Triglot
Canada
Joined 4239 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 9 of 11
23 May 2014 at 11:22pm | IP Logged 
1 of the biggest obstacle is your attitude. It's like someone learning to play piano. If you believe it can
be done the rest is devising a systematic way where you can track & measure your progress.

I know a few people who took piano lessons for a few years, passed a few piano exams but if you ask
them to sit in front of a piano and just play a few tunes it's a different matter. Without any kind of sheet
music they are uncomfortable improvising a tune on the spot. The people who can play put together a
tune without a piece of paper are the ones who listen a lot. They find a song they like to learn and
compare performances by various musicians.

Learning a language is similar. To put yourself up to the conversational level you need to spend more
time listening. Start with a few movies you enjoy watching with "captions". I prefer captions in the native
language over English subtitles because you know exactly what was said.
1 person has voted this message useful

albysky
Triglot
Italy
lang-8.com/1108796Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4183 days ago

287 posts - 393 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German

Message 10 of 11
24 May 2014 at 10:35am | IP Logged 
Yes , at times when I was listening to a given radio program it happend that in the same discussion about
the same topic there was a speaker whose I could understand almost every single word and another one I
had big trouble with . There are simply people who speak even too fast and /or do not articulate words so
clearly , they are propably hard to understand in our own native tongue too, let alone a foreign language .
This is at least my experience .

I'm With Stupid
Vietnam
Joined 3968 days ago

165 posts - 349 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Vietnamese

Message 11 of 11
30 May 2014 at 3:08pm | IP Logged 
Accents are obviously an issue, but also some people are simply better at grading their language so that learners can understand. Teachers in particular are trained how to do this.

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version