Netherlands
Joined 3840 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 1 of 11
10 June 2014 at 12:19am | IP Logged 
Hi everyone.

After some months and different experiments I see a certain trend on what concerns
vocabulary retention:
(1) Proximity to my language set helps ma to retain the information
(2) Exposure also helps me to retain the information, since I'm used to how the
language sounds.

In particular, in this moment I'm like a sponge with Dutch which I'm exposed to and has
some shared vocabulary with English and French. Also in French and English is really
easy to me to learn new vocabulary. In the other extreme, by the way, there is
Icelandic: I'm really struggling to learn 25 words per day (that was my initial target;
I can double this amount with Dutch), with the result that I had to stop adding new
words and I'm having a lot of troubles in retaining the ones I already learnt. It is
quite painful to observe your brain refusing a language even though you sincerely want
to learn it.
I feel like the efficacy of the vocabulary retention lowers if the distance to your
language set increases.

Did you observed the same or similar phenomena? Is it a common issue?
Thanks!
1 person has voted this message useful

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4429 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Latin

Message 2 of 11
10 June 2014 at 12:36am | IP Logged 
I certainly have. Even with a language that many say is so easy because it's apparently close to English. German. After learning French, Spanish was easy for me in terms of vocabulary retention. After Spanish, Italian was just as easy. After I mastered the main grammar points, which is basically identical to French, it was cake to retain vocab.

German, for me, is another beast of its own. While pronouncing the words does feel natural, I cannot for the life of me remember a vocab word that I even looked up 30 seconds prior. Even after repetitive reading and seeing the same words over and over, I still find myself having to look up the words again.

What I'm excited about however, is that I know that once I get comfortable with German, the other languages I want to learn will come easier. Mainly Swedish, Norwegian, and like you, Icelandic. (Maybe not so much with Icelandic).

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4923 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 3 of 11
10 June 2014 at 3:12am | IP Logged 
tristano wrote:
I'm really struggling to learn 25 words per day (that was my initial target;
I can double this amount with Dutch), with the result that I had to stop adding new
words and I'm having a lot of troubles in retaining the ones I already learnt. It is
quite painful to observe your brain refusing a language even though you sincerely want
to learn it.
I feel like the efficacy of the vocabulary retention lowers if the distance to your
language set increases.

I suppose this happens to all of us. I've found that if I'm having trouble remembering
a word, it's because I don't need it. Doesn't mean I won't need it in the future, just
not at the moment.

I have a love/hate relationship with Anki and the likes, so when I really want to learn
something, I'll look for ways to learn it outside of it. This is a really simplistic
example, but numbers are always a chore for me to learn, outside of romance languages
(and Germanic, for that matter). So, instead of using Anki, I've discovered that I'll
retain numbers by playing Solitaire (and colors, if using a computer, since I can
change them in the program). I solidly knew them within a couple days - in a single day
with Indonesian, because of the randomness of the game. And I like playing Solitaire,
so it's not a chore, really. Yeah, the first few games take forever to complete trying
to remember everything, but it quickly starts to flow.

It's much the same with days, dates and time just by looking at random blog post titles
in the language, although it's taken me longer since it's not ad-hoc like playing a
game would be.

I've also written out my grocery shopping list items in the target language. I have to
travel about 20 miles each way to the grocery store, so it's in my best interest to
learn and remember them.

I know those are really simplistic examples, but they work for me.

I guess my point is, find ways to make the vocabulary relevant to what you are doing
and you'll have less trouble remembering them.

R.
==
2 persons have voted this message useful

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4237 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 4 of 11
10 June 2014 at 7:08am | IP Logged 
In order to retain a vocabulary, you have to drill yourself everyday. Personally I can only learn about 5
new words / phrase a day. Some people suggested if you learn 30, within a year you would learn
enough words & phrases to cover most situations. However, you have to keep repeating the ones you
learned earlier so that you wouldn't forget.

Learning enough words is 1 thing but getting the correct context is more a challenge. A language such
as French has many common words & phrases with English. Yet you can't always translate 1 by 1 and
get the correct context. A while ago I was watching a video where a Chinese teacher was teaching
English to some Chinese students. In the beginning of the video she said something like:
"First we will introduce ourselves and then we will meet each other".
Basically the sentence is grammatically correct but the last half of the sentence sounded a bit odd. When
everybody is in the same room you wouldn't say: "we will meet each other".

Elenia
Diglot
United Kingdom
lilyonlife.blog
Joined 3649 days ago

239 posts - 327 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Swedish, Esperanto

Message 5 of 11
10 June 2014 at 11:50am | IP Logged 
sillygoose1 wrote:
German, for me, is another beast of its own. While pronouncing the
words does feel natural, I cannot for the life of me remember a vocab word that I even
looked up 30 seconds prior. Even after repetitive reading and seeing the same words
over and over, I still find myself having to look up the words again.

What I'm excited about however, is that I know that once I get comfortable with German,
the other languages I want to learn will come easier. Mainly Swedish, Norwegian, and
like you, Icelandic. (Maybe not so much with Icelandic).

I find it quite difficult to retain German vocab as well, although I know in part it's
due to a lack of exposure. I find that I'm better at retaining Swedish vocab and
sentence structure. So once you're comfortable with German, Swedish will probably seem
like a walk in the park!

AlexTG
Diglot
Australia
Joined 4431 days ago

178 posts - 354 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Latin, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 6 of 11
10 June 2014 at 1:13pm | IP Logged 
I'm not sure it's so much about it being more difficult to learn vocab from more distant languages but rather
we're just pushing ourselves to learn more actually new vocab. Most of the words we learn in close
languages are just variations of words we know, and then when we get to the actually new words we have
brain power left to easily suck them in. Learning 25 French words a day with no etymological relation to
known vocab would surely be difficult.

Edited by AlexTG on 10 June 2014 at 1:26pm

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3840 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 7 of 11
10 June 2014 at 2:21pm | IP Logged 
Ok, so I guess it is quite common.
To complete the languages I'm studying right now, I can say that German and Norwegian
are not so complicated to me (but I have worse results than with French, English and
Dutch).
Since those are the language I'm more exposed to this is not surprising.

Ok, the shared vocabulary of Dutch is the smaller in this group and the width of the
dictionary is amazing (I read that Dutch is the language with the biggest vocabulary,
like four times English's one), but probably the motivation is the highest and the
extensive reading I'm doing probably is leading a boost in vocabulary retention;

but why is Icelandic much more difficult to me to retain than Norwegian? The distance
is more or less the same from English/Dutch/German.

And I have the impression that English and Dutch are helping me with German that
otherwise can be more difficult to retain. Does it make sense?

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4314 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 8 of 11
11 June 2014 at 3:29pm | IP Logged 
tristano wrote:

but why is Icelandic much more difficult to me to retain than Norwegian? The distance
is more or less the same from English/Dutch/German.

Because it isn't. Norwegian is full of loan words, Icelandic isn't (except for some old
Latin loans). Also the choice for preferred synonyms seems to be more continental in
Norwegian than Icelandic (ie. Icelandic retains Germanic words that other Germanic
languages don't use anymore). In consequence there is a higher share of words in
Icelandic you really need to learn (as opposed to just becoming aware of the similarity
to a word you know).
Take a list of the most common 2000 words in Icelandic and Norwegian an count all the
words you could guess with your knowledge of German/English/Dutch. You'll get a much
higher score for Norwegian.

to illustrate, let's assume we learn word pairs
vente - wait --> easy to remember
bíða - wait --> hard to remember
bíða - bide --> somewhere between

Most would put "bíða - wait" into Anki because they have about the same frequency, ie.
a similar prominence in the respective language. "bíða - bide" would be a better match
because they are very similar in appearance. Yet it would still not be as easy to
remember as "vente - wait", because of the huge frequency gap (and as an L2 speaker of
English you might not even know its existence). It's probably easy to establish the
lexical link between "bíða" and "bide", but hard to establish the conceptual link,
which is much more important especially if you want to speak the language, not just
read in it.

Edited by daegga on 11 June 2014 at 4:02pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version