elu1989
United States
Joined 3628 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 1 of 5
07 June 2014 at 1:51am | IP Logged 
So, I took some French in high school and studied it for a while and got to an intermediate level. Then, I started university and majored in Spanish and moved to Mexico for a bit and French fell by the wayside. I took an intermediate course last semester and did well, but I am in a strange area where I know a lot of intermediate French, but I still feel shady on some of the basics.

Fast forward, I'm moving to France in September for a year and I'd like to get my French up to par before leaving. I tried going through assimil but the first lessons are gruelingly slow and I get discouraged. I don't know where I need to start when I'm in this sort of purgatory phase. Any advice?

Secondly, I don't expect to be fluent by the time I leave in four months, but I hope to take advantage of the year in France in order to REALLY become fluent. I'll be working only a few hours per week and the rest of the time I can spend on improving at French. What are some ways I can really take advantage of being in France?
1 person has voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5030 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 2 of 5
07 June 2014 at 9:17am | IP Logged 
Well, I can only tell you what I would do based on my idea of what you mean by "intermediate". I'm going to guess you mean something like A2 in the CEFR which means that you:

Can understand sentences and frequently used expressions related to areas of most immediate relevance (e.g. very basic personal and family information, shopping, local geography, employment).
    Can communicate in simple and routine tasks requiring a simple and direct exchange of information on familiar and routine matters.
    Can describe in simple terms aspects of his/her background, immediate environment and matters in areas of immediate need.

To achieve your goal; I believe you should eliminate the English language from your life starting today!

From today if you listen to music, it has to be in French. If you buy a book, it is in French. If you watch a movie, it must be in French. Change your computer language to French. Change your phone interface to French. Anything you write, you write it in French. All your "self-talk" (aka your thoughts) must be in French. It is OK if you don't know the words right now, just think it in English, note down the word and look up the French equivalent.

Make it a mission to find French language exchange partners, and speak to someone everyday in French. You can find people here: http://www.language-exchanges.org/content/mixxer-free-educat ional-website-language-exchanges-skype/ Find a few books in french (real fiction books not textbooks) and read at least 1 page every day. Lookup all the words you don't know.

I'm going to recommend to methods here which I personally detest, but they work. Go to this website: http://invokeit.wordpress.com/frequency-word-lists/ and download the most frequently used word list for French. Using this list load the first 1000 most common words into Anki http://ankisrs.net/index.html a free opensource flashcard program, and spend 4 months learning the 3000 most common words in French. Or you can use the Goldlist method on the same word set. (You can google for "Goldlisting words" and you'll find out how to do it)

I personally hate flashcards and goldlisting, and I figure you'll pickup just as many words watching TV or reading books, but it might take longer.

You can get a very good list of French resources from the Super Challenge thread, http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=38652&PN=0&TPN=48 or the Super Challenge French Resource page http://learnanylanguage.wikia.com/wiki/Super_Challenge_Recom mendations_French

In addition to all of that I would download the free FSI franch language tapes and do the entire set. http://www.fsi-language-courses.org/Content.php. This course has a LOT of audio for you to listen and repeat.

Well good luck! I hope that helps you a little. Why don't you start a log on this site and keep us all updated on your progress?

Edited by rdearman on 07 June 2014 at 9:21am

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6999 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 3 of 5
07 June 2014 at 10:39am | IP Logged 
rdearman wrote:
To achieve your goal; I believe you should eliminate the English language from your life starting today!

And if you kiss, it must be French.
7 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6999 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 4 of 5
07 June 2014 at 10:41am | IP Logged 
elu1989 wrote:
I tried going through assimil but the first lessons are gruelingly slow and I get discouraged. I don't know where I need to start when I'm in this sort of purgatory phase. Any advice?

I've found starting at the end of Assimil and working towards the beginning is a great way to put the most challenging material up front. With your background, it may work well for you.

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4238 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 5 of 5
07 June 2014 at 6:04pm | IP Logged 
In this part of the world we have radio programs in Chinese where different topics are discussed. The
audience can phone the station and give their comments live. I don't know if your level of French is in
the level you can freely discuss and give your opinion about specific subjects. Sometimes I would go
online and type messages in both English & Chinese.

Since French is a language similar to Spanish & Italian, you shouldn't have any trouble with the
grammar. Although English has a lot of words borrowed from French, the way they use words & phrases
isn't quite the same. You definitely need to watch TV programs, movies, listen to radio broadcasts.
When listening to songs if you can sing along you'd get phrases into your head faster.

Right now I'm working with the online French language videos on Yabla. What I like about Yabla is that
you can repeat phrases and go at a slower speed with a click of a button. Reading the captions isn't too
bad but listening to the dialog alone you miss a lot. The problem is that the French has a lot of silent
sounds and syllables of 1 word that seems to run into another. This isn't too bad when people talk
slowly but at a faster speed you may have trouble in the beginning picking up a conversation.

Edited by shk00design on 07 June 2014 at 6:06pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version