Vietnam
LangReviews.com
Joined 4436 days ago

18 posts - 19 votes
Speaks: Vietnamese*
Studies: EnglishC2

Message 1 of 10
31 May 2014 at 11:12am | IP Logged 
Vietnamese is my first language. English is my second language (level B2, I think) I can read quite well.

If I have time in the future, I will learn one of these three: French, Mandarin, or Japanese.

SHOULD I LEARN THEM THROUGH MY VIETNAMESE OR THROUGH English? (self-study)

I love Assimil, Michel Thomas and Pimsleur method, but they are all in English. So should I use them?

Edited by baokieu on 31 May 2014 at 11:16am

1 person has voted this message useful

eyðimörk
Triglot
France
goo.gl/aT4FY7
Joined 3894 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French
Studies: Breton, Italian

Message 2 of 10
31 May 2014 at 11:29am | IP Logged 
If you're at level B2 you should be able to learn them through English, if you want to. I did Assimil's "Le Breton" through French, and I wasn't higher than B2.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4804 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 3 of 10
31 May 2014 at 11:31am | IP Logged 
Sure. One of the best things about knowing another language is the freedom of choice.
Much larger pool of books, movies and so on. Including language learning sources. At your
level, you shouldn't have much trouble using English based sources. However, some of the
Vietnamese ones might have added benefits (focus on specific troubles or use of common
features with the target language). And remember that sometimes, the English based source
isn't the best one on the market (even if just not the best one for you) and the
popularity is due to the amount of English native learners or lack of other resources.
Look at what is available either with Vietnamese or English base and make your choice. I
wish you a lot of success with learning.

Fuenf_Katzen
Diglot
United States
notjustajd.wordpress
Joined 4164 days ago

337 posts - 476 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Polish, Ukrainian, Afrikaans

Message 4 of 10
31 May 2014 at 11:18pm | IP Logged 
At B2 you should be fine to learn a language through English. I don't know what the market is as far as materials in Vietnamese, but you can look and go from there. The one advantage about using Vietnamese materials though, is that it will probably be more focuses towards specific problems you as a native Vietnamese speaker might have. Good luck!

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6951 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 5 of 10
01 June 2014 at 5:32pm | IP Logged 
baokieu wrote:
Vietnamese is my first language. English is my second language (level B2, I think) I can read quite well.

If I have time in the future, I will learn one of these three: French, Mandarin, or Japanese.

SHOULD I LEARN THEM THROUGH MY VIETNAMESE OR THROUGH English? (self-study)

I love Assimil, Michel Thomas and Pimsleur method, but they are all in English. So should I use them?

If you feel comfortable using such material, then why not? Since those languages that you want to learn have high profiles, I strongly suspect that you could fall back on at least a few solid sources in Vietnamese if for whatever reason you want a second opinion on something in the material published in English.

Zireael
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4446 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, Spanish
Studies: German, Sign Language, Tok Pisin, Arabic (Yemeni), Old English

Message 6 of 10
01 June 2014 at 5:45pm | IP Logged 
My Arabic tutor knew 0 Polish, if you discount basic pleasantries and the diminutive from Katarzyna, so we used English in our lessons and English-language materials.

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5561 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 7 of 10
01 June 2014 at 9:27pm | IP Logged 
I personally would - well, I do - use ressources in both my native language and English. I don't know what kind of material is available in Vietnamese, of course.
I usually use a dictionary and a grammar with German as a base language, and textbooks and other learning ressources as they come. My reasoning is that some things are easier for me as a native German speaker and others are harder, and when I'm looking for definitions and rules, I want to use German for it. But when it comes to lesson texts and translations, I'm fine using English.

I think you probably would fare well using an introduction to Mandarin tones with Vietnamese as a base language, and if there is a ressource that teaches you vocabulary in Chinese languages or Japanese based on Sino-Vietnamese, it's probably helpful to use it, just like looking at English vocabulary of French or other Romance origin can help with French vocabulary.

day1
Groupie
Latvia
Joined 3687 days ago

93 posts - 158 votes 
Speaks: English

Message 8 of 10
02 June 2014 at 6:20pm | IP Logged 
A lot of textbooks for learning Chinese for Vietnamese speakers seem to be from Sinolingua, the same "popular" titles that they themselves have translated into all imaginable languages (Ukrainian, Arabic, Vietnamese, etc.) I have seen a few of the books they have translated into Russian (dangdai zhongwen, for example, also conversational Chinese 301), and in enough places the translations are ridiculous, funny at best, misleading at their worst. So, you do not gain much from choosing a book that teaches through your native language, because these Sinolingua books do not take speaker's own language into account really.

The best thing to do is to try and see how comfortable you feel with these English language textbooks. If you feel good, continue, if not - you'll see it soon enough and will be able to change book, thus not wasting much time.

Good luck!

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version