Tags: Sports
 Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
25 messages over 4 pages: 1 2 3 4  Next >>
1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4083 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 1 of 25
10 June 2014 at 11:03pm | IP Logged 
With the opening march starting at 21h00 GMT on Thursday, what are some online broadcasts
of the match that are not broadcast in English? I think that this is a good opportunity
to use native materials for target languages, i.e. watching the most important football
(and sporting) event in the world in the target language. In the UK, there is Skysports
broadcasted online through SkyPlayer, and ESPN3 for North America, which, if I am not
mistaken, are all in English. I am sure that it should be broadcast in all European
countries, but I am unsure where they are. My guess is that RTVE, RTP, France24, DW, NOS,
etc. would air somehow, but I am unsure exactly.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4376 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Esperanto
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian

Message 2 of 25
10 June 2014 at 11:52pm | IP Logged 
I was hoping to find an online broadcast in Croatian but when I checked out the website
of their national broadcaster HRT, I found a message saying that because of strict rules
about the transmission of the World Cup on the Internet, they are forced to restrict
access to TV on demand and Internet broadcasting to people within Croatia until the end
of the World Cup. I don't know whether this is something which will affect other national
broadcasters.

Btw I think the opening match is at 21:00 BST so 20:00 GMT?
1 person has voted this message useful

aokoye
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5334 days ago

235 posts - 453 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Dutch, Norwegian, Japanese

Message 3 of 25
11 June 2014 at 1:15am | IP Logged 
I think you're going to be hard pressed to find a legal way to watch (or listen to) the
World Cup from any channel that isn't broadcasting in the country you live in. It's an
issue of licensing and is the same issue that you would run into if you were trying to
find a live stream of the Olympics from a country that you aren't currently residing in.

By that what I mean is that, say I in the US wanted to watch ZDF's (Zweiten Deutschen
Fernsehens) live stream of the World Cup because they broadcast it in German. There
wouldn't be a legal way to go about doing that while still being in the US, despite the
fact that other ZDF programs aren't region restricted.

Of course in the US you also have the issue of needing to be a cable or satellite
subscriber in order to watch things like the Olympics or World Cup online.
3 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5055 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 4 of 25
11 June 2014 at 1:28am | IP Logged 
I will be watching in Spanish on television and/or listening in Spanish to the radio when I am in the car via the over the air broadcast of WPAB 550 Ponce, Puerto Rico They also have an online live stream (audio only). Online radio may be the way to go for other languages too. Turn the sound down on your TV and listen to the radio broadcast. It may be old-fashioned, but it works.

I also remember listening live to Radio Nacional de España - Radio Exterior via shortwave during the 2010 world cup to Spain's games.

Edited by iguanamon on 13 June 2014 at 4:43pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4640 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 5 of 25
11 June 2014 at 3:15am | IP Logged 
That's a good idea, iguanamon. Online radio tends to be more accessible than online TV.

Unfortunately for me, games are on at some insane times here in Japan. How does 1:00 AM, 4:00 AM and 7:00 AM sound to you? The 7:00 AM and 4:00 AM games are not too bad on weekends since I don't work on weekends, but if my teams are not playing (none of the U.S. games are on the weekend Japan time), I have to record it and watch it at a better time, which means no simultaneous online radio.

Edited by kujichagulia on 11 June 2014 at 3:16am

AlexTG
Diglot
Australia
Joined 4431 days ago

178 posts - 354 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Latin, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 6 of 25
11 June 2014 at 7:52am | IP Logged 
Using a VPN from your target country will get around geographic restrictions. Generally these georestricted
streaming sites only do an initial check of your location. So you don't even need a good VPN, just turn it off
after you're into the site.

(there's nothing illegal about using VPNs, at most you'll be breaking the terms and conditions of the stream
website)

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4640 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 7 of 25
11 June 2014 at 8:56am | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
I will be ... listening in Spanish to the radio when I am in the car via the over the air broadcast of WPAB 550 Ponce, Puerto Rico

Double take. Wha... on the radio? In the United States? Granted, it's Puerto Rico, but still... Where was this "soccer on the radio" stuff when I was growing up in the U.S.? I was ahead of my time as a soccer fan.
2 persons have voted this message useful

eyðimörk
Triglot
France
goo.gl/aT4FY7
Joined 3892 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French
Studies: Breton, Italian

Message 8 of 25
11 June 2014 at 9:45am | IP Logged 
If you sign up for a free account with TF1 (France) you can watch live streaming, which includes the FIFA World Cup. At least that's what my husband tells me.

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version