United Kingdom
Joined 5543 days ago

781 posts - 1310 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Portuguese, Mandarin, Yiddish, German

Message 9 of 15
06 June 2014 at 6:11pm | IP Logged 
twopossums wrote:
I just started Chapter 23 tonight and I really don't think the audio is all that bad. It
is definitely of the time and can sound like an old radio program sometimes but that has it's charm. Plus 2
on the French tape speak clearly. There have been only 2-3 times that I had a sound bite was really
unusable. But that was more about the sound cut out or something. Nothing that could actually be fixed.   

There is so much audio for me personally I think it takes long enough just to get through it than to add the
time of cleaning it all up for some minor improvement. It really wouldn't be worth the time, in my mind.

Good luck in your studies. It's a long slog though FSI but fun too.

I think the idea is that, once you've successfully done one file, you can use these settings to do the rest as
a batch for little extra work.

Edited by Random review on 06 June 2014 at 6:12pm

1 person has voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6965 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 10 of 15
06 June 2014 at 8:13pm | IP Logged 
twopossums wrote:
I just started Chapter 23 tonight.

Keep up the good work. You might be the first on the forum to report having completed FSI Basic French! How is your French going? I'll have to look for your logs.

michaelmichael
Canada
Joined 5017 days ago

167 posts - 202 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 11 of 15
08 June 2014 at 3:49pm | IP Logged 
twopossums wrote:
I just started Chapter 23 tonight and I really don't think the audio is all that bad. It is definitely of the time and can sound like an old radio program sometimes but that has it's charm. Plus 2 on the French tape speak clearly. There have been only 2-3 times that I had a sound bite was really unusable. But that was more about the sound cut out or something. Nothing that could actually be fixed.   

There is so much audio for me personally I think it takes long enough just to get through it than to add the time of cleaning it all up for some minor improvement. It really wouldn't be worth the time, in my mind.

I notice on the tape that i tend to occasionally have trouble when the men speak and have a much easier time with children or women. It does help if you have studied the text and know what they are suppose to be saying, though i always listen first a few times before checking the text.

Luke's suggestion of using the equalizer doesn't take too long. once you have the profile you can apply it and that's it. i didn't try compressing the peaks, that probably takes some time.

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement !

Mike.

twopossums
United States
Joined 4117 days ago

34 posts - 53 votes 

Message 12 of 15
10 June 2014 at 5:24pm | IP Logged 
Hmmm. Yeah didn't think about that mainly because I don't know how to do it. Ha. I guess batching it over night or something really wouldn't be a problem. My point was I didn't really find the audio that bad. But if it helps you do to it I say go for it.

Geez if I'm the first on the forum to complete FSI them I'm not sure if I should be proud or not. I suppose I'm just hardheaded (ie stupid enough) to barrel through it. I did do it differently. I cut up the audio of all the sentences I liked and made Anki cards out of them. I'm sitting at 7577 cards today, that also includes cards from the Michel Thomas cds and a few vocab cards from frenchpop101 but I'd say 80-90% is FSI.

Maybe I'll do a review of it when I'm finished. Just the last chapter to go but its a review chapter so it should only take a few days.

michaelmichael
Canada
Joined 5017 days ago

167 posts - 202 votes 
Studies: French

Message 13 of 15
11 June 2014 at 4:19am | IP Logged 
twopossums wrote:
Hmmm. Yeah didn't think about that mainly because I don't know how to do it. Ha. I guess batching it over night or something really wouldn't be a problem. My point was I didn't really find the audio that bad. But if it helps you do to it I say go for it.

Geez if I'm the first on the forum to complete FSI them I'm not sure if I should be proud or not. I suppose I'm just hardheaded (ie stupid enough) to barrel through it. I did do it differently. I cut up the audio of all the sentences I liked and made Anki cards out of them. I'm sitting at 7577 cards today, that also includes cards from the Michel Thomas cds and a few vocab cards from frenchpop101 but I'd say 80-90% is FSI.

Maybe I'll do a review of it when I'm finished. Just the last chapter to go but its a review chapter so it should only take a few days.

I'm considering making anki cards for the vocab. i've also used it once to help memorize one of the dialogues by putting some speaker on the front of the card and the next speaker in the back (i mix in L1 to L2 cards too). to be honest, i really didn't need anki to help me memorize the dialogue but it did help me increase my speed (i find the first tape of a unit the hardest, especially the participation section).

From what i can tell, FSI takes the structures from the dialogue and subtly alters them with the vocab or the grammar points introduced up to that point. because it was so carefully designed and order carefully chosen, i wonder if "something" is lost from just cutting up the FSI into selected flash cards. Space repetition appears to already be built into the program. Curious, Are your cards L2/L1 or are they the prompts on the FSI ?

twopossums
United States
Joined 4117 days ago

34 posts - 53 votes 

Message 14 of 15
12 June 2014 at 3:36pm | IP Logged 
michaelmichael wrote:

From what i can tell, FSI takes the structures from the dialogue and subtly alters them with the vocab or the grammar points introduced up to that point. because it was so carefully designed and order carefully chosen, i wonder if "something" is lost from just cutting up the FSI into selected flash cards. Space repetition appears to already be built into the program. Curious, Are your cards L2/L1 or are they the prompts on the FSI ?

Well...Yes it does follow the dialogues and then varies them but things get off the rails a bit as things get more advanced. The dialogue I found so boring and with Assimil and FrenchPod101 and dozens of others sites that offer great dialogues I just couldn't sit through them. I found when I went through Assimil that I could listen and understand the dialogues very well but really I was just remembering the story. (oh yeah this is the part where the pregnant lady asks for a seat on the but or this is the part where that guy gets made about the hotel accommodations) I couldn't pull out a word and use it in my own sentence. My thought with FSI and doing it my way (L1 sentence on the front of the card and L2 sentence and audio on the back) forced me to actually come up with the words on my own and thus I felt they were more in my memory.

But I wouldn't say that spaced repetition is built that well into the program. For the larger topics? Yes. You will know all that stuff but there are tons of words and phrases that you see only once maybe twice. I want to know those 2. If I'm going to spend that much time with a program and I'd like to get the most out of it I can. With out a teacher (which this course really needs) I had to find ways to make it stick in my mind.

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5625 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 15 of 15
03 July 2014 at 10:08pm | IP Logged 
I think there are a few of us here who've finished it (i finished it a few years back).

Personally i think doing SRS would just slow me down from getting through the course. If it were a more interesting course that might not be an issue, i've really enjoyed some Assimil courses for example, but FSI French is pretty bland and each unit doesn't really change its format very much. By the end i was more than ready to leave FSI behind, heh.

In any case, congratulations twopossums for having made it so far :)

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version