Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

John McWhorter - The Language Hoax

Tags: Linguistics | Book
 Language Learning Forum : General discussion (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post Reply
69 messages over 9 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 8 9 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6392 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 57 of 69
13 June 2014 at 8:03pm | IP Logged 
Stolan wrote:
They mock English and set some standard for what a language should be like,

On HTLAL you're pretty much the only one who does this.

BTW I have no problems with those who dislike my native language or consider it difficult, but I do think HTLAL is not the right place to call any language or its features vomit-inducing.

What confuses me most is your motivation. If you don't like a language, don't learn it and don't read about it. It's simple. And no, nobody will call you lazy or primitive for not learning this or that language. Learn whatever you want. Even very small progress will earn you more respect than the point you're trying to make here.
5 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4502 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 58 of 69
13 June 2014 at 8:18pm | IP Logged 
Stolan wrote:
ScottScheule wrote:

4. But it's not clear when Stolan crosses the line between subjective and objective
appraisals. When he talks about
how bad massive irregularity is, what does he mean by that? Does he mean that he just
doesn't like all that
irregularity? If so, that's a subjective rating, and he has every right to it. Personal
preferences are not to be disputed.
Or is he saying that such irregularity makes the language objectively worse in some
fashion--it hinders
communication, or ease of acquisition, or something? If that's the case, then that's an
objective rating, and one we
can discuss and determine if it's true or not. Some clarity here would help.

Fine let me state it:
Massive irregularity hinders ease of acquisition.
Massive irregularity places morphology over other parts of a language.

But the main reason is:
Massive irregularity distorts linguistic knowledge. The main reason why Europeans and
South Americans think
English is a stupid pidgin-like inferior language is that they have come to think
random gender and excessive
morphology and irregularity is normal and English is the odd one out. That it is
unimaginably mind numbingly
simple, because "no conjugation stupid american loolllolololo"

In the entire world, languages have some allotments here and some there in each and
every feature.
Navajo has a simple noun system and lacks subordination/non-finite verb form
complexities yet has a rich system
of aspect and affixing with animacy and rich derivation.
Hmong has numerous classifiers, several tones, sandhi, and serial verbs, yet it lacks
true adjectives, possibly
prepositions, and complicated word order rules.
Then there is georgian with very complicated and irregular verbs yet with no gender and
straightforward nouns.

But there is Chechen, Russian, Lithuanian, and Icelandic.....they have everything piled
on more piled on more piled
on more. They have irregular morphology in all areas, they have random gender and
inconsistent agreement,
phonological processes that are more complicated than any Asian tonal language,
everything must agree even when
the information is not needed, they have random morphological exceptions that do
nothing except exist.

I would let them be, they wouldn't do any bothering. But they are taken as examples of
what languages across the
world are like by Europeans, they think inflection is far more sophisticated by being
more irregular and difficult.
They mock English and set some standard for what a language should be like, for
example, adjectives agreeing with
nouns in gender, case, and number is not done in many highly inflecting language
families, it is a redundant and
difficult feature that exists just because yet English is an idiot of a language
because adjectives don't need to be
modified nor does it have random semantic-less gender. The European strawman I keep
bring up is very real.
The word primitive is used all the time. "English is a primitive language, we use it
because it is the easiest and
Americans are too stupid to learn other languages. Every other language is better"

If you asked my father, a very learned human being, what Chechen, Lithuanian or
Icelandic sounded like, he wouldn't have a clue. He would maybe know that Icelandic is
a Germanic language (related to the Scandinavian ones), but what it looks like?
Lithuanian is "a country that's formerly Russia" (because he grew up when the Soviet
Union was still intact) and Chechen... he would assume those people spoke Russian
because Chechnya is officially in Russia still. I doubt he even knows that there is
such a thing as the Chechen language.

I certainly don't think he would take any of these languages as examples of complexity
(he might take Russian though, just to mock me).

So I don't get it. I don't think anybody even cares. He speaks Dutch and English (and
learned some German, Latin, Ancient Greek and French he never uses) and anything else
doesn't really matter. English is not simple to him, although he speaks it excellently.
So I don't get it. I really don't get where this comes from.

Edited by tarvos on 13 June 2014 at 8:20pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4639 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 59 of 69
13 June 2014 at 8:29pm | IP Logged 
Stolan wrote:
The main reason why Europeans and South Americans think English is a stupid pidgin-like inferior language is that they have come to think random gender and excessive morphology and irregularity is normal and English is the odd one out. That it is unimaginably mind numbingly simple, because "no conjugation stupid american loolllolololo"

That must be the reason why all European teenagers think English is way cooler than their native language.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Stolan
United States
Joined 3827 days ago

274 posts - 368 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Thai, Lowland Scots
Studies: Arabic (classical), Cantonese

Message 60 of 69
13 June 2014 at 8:39pm | IP Logged 
Retinend wrote:
"Massive irregularity distorts linguistic knowledge"
"Massive irregularity places morphology over other parts of a language. "

Define your terms.

The European type of language creates a mindset of being surprised when so many languages in the rest of the
world are not as complicated. I explained that.

The irregularity is what makes a language like Icelandic so difficult.

A language like Navajo has different demonstratives based on motion, distance, and animacy, it has 12 different
words for handling an object based on the substance each with 3 distinct verbs based on whether an object is
moved by handling, propelling, or free flight for a total of 36 verbs, and it distinguished a 4th person, indefinite,
and spacial person in verb conjugation. (I guess you all know by now I love this language)

But Icelandic, Chechen, Lithuanian, and Russian are just plain irregular, Russian has motion verbs as a unique
feature, but other than that, the ones I listed don't necessarily display greater semantic or syntactical distinction as
much as Navajo or greater than English for example, they are just more irregular and require more agreement
between words that doesn't do much except exist.

Josquin wrote:
That must be the reason why all European teenagers think English is way cooler than their native
language.

I know man, we keep on hearing "I have more trouble with my native language than English, so making music in
English is a better way to reach out" They'd be into Esperanto as well if it were as prevalent, some new code among
the whole world, like Mcdonalds instead of Beef Burgandy.

Edited by Stolan on 13 June 2014 at 8:46pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5140 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 61 of 69
13 June 2014 at 9:14pm | IP Logged 
For me at least, the typological facts of a language is not what defines them; it is the concerns, thoughts and imaginations of the men and women to which they have given voice -culture- that infuse life into them. I don't study some still heavily inflected Proto-IE descendant, but the tongue of Dostoyevsky.
5 persons have voted this message useful

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5023 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 62 of 69
13 June 2014 at 9:20pm | IP Logged 
It's worth pointing out that additional distinctions do not per se improve a language. For example, in Europe, most languages have a plural number and singular number. Some have a dual. Now we could easily imagine a language that had not only a dual, but a trial, quadral, quintal, sextal, septal, octal, nonal, etc.

But I imagine most of us would find such a language to have a few too many distinctions. There are values beyond precision.

Retinend
Triglot
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4103 days ago

283 posts - 557 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Arabic (Written), French

Message 63 of 69
13 June 2014 at 9:25pm | IP Logged 
Stolan wrote:
I explained that.

Well on the one hand you want to use a lot of linguistic terms (and not usually incorrectly) but then you so often slip into impressionistic, quasi-poetic
use of language at the drop of a hat (cf. your "antivirals and antibiotics"). First you use the phrase "linguistic knowledge" which, when it comes to
linguists, is typically used to refer to the parts of cognition which pertain to language behaviour, and then you use "irregularity," which makes a
linguist think of something like swim/swam/swum, rather than "irregularity" in the sense of "abnormality" (here, abnormality amongst the gamut of the world's
languages, right?)

But thanks for defining your terms. Now your points are a lot clearer. I agree that people place verbal morphology above all other aspects of language when
deciding how difficult a language is holistically. This probably comes from a long history of teaching Latin grammar through practicing declension and
parsing the case system.

Lots of people are taking you to have been saying that you deem other languages to be "simplistic." If I now understand you more clearly, you are
actually saying that it's exactly the obsession with verbal morphology in highly inflecting IE languages which distorts the criteria with which IE-
speakers generally judge the "standard" of difficulty to be? And therefore we need some other, better metric for talking intelligibly about the complexity of
language? I couldn't agree more. Only still I'm puzzled because, in your older posts, you definitely seemed to advocate a scale of complexity in which east-
Asian languages are somewhere at the bottom.

Lastly, why are you so critical of Whorf, claiming that his writings shouldn't "be allowed" to have any influence, when his short life's work was to provoke
the linguistic establishment's complacent presumption that the IE group provided enough information to work out the nature of language with a capital L? One
would think that he would be your hero, especially given that you also seem fascinated by implicit belief systems (e.g. animacy/nonanimacy, figure and
ground) that are somehow engrained in grammar.

Quote:
Russian has motion verbs as a unique
feature, but other than that, the ones I listed don't necessarily display greater semantic or syntactical distinction as
much as Navajo or greater than English for example

How can you quantify the amount in which languages "cleave the air" into semantic distinctions, in order to make the assertion that some language "displays
greater semantic distinction"? What is an example of "syntactic distinction"?

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4639 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 64 of 69
13 June 2014 at 9:33pm | IP Logged 
Stolan wrote:
Josquin wrote:
That must be the reason why all European teenagers think English is way cooler than their native
language.

I know man, we keep on hearing "I have more trouble with my native language than English, so making music in English is a better way to reach out" They'd be into Esperanto as well if it were as prevalent, some new code among the whole world, like Mcdonalds instead of Beef Burgandy.

The point being nobody thinks English is inferior to other languages. It's rather the other way round: English is a very prestigious language.

Your private war against complex morphology seems to be rather pointless, by the way. There will always be people thinking their language is better or superior to others, but that's common human stupidity. People will always be stupid and it's useless to get upset about that.

Think of all the prejudices and stereotypes that exist against people of other countries, races, coulours, sex, sexual orientations, and so on. The only thing one can do against that is not letting it affect you and convince people who think this way that they're wrong.

On HTLAL, however, you're preaching to the choir. None of the regulars on this forum will think their language is superior to others. You're talking to intelligent people, who know a lot about languages, complaining about the prejudices of stupid people who maybe know their native language and English.

You might have gathered from the answers here that nobody really disagrees with you. We're just astonished by the vehemence with which you keep repeating your mantra that complex morphology is useless. If Russian isn't better than English or Vietnamese, Navajo isn't better than Russian. So, why are you so upset?

This discussion contains 69 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version