Diglot
United States
Joined 3825 days ago

11 posts - 15 votes
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese

Message 1 of 12
11 June 2014 at 1:24am | IP Logged 
I've recently fallen in love with Duolingo for Italian and Brazilian Portuguese but I'm
worried that things are going at a really slow pace. That, and some of the exercises
don't make any sense (for example, translating "Do you talk to your cats?" and "It's a
definitive wall.") I'm at level 8 in Portuguese and 5 in Italian but I don't know what
that means in terms of proficiency.

How far can you get with Duolingo? Do you like it or would you recommend something else?
2 persons have voted this message useful

tomgosse
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3773 days ago

90 posts - 143 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 2 of 12
11 June 2014 at 1:47am | IP Logged 
I like duolingo and use it for Spanish. My only complaint is that I would not recommend
it if you are an absolute beginner. It took me a while to figure out how to use it and
I wish they explained the grammar better.

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3925 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 3 of 12
11 June 2014 at 2:22am | IP Logged 
I like Duolingo, but not as a standalone resource. I think that it's good in conjunction with other, more authentic
resources. A lot of the sentences are ridiculous (The turtle drinks milk, anyone?), but I do think that Duolingo is very
useful for learning basic vocab and for drilling basic sentence structure. It's also good for practicing noun genders,
since you have to get them right every single time. It helps that it's a bit addictive.

It's really only good at the beginning stage. By the end of the tree, they just briefly skim over complex concepts.

Your question "How far can you get with Duolingo?" is very difficult to answer. Do you mean with Duolingo alone,
and nothing else? Honestly, not very far. But in conjunction with other resources, then I think that it can be one
brick in the road that gets you to where you want to be.
6 persons have voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4670 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 4 of 12
11 June 2014 at 2:28am | IP Logged 
I'm approaching level 7 in Italian, and I like it sometimes. It really helps in getting
some of the details of Italian right - proper spelling, getting the right pronouns in the
right place, etc.

But I definitely use it as an adjunct to Assimil, Living Language, and reading. I agree
with others that it wouldn't work as a stand-alone resource.

I also tried French, where I'm more advanced, and got bored and frustrated quickly.

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4417 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Latin

Message 5 of 12
11 June 2014 at 3:38am | IP Logged 
To me, it's just a glorified highschool/college course. If you're an absolute beginner, then yeah I suppose it'd be fine. But I wouldn't necessarily count it as a solid resource.
1 person has voted this message useful

rebel dragon
United States
sevenlanguagenati
Joined 3634 days ago

20 posts - 23 votes
Studies: French, German, Danish

Message 6 of 12
11 June 2014 at 5:30am | IP Logged 
I really like it, more now than when I started using it, but it's not my only resource.

I used Memrise more at the beginning. Memrise is better if you need to memorize sheer amounts of vocabulary. Duolingo is better at helping me figure out how to construct sentences. You will eventually probably move on to other things, but it's a solid enough start.

English learning French, by the way.
1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4690 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 7 of 12
11 June 2014 at 5:02pm | IP Logged 
I like it in fits and starts. I get into it for 2-3 weeks, get excited about my streak
getting longer, etc, then I miss a day and quit for 5 months. The problem is that when
you come back, you have a lot of work to do to rebuild your deteriorated tree. The one
good thing is that they clearly keep adding new content to even the lowest of levels, so
it's not a complete redo.

I think is is pretty good at teaching some basic vocabulary and grammar. The fact that
it has odd sentences makes it amusing and memorable. But the one thing which is really
valuable, that you don't get in other learning resources, is that it drills and practices
your spelling. That's maybe not so important for German or Spanish, but it is pretty
useful for French.

mercutio
United Kingdom
Joined 3624 days ago

19 posts - 26 votes

Message 8 of 12
11 June 2014 at 7:55pm | IP Logged 
I like it but I also have a MASSIVE issue with it. MY issue is with its strenghten skills
function, in theory this should be a good system but it has a big flaw, namely in a
"session" you activate practice mode and get around 15 questions, imagine if you get 11
of those perfectly correct then "fail" the last 4, then you lose the session and instead
of it throwing back at you those 4 you got wrong you have to wade through all of the ones
you got correct again, I would much prefer it if every question you go correct
"strengthened" a skill a little bit, currently its too much like memorisation than clever
spaced repetition. IF they fixed that skill strenthening issue I think it would be a much
better learning experience

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version