Germany
crazyleseratte.wordpRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3772 days ago

26 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: English, German*, Spanish, French, Italian
Studies: Dutch, Danish, Mandarin, Japanese, Russian

Message 1 of 4
18 June 2014 at 11:31am | IP Logged 
I haven't been studying actively in a while, but recently took up my languages again. I
thought this hopefully not too long break might be a good opportunity to change my
learning behavior. I definitely want to use more shadowing and scriptorum for my daily
workout. The thing is, I do love flash cards, I have thousands literally speaking, and
wondered about the repetition and memorisation. Up to now, I have studied every word or
sentence 3 times. If I got it right three times in a row, I would switch direction.
Once I had the other direction, I would throw away my card (in order to keep some space
for new words). Since I am a teacher, and very interested in how the brain works, I
have studied several methods on how to learn best. I have read many different opinions
on how often and when to repeat your words. With the 5 or 6 repetions, that I tried out
for a long time, I always had the impression, that I do not ever manage to transfer
even one word to my memory. So my first question would be: What do you think, or what
is your experience with the different SRS.

When I was thinking about changing my learning style, I also remembered my old books on
memory and mnemonics. I wondered, if anyone was using those actively for learning a
language (and if so how)? I have not found anything on this topic here. Are those lists
and major systems useful for learning a language, or is this just a mere hoax, and not
useful unless you want to learn for some kind of championship (memorising cards, binary
numbers or something like that)?

Edited by crazyleseratte on 18 June 2014 at 7:50pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5130 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 2 of 4
18 June 2014 at 12:09pm | IP Logged 
Josh Cohen posted some ideas in the Method of loci questions thread before he left HTLAL and set up his own forum dedicated to all kinds of mnemonic techniques.
I personally only use the Major system and the Linkword method (better known in German as "Eselsbrücke"). I.e. linking a foreign word to a somewhat similar sounding word in another language.

Edited by Doitsujin on 18 June 2014 at 12:11pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Josh Cohen
United States
mnemotechnics.org/
Joined 4686 days ago

35 posts - 63 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Portuguese, Esperanto

Message 3 of 4
18 June 2014 at 6:00pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the mention. I didn't leave -- I just don't post often. :)

If you want solid evidence that memory techniques are useful for learning vocabulary, search Google for a study called "mnemotechnics in second language learning".
3 persons have voted this message useful

crazyleseratte
Pentaglot
Germany
crazyleseratte.wordpRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3772 days ago

26 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: English, German*, Spanish, French, Italian
Studies: Dutch, Danish, Mandarin, Japanese, Russian

Message 4 of 4
18 June 2014 at 7:55pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, I will do that. And I will definitely give it another shot. I haven't used those
techniques in years, and I wasn't very successful back then. I guess this was, because I
had not used them often enough. I learned the capitals with the major system, or I tried.
I have forgotten most of it now, but as I asid, I should probably have a closer look at
this stuff now!

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version