EnglishEagle
United Kingdom
Joined 4370 days ago

140 posts - 157 votes 
Studies: English*, German

Message 1 of 29
01 June 2014 at 11:55am | IP Logged 
Hello,

I can't seem to find very reliable information on the internet and I've been browsing the internet for hours this
morning. I am hoping to study abroad in Germany - possibly a physics or chemistry degree. However, the
universities that I am looking at in Germany do not teach in English (which I didn't expect them to). However, that
means that obviously my level of German has to be very high in order to understand the material. By the end of
September my level of German should hopefully be a solid B1. I am presuming that the requirement for a German
university would be a solid C1 or weak C2 to fully understand the material and pass the entrance exams (??). I am 16
at the moment and I have just under 2 years till I have start applying for universities. Would I be able to get my
German up to par?

Thanks!
1 person has voted this message useful

Iolanthe
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5436 days ago

410 posts - 482 votes 
Speaks: English*, DutchC1
Studies: Turkish, French

Message 2 of 29
01 June 2014 at 12:44pm | IP Logged 
My googling leads me to believe you have to take the TestDaF. I'm
not sure if you could reach that level in less than two years but you are young with presumably lots of extra time to study and prioritise German so
I would give it your best shot. Even if you miss the target, you can always defer university for a year to improve your German and if not, you will
speak a foreign language at the age of 18 which is more that most Brits can say.
4 persons have voted this message useful

EnglishEagle
United Kingdom
Joined 4370 days ago

140 posts - 157 votes 

Message 3 of 29
01 June 2014 at 12:56pm | IP Logged 
Iolanthe wrote:
My googling leads me to believe you have to take the teilnehmende/infos-in-ihrer-sprache/englisch/">TestDaF. I'm
not sure if you could reach that level in less than two years but you are young with presumably lots of extra time to
study and prioritise German so
I would give it your best shot. Even if you miss the target, you can always defer university for a year to improve your
German and if not, you will
speak a foreign language at the age of 18 which is more that most Brits can say.

Thanks, I know that by September of this year I would have put in 100's of hours. By the time I apply I would have
probably put in close to 1200/1300 hours of good solid study. Thanks for the link by the way, I don't know why I
wasn't able to come across it when I was browsing on the internet. I am possibly thinking of taking a gap year before
university and splitting my time between Berlin and possibly Russia/Italy.

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4029 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 4 of 29
01 June 2014 at 1:14pm | IP Logged 
If I had thought that I can study abroad when I was 16 I'd have definitely at least tried to make it possible. Unfortunately, this idea came up on my mind only a few months ago, and I'm already in second grade in a local university...
Even if plans would look bad for you, work on them, make extra things and maybe your motivation will lead you to your target ;)

EnglishEagle
United Kingdom
Joined 4370 days ago

140 posts - 157 votes 

Message 5 of 29
01 June 2014 at 6:04pm | IP Logged 
Via Diva wrote:
If I had thought that I can study abroad when I was 16 I'd have definitely at least tried to make it
possible. Unfortunately, this idea came up on my mind only a few months ago, and I'm already in second grade in a
local university...
Even if plans would look bad for you, work on them, make extra things and maybe your motivation will lead you to
your target ;)

Well I've looked at the TestDaF and I need a low C1 level to accepted into a university. Is it possible? I don't know -
but I'm 100% sure I am going to try my hardest to get in. If I fall short and have to go to a university in the UK then
I've still acquired the skill of being competent in German. Does anyone have any idea how much it would roughly
cost for a student living in Berlin, please? I am thinking it will be about €700 per month for food, accommodation
and other expenses but I am not sure if that estimate is too low though? Several years ago my parents set up a bank
account and deposited money into the account monthly as a 'university fund'. I am wondering if it would be
advisable to start a part time job and also contribute into that fund as I know that Berlin can be an expensive city to
live in. I know it seems like I am worrying about the future too much, but I think if you fail to prepare then prepare
to fail. So in this instance, I want to insure that I am fully prepared to ensure I have a good chance of getting into a
university in Germany.

calduche
Bilingual Tetraglot
Austria
Joined 4911 days ago

9 posts - 16 votes
Speaks: French*, English*, GermanC2, Dutch
Studies: Portuguese, Swahili

Message 6 of 29
01 June 2014 at 6:19pm | IP Logged 
I don't know about Germany, but in order to study in Austria, I only needed an B2.
And because I love converting people, I'll add that there are other advantages to studying in Austria: no tuition fees and no entrance exam or numerus clausus.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3877 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 7 of 29
01 June 2014 at 6:19pm | IP Logged 
Why restrict yourself to Berlin? There are good universities in other places in Germany
3 persons have voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4925 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 8 of 29
01 June 2014 at 6:34pm | IP Logged 
calduche wrote:
I don't know about Germany, but in order to study in Austria, I only
needed an B2.

It depends on the university, not the country itself. Some will require a C1, others
will require a B2 or above. I've never seen anything less than a B2, though.

R.
==

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 29 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version