i_forget
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4994 days ago

35 posts - 38 votes
Speaks: Greek*, English, Spanish

Message 1 of 23
15 June 2014 at 12:04pm | IP Logged 
Hello. I was thinking about going to 2-3 countries in Latin America for 1-2 weeks, alone, to have fun, vacations etc, and to practice my Spanish.

I don't want to pay to be in a language school, I want to go as an independent traveler.

Has anybody done anything like this ? What countries did you visit and how was your experience? I'm a bit concerned about the whole thing.

Thanks!
1 person has voted this message useful

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5172 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 2 of 23
15 June 2014 at 12:27pm | IP Logged 
The Lonely Planet guides are pretty helpful. They make one called "South America on a Shoestring" or something similar. It's about travelling cheap to South America. They also make one for each country. They have itineraries that hit all the "key" places in each country depending on how long you plan to stay there.

You may have very good reasons not to do a school and that is fine. However, I went to a school in Santo Domingo and also for a week in Cuenca, Eduador and I felt it was very well worth it. More for the host family and learning about the cities than the actual Spanish lessons.

Whatever you do you need to plan some things out. If you travel alone make sure you go somewhere safe.
3 persons have voted this message useful

jpmtl
Diglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 3799 days ago

44 posts - 115 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 3 of 23
15 June 2014 at 11:05pm | IP Logged 
If you're concerned about safety, why not going to Spain... Andalusia is very inexpensive.
3 persons have voted this message useful

MarlonX19
Diglot
Groupie
Brazil
Joined 3962 days ago

40 posts - 51 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, English
Studies: French

Message 4 of 23
16 June 2014 at 2:34am | IP Logged 
I've thought about that a lot... I just graduated fro highshcool and have no idea what I want to do you know, I've considered travelling the world while I decide my life, I think that would be helpful. Well, I wish I had your courage!

sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5188 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 5 of 23
16 June 2014 at 3:48am | IP Logged 
I'm thinking of doing the same this fall. I've been seriously considering Guatemala for a while since it's so cheap and it's pretty standard to get one-on-one instruction if you go to a Spanish school. The drawback is I get conflicting reports on the safety factor: some say as long as you stick to the major tourist routes, don't go out/travel at night, and stay out of Guatemala City (the general rule seems to be to stay out of most capital cities) or the roads by the Mexican border you should be fine. Yet others will say that sometimes they blockade roads and tourist buses get held up. So it's a tough call.

Nicaragua is supposed to be safer. The Spanish schools don't seem as developed as in Guatemala but if you don't mind that, it seems like a good Central American option as it's not as popular with the tourists yet in Latin America. Costa Rica is probably the easiest to travel around alone in but it's much more touristy and expensive. I've heard good things about Panama.

I haven't looked into South America much as the airfare would be more expensive for me.

jpmtl
Diglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 3799 days ago

44 posts - 115 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 6 of 23
16 June 2014 at 4:43am | IP Logged 
The most realible reports are from government websites like:
http://travel.gc.ca/travelling/advisories
2 persons have voted this message useful

BrianDeAlabama
Groupie
United States
Joined 4316 days ago

89 posts - 113 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 7 of 23
16 June 2014 at 8:16am | IP Logged 
I would love to go abroad and eventually plan visiting some Spanish speaking areas but the safety issue is
something that I'm always aware of. I live in the United States and I carry a concealed pistol for self defense. Its
perfectly in many states in America. I've never had to shoot anyone but I've had to pull it out and warn a guy that
was coming toward me with a knife back in 2006 and I warned a group of thugs on a couple of occasions that I
don't want to fight and if they attack me I would use deadly force and that solved the problem...none of them felt
like dying. My pistol gives me a peace of mind when I go jogging alone late at night somewhere or if I'm out way
off in the middle of nowhere my pistol is with me. When I leave the good ole US of A many places don't allow guns
so I'll have to be extra careful. I won't have my 40 cal Glock. :(

There are some Spanish speaking areas around here where I live and I have thought of going to spend a weekend
with some of the Spanish speaking Mexican guys from church. Heck, I'd even be willing to pay $40-$50 for a
weekend and I could supply my own food.

AlexTG
Diglot
Australia
Joined 4435 days ago

178 posts - 354 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Latin, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 8 of 23
16 June 2014 at 5:54pm | IP Logged 
The Southern Cone countries, Chile, Argentina and Uraguay, are safe and