antosch-and-lin.com/Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5573 days ago

14 posts - 18 votes
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Mandarin

Message 1 of 4
10 June 2014 at 3:22am | IP Logged 
Hello all!
just wondering where would be the best place to practice my Chinese by online text chat? I'm not good enough yet
for spoken conversation but with text chat I can use tools while I converse and with the Pinyin tool of Mac and the
text analyser and dictionary of chinese-course.com I can get a conversation going. I think busuu had a chat like
that but seems to have disappeared or is it a premium feature now?

Any help appreciated!
1 person has voted this message useful

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4239 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 2 of 4
10 June 2014 at 6:56am | IP Logged 
I studied Chinese for a while and now I'm moving to French. I did a lot of translating between English &
Chinese for posting online. Basically I start off with Google Translate and edit the content after to make
sure the text is in the right context.

I have a friend in the US with whom we exchange letters & Emails occasionally but not regularly. Being
an American-born Chinese his conversation skills is a bit weak but his writing is quite advanced. We
would write about different topics from travel, the state of the economy to politics. I'm at the stage
where I can watch a Chinese TV show and understand most of the dialog except for 1 or 2 words /
phrase in between. Recently I've been following the 2 singing sensations in China originally from Nigeria
in W. Africa. His older brother adopted the name: 郝歌 (Hǎogē), the younger one adopted the name: 好弟
(Hǎodì). Both became fluent within 1 year by learning half-dozen Chinese songs phonetically.

Right now I am focused on my French. I don't know how high your level of French is. I'm always willing
to exchange tutoring services with other people. You send me Chinese text for comments and I will
send you something in French for corrections.

Otherwise you can try sending a short message on Weibo in English with Chinese translations below that
you are willing to exchange services with a Chinese student who is learning English. You correct his
English text, he/she correct yours. Weibo (微博) is the popular social networking site in China like
Facebook.
1 person has voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5031 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 3 of 4
10 June 2014 at 12:14pm | IP Logged 
You can do realtime chat on http://sharedtalk.com/

They have chatrooms, and personal rooms for chatting both voice and text.

Good luck!
3 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4961 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 4 of 4
11 June 2014 at 10:41pm | IP Logged 
If you want non-commercial options, you can use IRC.

Network: irc.freenode.net
channels: #mandarin and ##learnanylanguage

Clients include Chatzilla, at Firefox, and the webclient Kiwirc

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version