Triglot
Canada
Joined 4237 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 9 of 26
18 June 2014 at 2:02am | IP Logged 
Being fluent in at least 2 languages will beneficial later in life when a person starts working. In the
beginning when a child is introduced to more than 1 language, he/she tends to get words & phrases
mixed up. After a while, the child will be much more fluent in his/her native language when learning the
second language is kept up.

Very few people would actually be classified as not being fluent in any language. Even native-speakers
of a language has to look up the dictionary occasionally. Don't forget, on the Internet you can pick up all
sorts of news, info, videos from other countries. You just need to explore on your own time.

Being fluent in multiple languages is a personal thing. My grandfather knew how to speak 5 European
languages including English, French, Dutch and Spanish but my father did not pick these up. Part of
language learning is what you pick up at home from your parents and your peers. The other part is your
life experiences including places you travelled to, classes you attended. I know some people who studied Chinese before but have totally forgotten how to write the characters not because their parents
haven't taught them but because they haven't kept up later in life.

Edited by shk00design on 18 June 2014 at 2:09am

1 person has voted this message useful

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4237 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 10 of 26
18 June 2014 at 7:02am | IP Logged 
There are all sorts of people so the last thing that we shouldn't do is to assume all monolinguals,
bilinguals and multilinguals behave the same way. I know someone who supposedly graduated from a
university with a basic Bachelor degree. He had to write research papers in English like everybody else.
The last time he asked me to edit a letter he wrote in English. There were at least 6 grammatical errors
including the word "witness" incorrectly used in a sentence as a noun when he was using it in the
context of a verb.

Being fluent in a language you can still be functionally illiterate. Based on personal experience a few
years ago I took a summer job taking care of city parks. The job involved painting public facilities,
trimming trees and removing trash.

There were several people doing the same job. One was a native Canadian who was raised as an
unilingual English speaker. The other 3 were Italians who came after the War. (During the War the Italian
gov't encouraged people to have large families to support the war effort but then the population
became too big so many were encouraged to leave). The Canadian did not complete his high school
education. Back in the 1950s & 60s it was much easier to find work and he never had the inclination to
attend college. Although the Italians did not have college education but they all completed high school
with diplomas.

When talking you could notice the Italians speak with a slight accent but that wasn't a concern. They
could read an English newspaper without any trouble. The Canadian, on the other hand, couldn't write a
single English word on paper besides his name and could not even do simple math calculations of
adding and subtracting. Never mind reading a newspaper.

The point: there are people who are raised in a monolingual environment but their education and life
experiences determine their language proficiency.

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3875 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 11 of 26
18 June 2014 at 1:01pm | IP Logged 
Let us restrict our attention to people who have a college degree.

There will always be people in any country who are barely literate/barely educated. The people of relevance to this thread are people with higher education who might have had better mastery of some language had they had a monolingual upbringing.

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4326 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 

Message 12 of 26
18 June 2014 at 1:23pm | IP Logged 
Gemuse wrote:

There will always be people in any country who are barely literate/barely educated. The people of relevance to this thread are people with higher education who might have had better mastery of some language had they had a monolingual upbringing.

Bilingualism has been pretty heavily studied. What's the evidence, if any, that bilingual children suffer in terms of language abilities later?

I am sure that some children raised in bilingual households do not learn their L1 as well as they might, but this might be due to lots of other factors other than the fact that they are being raised bilingual (e.g., parents are poorer - kids go to poorer schools - they don't get exposed to reading as much at early age - their parents are fluent in their L1 etc).

As far as I know, children raised in bilingual households are just as good with languages as monolingually raised children, given they are brought up in the right environment.

Edited by patrickwilken on 18 June 2014 at 1:25pm

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3875 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 

Message 13 of 26
18 June 2014 at 1:33pm | IP Logged 
Hmmm. You are right - perhaps the problem is that I am looking at people whose main language of focus changes as life goes on, and these isnt a language to latch on to for an extended period of time during school and college years.

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4415 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 14 of 26
18 June 2014 at 1:51pm | IP Logged 
Gemuse wrote:

But most people don't study at degree level, and most of them can use language perfectly well.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3875 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 

Message 15 of 26
18 June 2014 at 1:59pm | IP Logged 
Correct, but I am taking a conservative subset. All monolingual degree holders have mastery of their language, as opposed to "most" of the general population.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4702 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 16 of 26
18 June 2014 at 2:02pm | IP Logged 
beano wrote:
Gemuse wrote:
Let us restrict our attention to people who have a
college degree.

There will always be people in any country who are barely literate/barely educated. The
people of relevance to this thread are people with higher education who might have had
better mastery of some language had they had a monolingual upbringing.

But most people don't study at degree level, and most of them can use language
perfectly well.

Yes, the title of the thread is about fluency. Fluency and mastery are different
things. (Where is s_allard when you need him?)

Gemuse wrote:
Hmmm. You are right - perhaps the problem is that I am looking at
people whose main language of focus changes as life goes on, and these isnt a language
to latch on to for an extended period of time during school and college years.

I agree, this is quite a different thing than being raised bilingual.

EDIT to take into account a new post made while I was writing:
Gemuse wrote:
Correct, but I am taking a conservative subset. All monolingual degree
holders have mastery of their language, as opposed to "most" of the general population.

It isn't always true that monolingual degree holders have "mastery" of their language.
(Unless you take a very weak definition of mastery). It is even less true that all
monolingual degree holders are "fluent".

Edited by Jeffers on 18 June 2014 at 2:09pm

This discussion contains 26 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version