United Kingdom
Joined 4371 days ago

140 posts - 157 votes 
Studies: English*, German

Message 25 of 29
05 June 2014 at 10:35pm | IP Logged 
Gemuse wrote:
patrickwilken wrote:

I guess it depends how cheap you want to live. I still think 1000 euros/month overall
is a closer lower estimate, once you consider you might want to buy clothes, a beer
occasionally or even some books for your course.

1000 euro per month is a LOT of money. Many people earn less than that. Rolling in the
dough, eh Patrick :)

I would say 250 euro for housing (check on this)
150 euro food
50 euro books
30 euro clothes and random stuff
50 euro bus
So about 550 euro + healthinsurance cost + fun money.
Then there is of course the university fee.

To honest, I am very good with money and know I can manage it well. Due to personal reasons I don't and will not
drink and I know that my cousin spends a lot of money on beer at university and for I will not have that unnecessary
expenditure.

Thanks for the replies!
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6393 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 26 of 29
06 June 2014 at 2:23pm | IP Logged 
Fuenf_Katzen wrote:
I think really your biggest weakness will likely be writing, because my guess is that you probably don't have much opportunity to really practice and improve it. For understanding lectures, you would probably be fine (after some initial language shock).

These depend on the person, and these are the easiest to practise at home by writing on lang-8 and listening to lectures/podcasts online.

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5328 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 27 of 29
06 June 2014 at 3:04pm | IP Logged 
A while ago, I did a survey of French and American universities. I tried to convert TOEFL requirements, etc., into the equivalent CEFRL ranges. Here's what I found, very roughly speaking:

B2: You can get admitted into many second-tier universities as a foreign student, but the first semester or two may be pretty challenging.

C1: You can generally be admitted into top-tier universities as an undergraduate: the Ivy League, the grandes écoles, etc., provided that you meet their other admission criteria.

C2: You can generally enroll in law school or graduate-level humanities programs.

If you arrive at B2, and you speak your target language full-time, I suspect that you will reach C1 fairly quickly. Obviously, living with TL speakers would be a good idea: One common weakness of learning a language quickly, outside of the country, is that you don't always get a chance to build really fluent speaking skills. But living in an all-TL environment helps tremendously with that, in my experience.
4 persons have voted this message useful

hobom
Triglot
Joined 4013 days ago

33 posts - 61 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, Russian
Studies: Mandarin

Message 28 of 29
06 June 2014 at 4:14pm | IP Logged 
Gemuse wrote:
patrickwilken wrote:

I guess it depends how cheap you want to live. I still think 1000 euros/month overall
is a closer lower estimate, once you consider you might want to buy clothes, a beer
occasionally or even some books for your course.

1000 euro per month is a LOT of money. Many people earn less than that. Rolling in the
dough, eh Patrick :)

I would say 250 euro for housing (check on this)
150 euro food
50 euro books
30 euro clothes and random stuff
50 euro bus
So about 550 euro + healthinsurance cost + fun money.
Then there is of course the university fee.

Should be about right, in my experience. However, no money for bus, since your ticket is already included in your university fee (pretty convenient actually)

EnglishEagle
United Kingdom
Joined 4371 days ago

140 posts - 157 votes 
Studies: English*, German

Message 29 of 29
08 June 2014 at 9:43pm | IP Logged 
If I don't study in Germany for my bachelors degree then I might study in Germany for a master or alternatively just
have a gap year and live there for a year.

Edited by EnglishEagle on 08 June 2014 at 9:43pm

This discussion contains 29 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version