Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5003 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 9 of 33
23 May 2014 at 10:41am | IP Logged 
Whenever I have time! Ideally I prefer to get "proper" studying (Assimil lessons etc.) out of the way in the morning, before my head's too full after a day at work, and then films or books or conversations in the evening, but really it's just a case of doing what I can when I can fit it in.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4379 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Esperanto
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian

Message 10 of 33
23 May 2014 at 11:58am | IP Logged 
I normally find it hard to concentrate on serious studying during the evening if I've been at work during the day. I also find that with reading, whether it's a textbook or a novel, I can concentrate much better on the commute to work than on the commute home, when I seem to be more stressed out.

I tend to save proper textbook study for weekends when I've had more sleep and can focus better. I'm trying to get into watching films/TV in the evening for the Super Challenge, but still finding it a bit of struggle. I'm hoping it will become a habit over the course of the challenge though.
1 person has voted this message useful

Retinend
Triglot
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4104 days ago

283 posts - 557 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Arabic (Written), French

Message 11 of 33
23 May 2014 at 5:52pm | IP Logged 
I'm like Serpent, Radioclare and Tasty onions. I can concentrate best when I'm freshly
awake and my brain isn't distracted by the days events. Especially when I've slept well.
Currently I whack away two hours of unbroken study of Spanish at the desk before I start
work at 10am, and for the rest of the day I study piecemeal by shadowing in my "hidden
moments," which for me adds up to a third or even fourth hour throughout the work day. I
like my evenings to be completely free for reading and lazy forum browsing. This is when I
maintain my German.

Fuenf_Katzen
Diglot
United States
notjustajd.wordpress
Joined 4165 days ago

337 posts - 476 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Polish, Ukrainian, Afrikaans

Message 12 of 33
23 May 2014 at 8:00pm | IP Logged 
I'm typically pretty worthless before 10am. Any real studying gets done in the evenings when I can concentrate the most.
2 persons have voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5032 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 13 of 33
23 May 2014 at 9:48pm | IP Logged 
Night, definitely evening and night. All the coffee in South America couldn't make me a morning person.
3 persons have voted this message useful

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4240 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 14 of 33
23 May 2014 at 11:04pm | IP Logged 
Personally I don't think a language should be made into a scheduled activity that you only engage in it
1-2h in the morning or evening. To be a successful learner you should make time for it throughout the
day. The polyglot Steve Kauffman made a video about his Mandarin learning experience. He would go to
class 3h/day. And after class he would pick up local newspapers, magazines & books to read. Within 1
year he was very much at ease in conversations. Depending on how fast you want to succeed, you
squeeze in extra hours or as much as you can without wearing yourself out.

There was an interview on CNN featuring JERO (originally Jerome White) the singer now living in Japan.
He said that in the beginning it gets a bit intimidating to be thinking in Japanese all the time when he
first moved to his adopted country. Essentially any language is a living language. You use it throughout
the day for communications, not just in the morning or evening.

In our busy schedule we simply made every effort to change the TV & radio station to our target
language. I know 1 person who took Mandarin classes but in the end gave up on it. It's a waste of time if
you started learning a language but did not put in the extra little bit of effort. You can go to class for
the next 10 years and still end up in the place.

Retinend
Triglot
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4104 days ago

283 posts - 557 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Arabic (Written), French

Message 15 of 33
23 May 2014 at 11:16pm | IP Logged 
shk00design wrote:
Personally I don't think a language should be made into a scheduled activity that you only engage in it
1-2h in the morning or evening.

Straw man.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3878 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 16 of 33
24 May 2014 at 12:39am | IP Logged 
I am a lazy person, so I do not want to do anything all the time. Usually, this
translates into me not doing much during the day, and then when the guilt and self hate
builds up, I get into the mood to study evening onwards.

This discussion contains 33 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version