2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 25 of 36
21 June 2014 at 3:53pm | IP Logged 
Doitsujin wrote:
s_allard wrote:
In terms of learning environment, there are some basic questions such as:

1. Do you live in the country of the language?
2. Do you have easy access to to a place where the language is spoken?
3. Do you hear the language spoken around you on a regular basis?
4. Do you have a spouse or a significant other who speaks the target language and is willing to help?
5. Is there some financial or professional incentive associated with high achievement in the target language?

These factors certainly matter, but I'm pretty sure that you know many non-francophone Canadians in Quebec
who've never learnd Québécois in spite of being surrounded by native speakers and having Québécois speaking
spouses.
OTOH, I've met some polyglots who mastered a foreign language without without the help of natives and without
ever setting a foot in a country where the language was natively spoken.

I do not doubt that there are people who can learn a language to perfection all by themselves without talking to
natives and without visiting the country of the language. And, of course, there are individuals here in Quebec
who have lived here all their lives and do not speak a word of French despite having a French-speaking spouse.
But in the latter case, with which I'm more familiar, I'll have to say that these individuals are on the verge of
extinction. Although they might not like it, a non-francophone person under the age of 30 (and even at any age)
wanting to work in Quebec is busy learning French. That is the meaning of factor 5 that I stated above.

But the point of all this, as another poster has remarked, is that these factors are conducive to rapid learning.
They are not sine qua non for learning a language. Lest we forget, emk who has written extensively on learning
French is married to a French-speaker, hears French continuously spoken around the house and has had the
opportunity to use French in travels to Quebec (and France, I assume) and with a tutor.

This in no way diminishes emk's outstanding accomplishment. Similarly, I point to the fact that Europeans
have a distinct advantage over us North Americans in terms of accessibility of certain languages. Sure, in large
cities we have pockets of immigrant communities that provide some (often meagre) opportunities to practice a
language, but how does that compare to living in Europe where one can spend a day or a weekend immersed in
any of many languages? And I need hardly mention all the opportunities available to young Europeans who want
to study or work in different countries.

Edited by s_allard on 22 June 2014 at 3:25pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6393 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 26 of 36
21 June 2014 at 4:08pm | IP Logged 
Doitsujin wrote:
Serpent wrote:
link?

Your Google-fu weak is. :-)

The link is here. It's the usual "focus on the most important aspects first etc." spiel. Nothing new for you and me.
Not weak. I just gave the OP a chance to post something substantial before reporting for link-dropping.

Edited by Serpent on 21 June 2014 at 4:09pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

ericblair
United States
Joined 4507 days ago

480 posts - 700 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 27 of 36
25 June 2014 at 11:35pm | IP Logged 
emk wrote:

Nothing to slightly A2 in about 6 months, using Assimil, though I could do it faster
knowing what I know now, and if I put in a lot more hours per day.

Just wanted to focus on this one part of your post, emk. What would you do different if
you were to start all over again knowing what you know now? And which resources would you
use?

Silvance
Diglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 5290 days ago

57 posts - 81 votes 
Speaks: English*, Pashto
Studies: Dari

Message 28 of 36
03 July 2014 at 5:33pm | IP Logged 
Having been here at DLI learning Pashto for roughly 11 months, and sitting at maybe a
low
to mid B2, I will say there's no way I could've reached fluency in this language in 3
months. Not only is it a strange writing system (arabic script but with 42 letters
instead of whatever 20 something arabic has) but the language discount is almost
nonexistent (unless you're learning Pakistani pashto, which we're not.) I've had
roughly
of 1350 class hours with minimal outside studying to reach this level, and I still have
months to go. Hopefully I'll be C1 (3/3/2 DLPT) by the end.

Unfortunately, unlike the FSI and DLI courses for Cat 1 and 2 languages, there are few
useful Pashto resources outside of a fairly bad Pimsleur course and the materials we
have for class.

Edited by Silvance on 03 July 2014 at 5:34pm

showtime17
Trilingual Hexaglot
Slovakia
gainweightjournal.co
Joined 5880 days ago

154 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: Russian, English*, Czech*, Slovak*, French, Spanish
Studies: Ukrainian, Polish, Dutch

Message 29 of 36
27 October 2014 at 12:47pm | IP Logged 
For me reaching B2 is fluency. I think it is very hard even for an experienced learner to reach that level in 3 months. It's possible, but really hard. I did reach a low B2 level in Spanish after 3 months, however I already had a small basis in the language and knew French before. If you don't have some sort of a basis in the language or know a related language, then it will be almost impossible to reach B2 in 3 months. Of course individual experiences will vary.

PS: just to clarify, the 3 months of Spanish was done while living in Spain taking intensive courses... I would never be able to do it living outside the country and doing self-study

Edited by showtime17 on 27 October 2014 at 12:51pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4049 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Russian

Message 30 of 36
27 October 2014 at 7:54pm | IP Logged 
What we have to understand here is that any in this context means "a well attested national language with resources aplenty", for which use the choice of word could be... better. Also if we presume, let's say, that 500 hours* is enough study for B2 in such a language then three months of full time work, nine to five with weekends off would actually yield almost exactly 500 hours. The efficacy is of course greatly dependant on the skills and materials of the learner.

So yes, it's possible but it's a whole lot more situational than the lifestyle gurus would like you to believe.

*(arbitrary number, I will not respond to anybody contesting this)
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6393 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 31 of 36
27 October 2014 at 8:41pm | IP Logged 
Yeah, I love how here on HTLAL any really means any. Outside of the forum it's just standard average European.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Lemberg1963
Bilingual Diglot
Groupie
United States
zamishka.blogspot.coRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4035 days ago

41 posts - 82 votes 
Speaks: English*, Ukrainian*
Studies: French, German, Spanish, Polish

Message 32 of 36
29 October 2014 at 6:42pm | IP Logged 
Short answer to OP:
If the language is related to your own, it is possible to reach basic oral fluency and
possible but very improbable to reach B2 fluency. If the language is unrelated to your
own, it is basically impossible to reach any level of fluency in 3 months.

Long Answer to OP:

WARNING: This analysis mixes different studies across different languages, methods and
variables. This is napkin math meant to give us some context.

I personally found it useful to frame the Fluent in 3 Months dream within the context
of some numbers. Doing the math was eye opening for me.

A long time ago I found this neat list of FSI (supposedly) class time estimates to
reading and writing fluency for various languages: https://voxy.com/blog/wp-
content/uploads/2011/03/110329-VOXY-HARDLANGUAGES-FINAL-WIDE .png These hour
estimates
are consistent with the Deutsche Welle, FIAF etc. estimates for class time to reach B2

As others have pointed out, FSI estimates are based on roughly 5 hours in class and 4
hours studying, but I make it 1:1 for my own calculations because making Anki cards
does take time. So for a native English-speaker to reach fluency in French would take
roughly 1200 hours, which is 13.33 hours per day if you want to do it in three months.
Okay, that's kinda possible, I guess...What about Chinese? 4400 hours over 90 days is
48.88 hours per day. Literally impossible. Over 6 months it's still literally
impossible, requiring 24.44 hours of study every day.

Even the French in 3 months estimate of 13hrs/day is not very realistic, so we have to
redefine by what we mean as fluency. There's a bunch of research out there that can
give us a place to start. Nation and Laufer use 95% vocabulary coverage (+2-3% proper
noun coverage) as where adequate comprehension happens. It's an arbitrary number (why
not 94%?) but it's a number that appears elsewhere (2 sigma in statistics), so it's
comfortable to use. (Correction: I reviewed the literature again (Laufer, 1989; Hu
and Nation, 2000) and this is not arbitrary. This is the point where there is a
meaningful jump in a person's ability to infer meaning of unknown words correctly
based on the context of the sentence it is in, which to me sounds as good a definition
of fluency as any)

The research (links at end) I've seen suggests 95% oral vocab coverage happens just a
bit over 3000 most frequent words. 95% written vocab coverage happens somewhere
between 5000 and 9000 most frequent words depending on the text and topic. At B2 we're
trying to be comfortable in varied contexts, so 8000+ words is a better estimate for
our purposes.

So what does all of this mean for us? If we're reaching for basic oral fluency instead
of B2, then: 3000 words/8000 words=.375 * 1200 hours= 450 hours or 5 hours per day
over 3 months for a western european language like French. For a language like Arabic,
that's .375 * 4400 hours = 1650 or 18.33 hours per day, so basically impossible. The
reason I say impossible is because you'd be sleeping 5.5 hours a day for 3 months
straight, which is bound to destroy your memory consolidation and slow down your
progress. An interesting (to me at least) calculation, is that this 450 hours in a 1:1
ratio is about 225 hours of directed learning which puts you in comfortable A2/very
early B1 on the CEFR guidelines, which sounds about right for where we would want to
be with this goal of basic everyday oral fluency.

Also, trying to do 3000 words in 90 days means you're learning 33.33 new words per
day, which is actually around my personal limit based on experience. 40 is too much,
30 is doable with effort or cognates, 20 is comfortable. Trying to get to B2 in 90
days would mean 88.88 new words per day. Possible? Maybe, good luck with that.

So in conclusion, what's a reasonable expectation for B2 fluency? It will depend on
the learner, target language and desired goals. I do about 3 hours per day of study
(including talking, reading, writing, listening, watching tv etc) and 25 new words.
With a European language, this means about a year to B2 for me, which sounds about
right.

Research:
http://nflrc.hawaii.edu/rfl/April2010/articles/laufer.pdf
http://www.scribd.com/doc/35527699/Spanish-Word-Frequency-St udy

Edited by Lemberg1963 on 30 October 2014 at 12:01am

This discussion contains 36 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 35  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version