Switzerland
Joined 4828 days ago

71 posts - 124 votes 
Speaks: German*, Swiss-German, English
Studies: Luxembourgish, Dutch

Message 25 of 25
05 June 2014 at 1:36am | IP Logged 

patrickwilken wrote:
Unless you are working in academia or in international finance English can be pretty far
between.
(…)
Actually when I think about it I can't imagine why expats complain so much about people speaking English to
them all the time.

Guess you just might have stated it yourself: These expats might work in these very jobs, in academia and finance
(or, more broadly speaking, where mainly academics are employed). And I’d wager their complaints were less
aimed at the few words exchanged with the supermarket cashier - but rathers at their immediate work
environment and social circle, where people are much more inclined to speak English.

I should frankly include myself among the latter - glad of every opportunity to speak (and practice) some English.

Now trying to get back on topic, I have also (somewhat) found this true myself: People will talk more “naturally”,
colloquially, even loose-tongued (or in their mother tongue at all!), if you are able to “ease them up”. And the
first impression is often the best time to do this. Otherwise, they might adopt a slower, more deliberate, adapted,
even “dumbed down” tone for the conversation (or, as we discuss here, switch languages/code altogether, if
able).

As as side note. I usually found Brits and German speakers to be much more considerate, i.e. more
accommodating and inclined to adapt - whereas Americans or French speakers often take a somewhat bolder,
even a little ruthless approach in this respect. So I have a little optimism for the original poster (apparently
English) going to Germany ;-)

Edited by fnord on 05 June 2014 at 1:59am

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version