figured most people would go with the invisible option on skype when they want to end an exchange.

Another thing I've noticed about myself is that I prefer the voice only exchanges. I'm not one of the beautiful people, so seeing my ugly mug in the bottom of the screen is off putting! I keep thinking "I need to lose weight" or "I really need a shave" instead of thinking about the language.

:)

rdearman
United Kingdom
Joined 5046 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 

Message 16 of 17
22 May 2014 at 9:26pm | IP Logged 
Stelle wrote:
I think it's key to not correct every mistake. I just let my partner talk, and only supply a word or a structure if she
gets stuck. If a sentence or pronunciation impede understanding, I'll work through it with her at the natural pause at
the end of her sentence. Language exchanges - for me - are about practice, not about formal teaching.

I found all of my exchange partners on italki.com and conversationexchange.com.

How many exchange partners do you have? Just the one?

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version