Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Languid language learning (Team Advanced)

Tags: Swedish | German | French
 Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
129 messages over 17 pages: 13 4 5 6 7 ... 2 ... 16 17 Next >>
Elenia
Diglot
United Kingdom
lilyonlife.blog
Joined 3643 days ago

239 posts - 327 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Swedish, Esperanto

Message 9 of 129
13 June 2014 at 6:33pm | IP Logged 
I wrote a little resumé of my chateau visit in French for Lang-8, and got some pretty
nice comments on it. Aside from that, my French performance this hit a new low when I
had to ask my roommate's friend to repeat herself three times before getting my
roommate to translate from me. Yes, I am ashamed. I have slowed down reading La
Huitième fille
, as well. Yet another of my friends is leaving soon, and so we have
been maximising time together before she has to go. This has meant barely any language
practice at all!

However, I have continued (sporadically) with anki, and have also started a pretty
steady reading habit of a section a day of Låt den rätte komma in. Although the
sections are of varying lengths, with some of them being so small that I want to read
on, I have been fairly strict with myself. This is because I am reading extensively at
the moment, and I know that if I read too much at a time, I will probably either burn
out, and stop completely for a long time, or I'll not be able to understand anything
that I read at all.

My friend asked me why I read it, saying 'shouldn't you learn the language before you
read it?' and I contented myself with telling her that the book was one of the main
reasons I started learning Swedish, so I should at least read it. In truth, I think I
learn a lot more from reading native texts than anki-ing words and phrases, at least
for Swedish. I find it quite easy for me to understand, and for the most part
grammatical structures make sense to my English mind. Reading is not only helpful, but
also enjoyable, so I won't stop just because my proficiency in other areas is next to
nothing.

I have done a little more German at Deutsche Welle, but not much, sadly. I started with
a different course, which is more suited to my learning style, but I find the s-l-o-w
speaking very irritating. This is, of course, the main downfall of a beginners course,
and it's quite hard to find anything satisfying at my level. I will probaly return to
lingq at some point.

Finally, Esperanto. I think my work done on and enthusiasm for Esperanto warrant the
language being pushed up from it's current status on my language learning profile. The
more I learn and read about it, the more I want to know. I have started another course
on lernu, and will probably start the Ana Pana course soon, too.

--

Otherwise, I had the very noble intention of writing a series of about ten 100-word
stories in French. I say 'intention' because I got distracted by writing something in
English, instead. However, the intention is still there, and now that I've acknowledged
it publicly, I have higher hopes for following through. I decided I wanted to learn
French primarily because my mother did, but I have also always wanted to be able to
write in French. I have never managed to get that far, however, and find translating my
own work into French shockingly hard.
1 person has voted this message useful

Elenia
Diglot
United Kingdom
lilyonlife.blog
Joined 3643 days ago

239 posts - 327 votes 

Message 10 of 129
15 June 2014 at 2:05pm | IP Logged 
A short paragraph about my current reading in French, I'd be grateful for any
corrections or comments*:

--

« Voilà comment je vois les chose, fit-il. Avant de l’entendre parler, j’étais
perplexe, indécis à propos des petits détails de l’existence. Mais à présent – son
visage s’éclaira – je suis toujours perplexe et indécis mais sur un plan plus élevé,
voyez-vous, et au moins je sais que ce sont les questions vraiment importantes,
fondamentales, de l’univers. »

« Je ne les voyais pas comme ça, dit-il, mais vous avez absolument raison. Il a
vraiment repoussé les limites de l’ignorance… » Ils savourèrent tous deux l’étrange et
chaude sensation d’être beaucoup plus ignorants que le commun des mortels, lequel
n’était ignorant que de chose communes.

Il s’agit d’un extrait de La Huitième fille que je lire toujours, à pas lent et un peu
paresseux… Deux mages sont en traîne de parler d’un élève prodigieux de l’université
des mages, l’Université de l’Invisible. Cet étudiant parle de chose qu’ils ne
comprennent point, et les mages se confort en le fait qu’au moins ils ne sont plus
confus sur les choses ordinaires et quotidiennes. Ce genre de blague n’est qu’une des
raisons que j’adore l’écriture de Terry Pratchett. Ces mages sont une satire des gens
sages mais qui manque du sens commun et le savoir pratique.

Son humeur mis à part, son écriture est une écriture assez facile à lire. C’est de la
fantaisie, bien sûr, mais ce n’est pas de la haute fantaisie assez difficile à
comprendre. Il a créé tout un monde qui est, en plusieurs aspects, une réflexion de le
notre, et il est peuplé des nombreuses espèces fantastiques comme les nain : des
vampires : des golems, mais cette aspect fantastique n’est qu’une manière par laquelle
il explorait les caractères des gens et les phénomènes du monde et de la société. Son
langage est une langage clair est simple, mais il exprime des idées sur le monde
beaucoup plus complexe. Comme on dit : la somme est plus importante que la somme des
parties !

--

*sorry if it's not very coherent, I had trouble organising all of my ideas!

Edited by Elenia on 15 June 2014 at 4:19pm

Elenia
Diglot
United Kingdom
lilyonlife.blog
Joined 3643 days ago

239 posts - 327 votes 

Message 11 of 129
19 June 2014 at 2:15am | IP Logged 
It doesn't seem so obvious through my few posts on this log, but it's becoming more and
more clear to me that Swedish is my baby. Although my goal for German is the most
ambitious, and although French is the language that I should probably be focusing most
on improving, Swedish receives the majority of my attention. I don't mind taking a
break
from studying French - after all, I've been studying it all year. But really, I ought
to pay more attention to German. Part of the reason why I don't is because Swedish is
easier.

I didn't start out trying to learn Swedish, I started out trying to read a book (the
same one I'm still reading now, what feels like an age later...) I knew nothing when I
first
picked up this book. I had no clue about pronunciation. I just google translated every
single word I came across. I got through about eighteen pages doing this and, honestly,
it
wasn't that bad. I liked the book, so I didn't mind having to expend all that effort. I
was remembering things, and even managed to pick up a few things about tenses and
conjugations. Then I was sent a short story written in Swedish. I've read through it a
few times now, although I haven't made huge efforts to translate it. I also have a
recording of the text which I usually listen to when I want to sleep. Unsurprisingly, I
can repeat the first few sentences almost flawlessly!

The result is, now that I'm actually trying to learn, I find Swedish much more
transparent. Although I know more Germans and have made more of a formal effort with
learning
German, things simply do not click into place as easily as they do with Swedish, and so
I end up spending less time on it. I'm trying to rectify this, but simply going through
courses bores me. Audio-based courses go to slow, and don't necessarily help me learn
new vocabulary. And most courses tend to go through boring things first that put me
off.
Looking back at how I started Swedish, I'm thinking the easiest way for me to start
with German is to get a hold of a book I enjoy in German and go from there, translating
word
by word. Yes, it's time consuming, but I've always liked annotations.

--

In other news, I did some grammar study yesterday. It was amazing. I've never
understood grammar before, mainly because I'd never been properly taught it before
in English. Not
that I think I'd be more successful learning English grammar than another languages,
but because at least then I'd have some way to actually understand the terms used! But
yesterday I read, wrote out and understood the different cases for German
declination. Finally, I see some light!

I also, of course, spent some time with my darling Swedish. I watched a nine minute
long childrens TV program with subtitles intensively: watching, rewatching, writing out
unknown words, rewatching... Later on in the day, I watched a thirty minute long sitcom
and was amazed just how much language I recognised from the kids program. I didn't
understand or remember most of the words, but it's made me want to make extensive use
of kids TV as a learning resource.

Edited by Elenia on 21 June 2014 at 3:26am

Elenia
Diglot
United Kingdom
lilyonlife.blog
Joined 3643 days ago

239 posts - 327 votes 

Message 12 of 129
26 June 2014 at 2:25pm | IP Logged 
I've barely done anything on the language front as I moved out of my uni residence and
back to England yesterday. All of my time has been spent cleaning, packing and
despairing. However, I managed to move out without problem and cancel my insurance,
which was my big worry: I've never had to do anything like that in English, let alone
in French. However, the person who cancelled my insurance was friendly and seemed to
remember me from when I set it up ten months prior. The process was easy and we chatted
a little bit, so I walked out feeling like a star.

I surprised myself on the plane by being able to read three and a half pages of Låt
den rätte komma in
without difficulty. There were only a few words I didn't
understand, despite the fact that I was operating on only a few hours sleep. So, that
was another boost to my confidence.

I am scared that, now I am back home, I will study less, but I guess that really
depends on me: there will always be a moment when I can study something, somehow. I
just have to push myself to it.

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5023 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 13 of 129
26 June 2014 at 3:05pm | IP Logged 
Elenia wrote:
I've barely done anything on the language front as I moved out of my uni residence and
back to England yesterday. All of my time has been spent cleaning, packing and
despairing. However, I managed to move out without problem and cancel my insurance,
which was my big worry: I've never had to do anything like that in English, let alone
in French. However, the person who cancelled my insurance was friendly and seemed to
remember me from when I set it up ten months prior. The process was easy and we chatted
a little bit, so I walked out feeling like a star.

I surprised myself on the plane by being able to read three and a half pages of Låt
den rätte komma in
without difficulty. There were only a few words I didn't
understand, despite the fact that I was operating on only a few hours sleep. So, that
was another boost to my confidence.

I am scared that, now I am back home, I will study less, but I guess that really
depends on me: there will always be a moment when I can study something, somehow. I
just have to push myself to it.

One trick is to get a paper calendar and everyday which you've done something in French/Swedish/German/etc then put an X on that day of the calendar. Then just make sure you don't have any days without an X. And don't worry if it was only reading one paragraph, it counts. :)

Elenia
Diglot
United Kingdom
lilyonlife.blog
Joined 3643 days ago

239 posts - 327 votes 

Message 14 of 129
26 June 2014 at 6:15pm | IP Logged 
rdearman wrote:
One trick is to get a paper calendar and everyday which you've done
something in French/Swedish/German/etc then put an X on that day of the calendar. Then
just make sure you don't have any days without an X. And don't worry if it was only
reading one paragraph, it counts. :)

Yeah, I was thinking of maybe keeping a progress spreadsheet on excel, and I could do
with the extra reminder that a wall chart or calendar would give me. My main problem is
that I tend to forget to look at these things, so it'd probably do me good to have both!
I used to keep a wall chart back in school and forgot how effective it was in reminding
me to do my homework, so thanks for the suggestion :)

Elenia
Diglot
United Kingdom
lilyonlife.blog
Joined 3643 days ago

239 posts - 327 votes 

Message 15 of 129
03 July 2014 at 1:39am | IP Logged 
Although I've done very little with my languages, I am finding reading a lot easier.
With Swedish, it is not necessarily that I know more words, just that I am able to
recognise the ones I do know more easily, and therefore make better-informed guesses
about the ones I don't know.

I have been neglecting Anki for over a week, but as I'm an underachiever, I only had
two or three hundred cards to work my way through yesterday and today. I've cleared my
backlog already, and so there are no demotivating numbers of repetitions waiting for me
tomorrow.

Apart from that, I have committed myself to doing something in Swedish, German and
French every day this month. This is proving harder than expected, and I'm only two
days in. I am easily tired out, and I have a lot of other things that need doing, so
languages usually get pushed aside until later in the day, when I have the energy, the
brain power or the time to do anything meaningful for any of my languages. However, I
have a whole month in which to sort that out.

I have also signed up for Camp Nano, an offshoot of Nation Novel Writing Month which
runs every November. I have signed myself to write ten thousand words and I'm hoping
that I'll finish my current authorial project in this time. If I do, I'll use the rest
of the month to write short stories in French of about 100-500 words.

--

Goals for this month:
French - Restart reading Manon Lescaut. Finish watching Les
Revenants
. Watch Intouchables. Make some progress with La Rue des
boutiques obscures
Swedish - Finish the first part of Låt den rätte komma in, and start my
second reading of it. Finish reading the Swedish short story I was sent. Complete
learning Rött och guld and translate the lyrics fully. Intensively watch through
Tjuvgods.
German - Be consistent. Get a good vocabulary base from which to build up
reading ability. Use German with German-speaking friends.

I would also like to do something with Esperanto twice a week.
Wish me luck, all!

Elenia
Diglot
United Kingdom
lilyonlife.blog
Joined 3643 days ago

239 posts - 327 votes 

Message 16 of 129
09 July 2014 at 10:10pm | IP Logged 
I've realised that doing something every day for three languages, while also writing
300+ words a day; sustaining a more-than-usually active social life and sorting out all
of my belongings in a new house was perhaps, just a little, overambitious.

On a good day, I can get a bit of two languages in. Somehow, Swedish seems to get the
most time, which does not surprise me in the slightest. However, on a writing trip to a
bookshop on Monday, I managed to find a German A2 textbook. It's studio d's Deutsch
als Fremdsprache
and it still has the original CD, despite being second hand and
only £7.50. It's completely monolingual, and my German knowledge isn't even worth
mentioning, but I can understand a decent amount of it while reading. The audio is a
lot harder. I also bought an anthology of short Swedish texts that I'm looking forward
to reading my way through.

I had a very weird breakthrough moment with Swedish. I have been trying to learn the
song Rött och guld by Loke Nyberg since I started this log, and have found it pretty
much impossible. And then, just to see, I recorded myself singing it, while reading
along, and have found I know most of it. Now I sing it to myself constantly...

At least, that is, when I'm not singing Formidable or Papaoutai by Stromae to myself.
My goal is to learn the words to both of these songs. Formidable will probably be a lot
more difficult than Papaoutai, but it'd be nice to know them both and hum along to
myself. It'd also be great to sing along if I ever get the chance to go to a Stromae
concert.

I have done precisely nothing in Esperanto for a month. It is official, I have even
received an email from lernu to the tune of 'revenez, on se manque de toi!' or
something similar.

This discussion contains 129 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version