13 messages over 2 pages: 1
daristani
United States
Joined 6939 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 9 of 13
10 June 2014 at 11:45pm | IP Logged 
It's up to you, of course, how much time and effort to devote to Dari while still continuing to work on Pashto, but I would think that there's a fair amount of synergy between the two languages. The script and phonology of Dari should be a walk in the park for you, given the similarities to Pashto and the fact that Dari is simpler, and so I would recommend at least learning the pronunciation of Dari and doing at least some audio work as well, so that your knowledge of it doesn't remain completely paper-based. In any event, good luck with your studies!
1 person has voted this message useful

luhmann
Brazil
Joined 5128 days ago

156 posts - 271 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*
Studies: Mandarin, French, English, Italian, Spanish, Persian, Arabic (classical)

Message 10 of 13
11 June 2014 at 3:42am | IP Logged 
I think it is bad idea to go for Dari. Afghan and Iranian Persian are very similar and mutually intelligible. But Iranian Persian has more and better learning materials, and a huge amount of media available online. Learning it will be a lot easier, faster, and more enjoyable.

Silvance
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5289 days ago

57 posts - 81 votes 
Speaks: English*, Pashto
Studies: Dari

Message 11 of 13
11 June 2014 at 4:49am | IP Logged 
Yeah I found out I can get Pimsleur Dari 1 and Dari/Persian 2 for free since I'm in the military. That's just 30 minutes a day worth of material, but I think it's a good choice. I can get my written practice from the DLI materials and everything else from the Pimsleur courses.

The problem with Iranian Persian is that it's less useful since I'll be spending most of my career in and out of Afghanistan. Also I can't get the free Pimsleur courses for Farsi. I plan to move to Farsi after Dari, maybe pick up Tajik, I dunno. I have heard that Dari is just a written language, and the spoken is mostly Farsi, but I don't know anything about that.

Edited by Silvance on 11 June 2014 at 4:51am

luhmann
Brazil
Joined 5128 days ago

156 posts - 271 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*
Studies: Mandarin, French, English, Italian, Spanish, Persian, Arabic (classical)

Message 12 of 13
14 June 2014 at 1:21pm | IP Logged 
Persian has a form of diglosia, in which all formal writing, and solemn speech, follows a somewhat dated standard of grammar and pronunciation. But besides that, the written and spoken standards are one and the same language.

I have been focusing on the coloquial version myself, and it is very easy to read standtard writing as colloquial speech. I only need to condition to read "tamam" as "tamum", "digar" as "dige", "mitavanad" as "mitune", etc. Very easy, if you have enough expousure the the spoken language, as most of the changes are regular, predictable, and affect very frequent words.

But it is probably best not to worry about it as a begginner, follow along whatever you learning material gives you.

My comments are based on Iranian Persian, but I suspect the situation in Afghanistan is exactly the same.

And make sure you have read these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persian_Language
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dari_%28Persian_dialect%29

PS. I was finally able to find some fair amount of good quality media in Dari:
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqhY2i3JiRK0mZIUXP0CoQw

Edited by luhmann on 14 June 2014 at 2:52pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4663 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 13 of 13
14 June 2014 at 5:21pm | IP Logged 
I think it would not be advisable to start with only the written language. You will need to know what the
words actually sound like. I like to combine learning to write and read with listening, but if you do want to
prioritise one skill above another I'd start with listening. The DLI Dari course looks great, by the way, I
considered studying with it before I decided to learn Farsi instead, because it made more sense for me
personally.

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version