United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5031 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 1 of 4
02 June 2014 at 10:26am | IP Logged 
Saw an interesting article on the BBC about a study done on bi-ligualism.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-27634990
3 persons have voted this message useful

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4239 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 2 of 4
02 June 2014 at 10:18pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for sharing.

Besides language, there are other factors including diet, exercise, your attitude. I know a lady who plays
flute & piccolo. At age 91 with mobility problems she belongs to 3 bands. Besides performing regularly,
she arranges music for the groups. In terms of language she speaks English and used to teach high
school drama class in French. As a member of a band, I perform regularly as well.

Many of us living in Canada came from other non-English-speaking countries. Naturally we'd be
bilingual. Learning any more languages we'd be multilingual. A month ago our family had a wedding.
Many of the out of town guests lived in Hong Kong. Being fluent in both languages we were conversing
back and forth in English & Chinese.

When we get older, finding an activity such as painting, photography etc. to keep active will keep
yourself active and slow the aging process...

Edited by shk00design on 02 June 2014 at 10:25pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5186 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 3 of 4
02 June 2014 at 10:43pm | IP Logged 
shk00design wrote:
When we get older, finding an activity such as painting, photography
etc. to keep active will keep
yourself active and slow the aging process...

Also keeping your world "large" helps. Many elderly people become more and more reclusive
and their peers start dying off so their world grows smaller (a problem we're having with
my mother who telecommutes so rarely leaves the house). Knowing multiple languages would
also mean being open to multiple cultures and "worlds" which I imagine helps a lot as
well.
2 persons have voted this message useful

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4239 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 4 of 4
03 June 2014 at 4:00am | IP Logged 
sctroyenne wrote:
Also keeping your world "large" helps. Many elderly people become more and more
reclusive and their peers start dying off so their world grows smaller (a problem we're having with
my mother who telecommutes so rarely leaves the house). Knowing multiple languages would
also mean being open to multiple cultures and "worlds" which I imagine helps a lot as well.

When it comes to making new friends when you're older, it depends on how well you associate yourself
with the younger crowd. Some people are brought up in cultures where they are brought up around
extended families (relatives) and only occasionally socialize with others outside the family so knowing
several languages wouldn't help. Learning a new language like learning anything require time, discipline
and commitment. Older people like my parents may have mobility problems, failing eyesight & hearing.
They may not be willing or able to commit themselves to a language class even once a week. At the
same time they may feel at their age they won't be able to learn anything. My father once took classes in
Japanese but never went further than a few words & phrases. My mother managed to learn to type &
receive E-mail and watch TV shows on a portable tablet. Something that she did not grow up with. When
it comes to learning a music instrument or a new language there is still the perception she won't be able
to learn anything at her age.

Edited by shk00design on 03 June 2014 at 4:21am

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version