United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4685 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 1 of 4
29 May 2014 at 4:57am | IP Logged 
I thought this map showing the early spread of Indo European languages out of Anatolia
was pretty interesting.   

There's a good discussion on how this fits with various IE migration theories on the
All Empires forum,
though I can't find a citation for the creator of the map itself.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Lykeio
United Kingdom
Joined 4040 days ago

120 posts - 357 votes 

Message 2 of 4
29 May 2014 at 11:32am | IP Logged 
I'm sorry, as someone trained in this stuff we clearly have very different conceptions
of what constitutes a "good discussion". I just see hilarious ineptitude. We've got
people mashing the untenable (Anatolia) with the misunderstood (Central Asia) and the
outdated (Kurgan). We've got one guy favouring Anatolia because it's close to Greece
(wtf?) yet somehow thinking Sanskrit is as late as 300bc. Another one who
misunderstands the link between Mycenaean and Greek while claiming a direct continuity
between Old Persian > Farsi and Avestan reflexes in Pashto...rather controversial. All
while happily linking to the kind of studies actual scholars of the field balk at but
which, humorously, the general public seem to love because it's done by men in lab
coats and easy to digest - logic and evidence be damned!

Since PIE in the popular press via archaeology (bleh!) seems to be a growth industry we
can only expect more of this in future. Alas, like most things understanding only comes
off the back of hard work.

That map btw is so improbable an explanation for our evidence it is rather hilarious
btw. Here's some tips and a bibliography.

i) Learn some Old Indo-European languages, properly. Yes properly, if you don't know
how they were pronounced or how we know that or anything about proper register, shut
your mouth and hit the books. This field is already polluted outside the academy by
wannabe knowitall knownothings.

ii) Acquaint yourself with the operant factors of language evolution and change, the
best resources are the following:

Fortson, B (2000?) "Indo-European Languages and Culture". (Oxford) - The second chapter
on culture is an abomination but it does a good job of explaining methodology and
evidence. It has solid chapters on most languages within the family and each one is
filled with exercises and revision prompts.

Clackson, J (2007) "Indo-European Linguistics" (Cambridge) - This is slightly more
complex than the above and not as well suited to learning for a beginner. It's focus is
on PIE itself and the text is divided by broad categories like "phonology" rather than
each individual language.

Lehmann, W (1997) "Theoretical Bases of Indo-European Linguistics" (New York) - Any
field has its axioms and this book is actually an important guide to many of them, I
must have swallowed this whole as an undergraduate student.

Beyond these textbooks you then really need to start looking as focused areas: Jasanoff
on the Hittite Verb is the best way to learn about the PIE verb for example. Once
you've got down enough poetry, Wakins is the go to for poetics and so on.

Sorry if I'm over passionate, I'm sure you can fathom why though and I hope this mini
rant helps anyone who is genuinely interested and has a wee too much time on their
hands over the next few years.

P.S. I can't resist linking these papers by Garett on re-imagining sub groupings.
They're essentially changing the field and are very insightful:

http://linguistics.berkeley.edu/~garrett/BLS1999.pdf

http://linguistics.berkeley.edu/~garrett/IEConvergence.pdf

Edited by Lykeio on 29 May 2014 at 11:37am

6 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6499 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 4
29 May 2014 at 10:06pm | IP Logged 
To Lykeio: the formulation "shut your mouth and hit the books" is not acceptable. Your informations in the message are so relevant that I chosen to have leave the message as it stands, but it must be possible to discuss the subject in less passionate terms.

What is your alternative to the map in the OP's message?
4 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6952 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 4 of 4
29 May 2014 at 10:40pm | IP Logged 
The map is interesting but it's quite busy, and it seems more like an exercise where someone tried to superimpose a bunch of hypotheses (of variable quality) with colours and arrows.

As for technical concerns, I find it a little troublesome that the circles for Finno-Ugric and Samoyedic assume the existence of such groups outright (see this paper by linguist Tapani Salminen). The Saamic circle in northern Fennoscandinavia is shaky to me since there's no date (are we to assume that Saamic as a distinct language group (let alone a subgroup of Uralic) has been there forever?). I've read research which suggests that the ancestors of today's Saami represent a mix of people (not necessarily associated with those speaking Uralic languages) with part of their ancestry tied to people from what is now southern Finland starting to move north about 2000 years ago for whatever reason (entry of other peoples from the south?).

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version