Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3925 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 9 of 14
23 May 2014 at 12:37am | IP Logged 
Unless I'm completely inept at navigating the site, it seems that there are only lessons for "absolute beginners" and
"advanced". The "beginner" and "intermediate" categories don't seem to exist. I'll try out the "absolute beginner"
lessons for a month, but I doubt I'll be paying to renew my subscription!
1 person has voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4446 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 10 of 14
24 May 2014 at 12:48am | IP Logged 
Their first language (the one that started it all off) was Japanese. I think that one
year of premium access cost $180 for me, although it might have been $120 (my company
paid, so I never had a painful sting to help remind me :-)). The amount of material was
(is) considerable: over 1000 lessons in all I think.

That's a lot more material than any other course I've come across. There are plenty of
beginner, lower intermediate and upper intermediate lessons plus a bunch of advanced
podcasts. I've tried Pimsleur and MT, and they have their own strengths, but neither of
them are anywhere near as comprehensive as JPOD101.

I've heard that the Russian and Chinese and German versions are good too, although
perhaps not quite as extensive as the Japanese courses. I've looked briefly at the
French and Italian ones (basically to recommend or not for someone else) and while they
didn't look barren, they certainly didn't seem to have that much going for them.

They will spam your email address for the rest of your life, or possibly longer. Most
of their spam is now caught by a filter, but I do let their "word of the day" email
through.

I would presume that the less popular languages have correspondingly less material.
They do advertise a large number of languages, but I can't believe that it would be
worth their while to produce ~1000 or even ~500 lessons for all of them ... surely
they'd never see a return on their investment for many of them?

4 persons have voted this message useful

Tomohiro
Octoglot
Japan
Joined 4124 days ago

20 posts - 41 votes
Speaks: Japanese*, Korean, Galician, GermanC2, SpanishC2, Portuguese, Mandarin, English
Studies: Russian, Old English, Armenian

Message 11 of 14
27 May 2014 at 9:26pm | IP Logged 
There are some courses which are worth because they provided many materials. For
instance, Chinese 101 and German 101have been the ones I liked at most, though I really
disliked others such as Japanese 101 and Portuguese 101.

Generally speaking, I have seen more than 10 languages and I didn’t like most of them
because they use lot of English and there were a lack of clear structure: a common
complaint for these podcast services was that they were a bit ‘random’ sometimes – you
have to make your own haphazard way to progress. I am not sure if they have provided
better lessons after I decided to no sign up for their lessons some years ago.

As for the filipinopod101, I don’t think this is the best resource for learning your
target language. First, they don’t provide the beginner and intermediate categories
which doesn’t make sense for me to continue with the subscription after you master the
absolute beginner level. Second, there are other materials available (in English) which
may provide you a solid A2 level with further grammar explanation and audio files with
exercises that are obviously optional.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4790 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 12 of 14
28 May 2014 at 1:52am | IP Logged 
I've tried three for the free week so far:

Frenchpod101: the advanced lessons might even be good for something but I don't need
them anymore since I can easily use real material
Germanpod101 and Spanishpod101: They both look good, German appears to have more
content. But while they are both for big languages, they don't offer that much more
compared to courses or other material online (even for free). They are one of the high
quality alternatives, however.

I consider Swedishpod101 because, when I am back at Swedish, I will surely suffer from
lack of such material elsewhere.

I think the lesser used languages are not a fault. Sure, there is less material (and
the Persian and perhaps some others may be worse than the rest) but these "courses" can
still be among the best available for the target language. And you have the one week
trial exactly to find out whether it is worth it.

News: They made an ipad app so it may be practical for offline and on the go uses.

However, the spam is trully excessive.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4446 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 13 of 14
31 May 2014 at 2:25am | IP Logged 
Tomohiro wrote:
Generally speaking, I have seen more than 10 languages and I didn’t like
most of them
because they use lot of English and there were a lack of clear structure: a common
complaint for these podcast services was that they were a bit ‘random’ sometimes – you
have to make your own haphazard way to progress. I am not sure if they have provided
better lessons after I decided to no sign up for their lessons some years ago.

I don't think of them as a podcast or as a structured course. To me they are individual
lessons in MP3 format and PDF. They are split roughly by level (not always very well) and
within each level they are gathered together as seasons (because, I assume, that's how they
were created).

I view them as a collection of grammar points and use them to supplement the other materials
I have. Their greatest advantage, at least to me, is the large amount of audio. I have
listened to the lessons, and at the beginner and even lower intermediate levels they do have
"lots" and "quite a bit" of English. Now, however, I just listen to the pure Japanese
dialogs, one after the other (sometimes on shuffle) during my commute. So I'm getting hours
of exposure to Japanese every week. I have used the lessons for intensive listening (i.e.
listening along with the transcript repeatedly until I think I can hear everything). I plan
to use the same material for shadowing and I'm collecting the kanji-only transcripts into a
document so I can print them out and use them for reading practice.

There are many ways you can use this material. I've found it to be invaluable as a stepping
stone towards native material (drama and books).

If you're looking for something that's interesting to listen to then you probably need to
look for something that's beyond the level of an intermediate learner. If, however, you are
looking for a large amount of (roughly) graded material that provides an audio track and a
written transcript, then there's plenty of that here (for Japanese, at least).

3 persons have voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4446 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 14 of 14
31 May 2014 at 2:29am | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
However, the spam is trully excessive.

It is. It's the one thing that makes me hesitate to recommend them.

There are one or two lessons that I've come across with rather too much marketing too
(I expect to hear "come to our website" at the beginning or end of a lesson, but
sometimes they've done more than that). They've also had one or two lessons where there
was a one minute promotion of an audio book partner. That really grated too.

These days I listen to the dialog tracks and those are spam free and pure target
language. On my one or two runs through the Upper Intermediate material I don't recall
coming across any advertising (or it was in Japanese and I didn't understand it :-)).

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version