United States
notjustajd.wordpress
Joined 4164 days ago

337 posts - 476 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Polish, Ukrainian, Afrikaans

Message 9 of 14
06 June 2014 at 6:33pm | IP Logged 
For this forum, it's not unusual. For the average person you meet on the street and get into a conversation about languages, yes, it's probably less common to have that combination.

3 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5129 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 10 of 14
06 June 2014 at 7:08pm | IP Logged 
In my country it would be an incredibly rare combination, few learn French beyond what they must learn at
school, fewer learn Russian and if you to that mix add Mandarin I think you would be down to a handful of
people in the entire country. On this forum however, Georgian and Persian is considered normal, and I doubt
you could find any combination which would be really very rare.

Welcome to the forum by the way! And please forgive us if some of us sound like grumpy old men (or
women). We have seen so many starry eyed newbies who want to conquer the world, that we sometimes
forget our manners when we answer :-)
3 persons have voted this message useful

Tyrion101
United States
Joined 3708 days ago

153 posts - 174 votes 
Speaks: French

Message 11 of 14
06 June 2014 at 9:08pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, I probably wasn't all that clear, French is what I spend most of my time on, only is only spend the odd
minute here and there say learning the Cyrillic alphabet, or working on the more common Chinese phrases, I
still listen to French on the radio, occasionally read a few minutes in French and working on those things I
find confusing I'm getting to the point where it's becoming natural to see or hear the more common
expressions without thinking of their meaning. My only goal was to learn enough French to listen to the
Quebec hockey broadcasts I felt at the time that anything else would be too difficult. Found out that it was
wrong and that I CAN actually use my love of languages and not be stuck with the odd word or phrase.
1 person has voted this message useful

Darklight1216
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4895 days ago

411 posts - 639 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German

Message 12 of 14
07 June 2014 at 12:03am | IP Logged 
If you are American then it is very unusual indeed. Of course, that is because studying
any language seriously is pretty unusual and three at a time even more so.

But those are very popular languages so it's not like you have three heads, or want to
learn a tongue native to Africa or anything.

Fuenf_Katzen
Diglot
United States
notjustajd.wordpress
Joined 4164 days ago

337 posts - 476 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Polish, Ukrainian, Afrikaans

Message 13 of 14
07 June 2014 at 5:47am | IP Logged 
Funny African languages were mentioned; not too long ago I saw videos on YouTube of an American who learned Yoruba in college and then spent about 9 months in Nigeria (and she already spoke Yoruba when she went). Now that is an unusual language for most people to learn (especially learning it pretty fluently before going to the country).
2 persons have voted this message useful

darkwhispersdal
Wales
Joined 5835 days ago

294 posts - 363 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Ancient Greek, French, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Mandarin, Japanese, Latin

Message 14 of 14
08 June 2014 at 10:11pm | IP Logged 
Not an unusual combination on here. I studied Spanish, Russian, Mandarin, Classical Latin and Classical Greek together one year. Not that I recommend that combination it was intense, but well worth it. They were all studied formally with the first two at my local college and the last three with my university degree so far too much homework for my liking.

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version