Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
mercutio
United Kingdom
Joined 3657 days ago

19 posts - 26 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 7
20 May 2014 at 7:34pm | IP Logged 
Hi I am really confused about anki, I have just started using it and have downloaded a suitable 1000 word list.
Occasionally I am coming across a word I totally don't want to learn and I was to remove that card, not suspend it
but remove it. The only option is see is "delete note" but surely its a card not a note?! I did a test and pressed delete
note on a word I didn't want to learn and it said it had deleted three cards?! can anyone explain?
1 person has voted this message useful

Ezy Ryder
Diglot
Poland
youtube.com/user/Kat
Joined 4163 days ago

284 posts - 387 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: Mandarin, Japanese

Message 2 of 7
20 May 2014 at 9:54pm | IP Logged 
As far as I understand it; each note is the sum of fields, multiple cards can be generated based
on. For example, let's say you have a note with two fields, one in the foreign language, and one in
your native language. Some people may choose to create two cards from this note, one
recognition, and one one production card. By deleting the note, you'll delete all cards associated
with it.

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4661 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 3 of 7
21 May 2014 at 4:14am | IP Logged 
Yes, what Ezy Ryder said.

Currently, if you made two cards from a note, you cannot delete just one card. You have to delete the entire note, which deletes both cards. If you only want to get rid of one card but keep the other, you have to suspend that card (not the note).

Does all of that make sense? Anki language can be considered a foreign language. :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6411 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 4 of 7
21 May 2014 at 5:07am | IP Logged 
Here is the official explanation :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

mercutio
United Kingdom
Joined 3657 days ago

19 posts - 26 votes

Message 5 of 7
22 May 2014 at 12:17am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Here is the official explanation :)

thanks to all the replies.

I gotta say even the official anki description is needlessly complicated with its own jargon, anki needs to be more
intuitive I feel.

so to clarify I have downloaded a 1000 word frequency list and I wanna start removing really obvious ones like
"man" and "woman" etc, so its safe to say if I press delete note it will do that right?

and secondly if I do delete stuff, or edit them and add or remove pictures, will that affect the original open source
file that i downloaded? I don't wanna mess up some random guys deck

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6411 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 6 of 7
22 May 2014 at 1:35am | IP Logged 
Have you previewed the deck? Maybe it's too basic for you? Especially if it's 1000 cards and not 1000 words/notes.
If not, yeah delete the notes as needed. It won't be changed on anyone else's computer.

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4661 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 7 of 7
22 May 2014 at 2:16am | IP Logged 
mercutio wrote:

and secondly if I do delete stuff, or edit them and add or remove pictures, will that affect the original open source
file that i downloaded? I don't wanna mess up some random guys deck

Once you download the deck, you can do what you want with it. Delete stuff, remove stuff, add stuff, whatever - it won't do anything to the original shared deck on AnkiWeb... unless you somehow find a way to upload the changed deck back up to AnkiWeb, in which case that would be intentionally messing up some random guy's deck, not accidentally. :)

Back when I was still studying it, I once downloaded an Esperanto deck, then proceeded to chop it up, mince it, sautee it, marinate it, until I had my own dish... er, personalized deck. I don't do pre-made decks anymore (I think it's better for the memory to make your own cards), but if you decide to download a pre-made deck, you will get more out of it if you personalize it to your own needs. Delete the cards you don't need, or are not ready for.

Edited by kujichagulia on 22 May 2014 at 2:17am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version