Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5116 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 1 of 3
14 June 2014 at 9:23pm | IP Logged 
Chinese software manufacturer and translation provider Heartsome Technologies Ltd. has closed down their computer-assisted translation software division and released their commercial translation tools into the public domain (press release).
They offered their software in dropbox folders for download, but Dropbox closed the accounts because of excessive downloads.
Fortunately, some PROZ members managed to download the software and provide download mirrors. For more information see this PROZ thread.

Note that the Heartsome software is not a machine translation tool. It features a translation memory and a term base and is intended for professional translators.
2 persons have voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4926 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 2 of 3
15 June 2014 at 3:42am | IP Logged 
I used their program, then their suite for a few years. It's good software, although
their tech support was always horrible. I mean truly horrible.

It would be interesting to see whoever grabs this and runs with it join forces with the
OmegaT people. That's another good CAT, but is badly in need of a user interface update.

R.
==
1 person has voted this message useful

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5116 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 3 of 3
15 June 2014 at 8:53am | IP Logged 
hrhenry wrote:
I used their program, then their suite for a few years. It's good software, although their tech support was always horrible. I mean truly horrible.
It would be interesting to see whoever grabs this and runs with it join forces with the OmegaT people. That's another good CAT, but is badly in need of a user interface update.

IMHO, OmegaT even beats IBM TranslationManager/2 when it comes to usability. It does work, but that's pretty much the only positive thing that I can say about it. AFAIK, only die-hard Linux/FOSS fanatics use it.
Hopefully, Heartsome will follow through with their announcement and eventually upload the source code to GitHub. (So far they've only set up the folders.)

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version