United States
lucasgentry.com
Joined 6052 days ago

130 posts - 138 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 4
23 May 2014 at 11:25pm | IP Logged 
My stretch goal is to learn all of the UN languages eventually (English, Spanish, French,
Arabic, Mandrain, and Russian), but I'm not in a huge hurry. I got on ebay a couple times a
week for the last couple months, bidding $25 on every Pimsleur Level 1 that I saw until I won
a bid. French, it is.

So,I'm not starting French for another few months (I'm living in Costa Rica, volunteering at
a school until September, and I don't want to waste Spanish immersion opportunities trying to
learn French alone in my appartment), but I'd like to put together a few low cost materials
for when I am ready to begin.

My main resources for learning Spanish (before this trip to Costa Rica) have just been
Pimsleur, Michel Thomas, and flashcards. They have worked pretty well. Would this be a good
approach for French as well, or do you have other must-use resources that you could
recommend?
1 person has voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4683 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 2 of 4
24 May 2014 at 12:36am | IP Logged 
I think Michel Thomas and Pimsleur are an excellent start. You will absolutely want to
follow them up, though!

Assimil would be an excellent follow-up; it will bring you close to a level where you
can start reading independently. It's not a budget program per se - $53 on Amazon - but
when you figure that you'll be using it for four to six months it balances out.

I go back and forth on my opinion on DuoLingo, but it's also free & definitely worth
having if you have a smart phone.

FSI is massive and free. It's also a bit dry. I really like it, but only in small
doses. I'm almost finished with the course ... 2 1/2 years after starting it. I would
absolutely recommend it if you are looking for a deep understanding of French.

I've been impressed with the new Living Language courses for Japan and Italian, and my
guess would be that French would be the same quality. Ignore the fact that three
volumes are labeled "beginner" "intermediate" and "advanced." It is completely a
beginner's course.

I think you're doing the right thing by waiting until your immersion is over to start
French. Although I don't think I would have the willpower to hold out once my books
start arriving!

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4238 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 3 of 4
24 May 2014 at 3:57am | IP Logged 
If you have access to the Internet there are a few sample lessons on YouTube under Victor Learn French.
I like their approach because the videos are situational like at the restaurant, taking a taxi, at the train
station, etc.

The other video learning series I like is from Yabla French. You can go online to their site and watch a
few videos with captions. Each video has a slow button so that you can listen to the dialog at a slower
speed and return to the normal speed when ready.

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5185 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 4 of 4
24 May 2014 at 6:14am | IP Logged 
Pimsleur and Michel Thomas are great to start with. You may want to check out French in Action as well. I'd say the best thing to do is focus heavily on audio-based resources to begin with. You'll get a huge leg up coming from Spanish but the main battle will be the orthography. It's easier to apply the written word to what you've already heard rather than trying to "unhear" silent letters. There's an FSI phonology course as well as other phonetics for French resources if this turns out to be challenging. Otherwise you'll find other aspects easier - fewer verb conjugations - especially less subjunctive, only one "to be" verb, and you always use pronouns so your conjugation doesn't need to be perfect.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version