Triglot
Germany
Joined 4682 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 9 of 9
12 June 2014 at 4:25pm | IP Logged 
With Korean, I used to watch a lot of TV - at the beginning with subtitles, later without.TV series with
repetitive plots and phrases were best until I reached an intermediate level. Then I switched to radio
shows, which were a lot more difficult at the beginning, and TV news reports - also a challenge because
ofthe different vocabulary and speaking style. I made a point of listening to the radio daily before sleep,
which was a great decision. It meant that I wasn't distracted (I actually used it to stop thinking about the
day) and that I could fall asleep whenever my brain got too exhausted from listening. At the beginning 5-
10 minutes were all I could focus on, understanding maybe 50%, sometimes more, sometimes less. Over a
few months my listening skills improved drastically.

Apart from the excellent advice you've received already, I suggest that you stop focusing on figuring
everything out. Trying to consciously decode the language by thinking about grammar etc. will slow you
down too much to keep up with the talking speed. Try to let go of all that. Just listen, focus on the sounds
and eventually your brain will catch up. If you don't get the tenses at first it doesn't matter. You might be
able to figure them out by context. Native speakers rely on context and expected phrases a lot when
listening... You should train that skill as well.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version