Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Languid language learning (Team Advanced)

Tags: Swedish | German | French
 Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
129 messages over 17 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 8 ... 16 17 Next >>
Elenia
Diglot
United Kingdom
lilyonlife.blog
Joined 3638 days ago

239 posts - 327 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Swedish, Esperanto

Message 57 of 129
14 January 2015 at 11:39pm | IP Logged 
So. Update time!
This past seven days I studied a grand total of (drumroll, please) 544 minutes for
French! Which makes just over 9 hours in total, if I'm not mistaken.

This 544 minutes is comprised of:
364 minutes of reading
100 minutes of class time (give or take)
32 minutes of BookTube
22 minutes of Anki
14 minutes of Grammer
and 12 minutes of ReadLang flash cards*

The obvious heavyweight of all of my activities is reading, in particular, reading
Carpe Jugulum, which made up a whopping 306 minutes of my time. The reading was
done in Readlang and on my phone, which means that it was semi intensive. (On my phone,
I can look words up in the French dictionary while commuting, but I won't always find a
definition as it's a standard dictionary and Pratchett's writing is often very
colloquial.)

German and Swedish came bottom, naturally. I'm not sure which of these two
featherweights actually came out lowest, as I definitely did a lot more German reading,
but I actually used Swedish FSI. In addition to this, my Swedish anki decks are
these giant, (sometimes) unwieldy behemoths while my German Anki deck is currently a
passing summer breeze. However, I am anticipating spending a lot more time with German
than Swedish over the coming weeks. Sorry, Swedish!

So, that is all! I have a nine am class on Brecht and the Drama tomorrow, which
requires me to leave my house at something like 7.30 - yes, yes, I know. I live in un
trou perdu. But what can I do?
Here's to next week being even better than this week!

*which I count separately from Anki because of just because. Also, because the
flashcard system isn't as good for vocab study as Anki is.
1 person has voted this message useful

Elenia
Diglot
United Kingdom
lilyonlife.blog
Joined 3638 days ago

239 posts - 327 votes 

Message 58 of 129
22 January 2015 at 12:08am | IP Logged 
This past seven days, I studied French for roughly 376 minutes, which is 6 hours and
16 minutes. Not as good as last week, but all that studying really wore me out. In
addition to this, we had really strong wind all of last week which kept me awake most
nights, and I worked overtime on friday and saturday, as well as being awake for more
than seventeen hours on Thursday... So, I didn't actually do any language study
at all until Monday. I'm feeling a lot more rested this week, so hopefully I manage a
bit more.

The breakdown goes:

160 minutes of class time* - 55 minutes for both speaking and translation, and about 50
minutes for commentaire de texte
57 minutes of news
52 minutes of grammar - exercises for my translation class*
35 minutes of miscellaneous reading
30 minutes of my independent translation project (!!!)*
25 minutes of watch the film Le Havre
and finally
17 minutes of Anki

As we can see, class work really buoyed my numbers. The misc reading was probably also
for class, as was the news watching, and the film. A note on the film: I actually
watched a lot more of it than that, but as there isn't much dialogue I halved the time
I spent watching it. It's a really good film. Although I don't usually like films which
deal with Issues (or films in general, I find it difficult to dedicate so much time to
sitting down and watching), I really enjoyed what I saw of it, and would recommend it
to others.

Otherwise, you may have noticed the time spent on my translation project. I've finally
continued with it! This was just free translation, done today while I was on the train.
I had no access to a dictionary, although I do have an offline conjugator on my phone
which I used to make sure I was spelling my tenses correctly. To be honest, the
translation is probably terrible, but this is an independent project and a labour of
love, so I don't mind having to go through/over it several times to get it halfway
decent, or having to spend a lot of time on it.

Anki was clearly the victim of last weeks exhaustion, but the small backlog I built up
meant that I have been spending more time on it per session than usual.

---

In other studies:
I've read quite a bit of Låt den rätta komma in this week. Almost all, if not
all, of my reading has been extensive, and I found that I could understand much of what
I was reading without looking words up, and even more if I concentrated and took more
time in trying to figure out/ recall the meanings of words I didn't immediately
recognise. Apart from that, I've done some Anki reps.

For German, I have also read a little more both intensively and extensively. I am no
way near reading the amount I set out for myself, but that is okay. I think it may take
me a while to get into my stride.
Other than that, I have been exposed to a little German in all of my non-French modules
over the past seven days. Two of these modules are taught by native Germans, and one is
taught by a German enthusiast. All three are professors in the department of German at
my university. Naturally, the language itself comes up in class, which I am happy
about. Other than that, I have done a very small amount of Anki reps. My Allemand deck
is really quite small - when my other decks even out a bit, then I'll expand it.

*Rough estimate

Elenia
Diglot
United Kingdom
lilyonlife.blog
Joined 3638 days ago

239 posts - 327 votes 

Message 59 of 129
28 January 2015 at 5:18pm | IP Logged 
I've given up hope of accurately counting my time for this week... oh well.

I have studied [probably/around/at least - delete as you wish] 441 minutes this week,
which is 7h21.

The breakdown:
145 minutes of class
101 minutes of writing
77 minutes of reading
58 minutes of translation
30 minutes of film
18 minutes of Anki
and 12 minutes of Booktube

The class time is lower than usual, as I spent a fair amount of my commentaire class
speaking in English and not really paying attention to the French text. The writing
time is partially based on rough estimate, the writing itself was an article for our
University's French magazine, for which I am an editor. I also wrote a little bit of
information down on a plan for an exposé. The reading time includes some 17 minutes of
reading aloud in my best French accent. The translation only includes time spent on my
personal translation project - not time spent on a translation that I had to do for
class, as I did not time myself and so only have the vaguest idea of how long it took
me (maybe an hour?) The time I've given to film, as last week, is less than time spent
actually watching the film- it is still Le Havre and so still lacking in
dialogue.

Other than this, I've actually done quite a lot more reading in French than I've
indicated. This is because I've spent a fair amount of time this week trawling
Goodreads and its French counterpart, Babelio, for interesting original French fiction
to read. I will also be doing a lot more reading in the near future, as I have opted to
do my second oral exposé on la BD francaise. Hopefully, it will be fun! I already have
three longer BDs on my to-read list, thanks to that.

---

I did a little bit of FSI for Swedish this week as I tidied my room - I listened to the
dialogues, then skipped the breakdown and went straight to the points to practice
section. I only reviewed things I had already done, rather than adding in anything new.
I have not done any Swedish reading this week, but did make an attempt at some Swedish
sentences. [They weren't very good).

I have done a lot more reading for German, thanks to the multilingual Hobbit read-a-
long that I am sure I have mentioned before... The reading is going slowly, but isn't
too tough right now, as I am reading the books in parallel. I also read the article on
the book on de.wikipedia with Readlang, so now I have a fair few flashcards containing
(hopefully!) useful vocabulary.

Finally, I bought Le Faucheur from Abebooks this weekend, and it arrived today.
Yay! I bought it only to use in conjunction with Alles Sense, as I'm hoping to
start creating German sentence cards in Anki, using the French translations. I have
probably said this before, but I will say it again: the French translations of Terry
Pratchett are amazing. The translator, Patrick Couton, won an award for his
translations, as well he should have done. Once I've had my fill of Pratchett, I will
have to look to see if he translated anything else.

Elenia
Diglot
United Kingdom
lilyonlife.blog
Joined 3638 days ago

239 posts - 327 votes 

Message 60 of 129
12 April 2015 at 11:19pm | IP Logged 
Shortly after the above post, my very elderly laptop finally broke down completely.
Following that was a visit from my boyfriend, a small bout of something fluish which
left me feeling tired for the better part of two months, and school. I only got a new
laptop last week, and as almost all of my activities are done through a computer, they
pretty much all ground to a solid halt.

That being said, I still have managed to get a little done (mostly for French and
German). French is a constant, thanks to school study. I have also recently started a
new french book - Noir et blanc by Andrea Schwartz which is ridiculous, but
fairly readable. I have also been reading Goethe's Faust in French (admittedly, with
little success.)
For German, I have practiced and performed a scene from Der aufhaltsame Aufstieg
des Arturo Ui
by Bertolt Brecht, which was quite a confidence booster. I also
watched Faust, a 2012 film by Alexander Sokurov (I believe?), which had the
interesting side effect of me trying to think to myself in German. Which would have
been nice if it didn't turn out that my subconscious is more proficient than I am.

I am currently in Sweden, and doing my usual shy-girl thing of not talking any Swedish
at all, but I have understood enough to make me feel like my efforts are not in vain.

So there we have it. I guess I'm back.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Elenia
Diglot
United Kingdom
lilyonlife.blog
Joined 3638 days ago

239 posts - 327 votes 

Message 61 of 129
12 April 2015 at 11:22pm | IP Logged 
Also!

I've had a few exams for French, recently, and I've been doing (surprisingly) well in all
of them, which is very nice indeed. The grades received are all in the 70s, for both
translation and speaking, which is a lot more than I expected and which is just another
ego boost. I have actually been speaking French to real people, although sadly I still
have no francophones to practice on.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Elenia
Diglot
United Kingdom
lilyonlife.blog
Joined 3638 days ago

239 posts - 327 votes 

Message 62 of 129
19 April 2015 at 3:32am | IP Logged 
I wrote, a few months back, that Swedish takes care of its self, and this is still
true.

My boyfriend and I are now messaging in a fifty-forty mix of Swedish, English and
French, which feels great. Seriously, who knew I could successfully communicate
with another human being in this language? Of course, speaking is another thing
entirely, and I'm not sure how easy or hard it will be. I am, however, absolutely
determined to force myself out to a Swedish language meetup on Wednesday. The idea is
terrifying to me, but less terrifying than it was before I realised I could actually
make myself understood in written form.

Otherwise... I have returned to duolingo. I returned for the Swedish course, and have
powered my way through the first set of skills in the past couple of days. I'm finding
the course to be decent, and some of the explanations given have cleared things up for
me in ways that no other resource has previously managed.

Watching has also been reintroduced, and I watched an eleven minute documentary about
freerunner, I watched it through twice, and will later watch it again.

French? German? What are they?

Elenia
Diglot
United Kingdom
lilyonlife.blog
Joined 3638 days ago

239 posts - 327 votes 

Message 63 of 129
20 April 2015 at 3:36am | IP Logged 
Powering on with Swedish, although it will definitely have to take a back seat soon.
There are, I would say, two reasons why I'm so intense with Swedish study recently.
The first is that I have put Swedish on my CV (with the caveat that it's reading only
and also (in my covering letter) that I am self taught). So I want, if it ever becomes
necessary, to actually be able to use the language in some capacity.

Secondly, I decided that next time I go to Sweden I have to actually use the language
to do more than murmur sweet nothings to my boyfriend/train conductors.
What?
I feel fairly ashamed of myself, knowing that there are situations in which I can use
the language, but where I choose not to. It's usually shyness or last minute panic
that prevent me from trying to speak to people, rather than a complete inability to
understand or form sentences.

I finally managed to access the dialang server today (I used the online test board, a
trying to access it from the program on my computer was impossible). I tested for
listening, reading and writing, and got B1 for all of them. My listening was a bit
shaky in places, as was my reading. But I did much better than I expected for both of
these, which gives me hope.

Other than that, I have been continuing on with Duolingo, which often feels like a
slightly more interesting version of FSI drills, and Anki. I have also read
through a few of the FSI grammar points, and read more of Kallocain on ReadLang.

--

As exam season is coming up, and coming up fast, I'm going to have to step up my
french game. I have to give an exposé next week proper, then I have commentaire and
traduction exams midway through and at the end of May. Then I will be going back to
Tours for a weekend in June - who knows, I may even speak some French there!

Aside from that, I am currently applying for a lot of jobs, some of which would like
me to speak French. For them, I would like to speak French, also. I guess I am a work
in progress.

Elenia
Diglot
United Kingdom
lilyonlife.blog
Joined 3638 days ago

239 posts - 327 votes 

Message 64 of 129
30 April 2015 at 2:08am | IP Logged 
Language study slowed down again these past few days, thanks to a 4,000 word essay that
is worth 80% of the mark for the module. Today (yesterday, really), I had a speaking exam
which didn't go nearly as well as I would have liked but which potentially did not go
nearly as badly as I had thought.

The next week or so should see me slowly surrounding myself with French, if all goes to
plan. I have two French exams left, translation and commentaire, and I want to do as well
in them as I can- Helpful to this effort, although completely unrelated, I have started
the mammoth task of trying to translate
City of Roses into French.
I've wanted to try my hand at this for a while, although I honestly don't expect to make
it through the fist chapter. But, as they say, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Right?

This discussion contains 129 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version