Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4415 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 1 of 22
18 June 2014 at 4:57pm | IP Logged 
Is there really such as thing as a person who is "no good at languages"? I just read a blog article written by an American woman living in Germany who is clearly very intelligent and also highly-literate in her mother tongue. Yet she insisted that she found her early days in Germany very difficult due to her being "terrible at languages"

Yet don't we all find a new skill difficult when attempting it for the first time? Languages do have a steep learning curve so perhaps many people conveniently label themselves as having "no talent" before they've had time to give it a serious shot?

As it turns out, the author did start to make significant progress once she was put into situations where using the language was necessary. No real surprise here. Practise may not always make perfect but will certainly lead to improvement.

I've always believed that genuine language talent exists, just as some people pick up a golf club for the first time and seem to have a natural feel for the game. There may also be people with learning difficulties who genuinely struggle with new languages, but even they could make relative progress with exposure and effort. But for the vast majority of folk in between the extremes, including the "average joe", surely everyone is capable....if they want it.

Edited by beano on 18 June 2014 at 4:58pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4702 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 2 of 22
18 June 2014 at 6:04pm | IP Logged 
I'm rubbish at learning languages. I think that's one thing that attracts me to studying them. In the same way, I'm scared of heights, so in college I joined the rock climbing club, and I've gone paragliding twice.

On the other hand, you're probably right about the steep learning curve causing people to think they have no talent. People can learn to drive a car or learn to play a simple song on guitar in a couple weeks. So people buy a language book and get to chapter 3 and think they have no aptitude. Or they take a class and quit going after a few weeks. They don't see any progress in a short time and assume they can't do it. But learning a language is a long-term project.

Edited by Jeffers on 18 June 2014 at 6:04pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

jpmtl
Diglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 3795 days ago

44 posts - 115 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 3 of 22
18 June 2014 at 8:00pm | IP Logged 
It's a meme that people hear, and repeat.

- "We only use 10% of our brain".
- "I'm terrible at languages."
2 persons have voted this message useful

Light
Canada
Joined 4218 days ago

30 posts - 42 votes
Studies: French

Message 4 of 22
18 June 2014 at 8:41pm | IP Logged 
I'm terrible at computer languages. I have tried learning them in the past. I have been able to pick up HTML and CSS relatively easily, but when it comes to programming you can just stick a fork in me.

English was always one of my best subjects until I got up to high school where they expected me to write essays and stuff. I can write an essay if I put my mind to it but I was always a perfectionist and it hindered me in school with anything that took a skill I hadn't quite cracked.

French, I had my days with it in elementary school learning songs and numbers and so forth. Middle school, I had low attendance and was totally not learning anything. If I had to go to the bathroom I would butcher the grammar and pronunciation when getting permission to leave the class. Once I made high school I began learning, it wasn't as hard as it seemed, but I still didn't have great attendance so I was lucky enough to have to do it over again. That time around, grammar was easy. But there wasn't a whole lot to go off vocabulary wise from what was being taught, and I wasn't interested enough to study on my own.

Fast-forward, I still wouldn't say that I am terrible at languages -- just that I'm a bad language learner. I think a lot of people who are beginning suffer from just that. They are not equipped to learn a language when they are in charge of their own learning. This isn't limited to finding the right material, but knowing what works for them, to keeping on a schedule, etc. I think we all start out as bad language learners. Some have better aptitudes when it comes to all of these things, and some of us don't, but we only become better at language learning through trial and error, or success as you might have it.

I'm still bad at language learning but I've long had an aptitude for the languages themselves. I'm improving, and it's just making the process of learning easier.

Retinend
Triglot
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4101 days ago

283 posts - 557 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Arabic (Written), French

Message 5 of 22
18 June 2014 at 9:45pm | IP Logged 
Well yeah they do exist. In a class environment it's all the more obvious if someone is a
relatively poor learner or not. Is it a serious question, whether or not some people are
natively poorer at learning languages than others? Or is it just a rhetorical question
about why people limit their own horizons?

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5021 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 6 of 22
18 June 2014 at 9:47pm | IP Logged 
I have no vocation for languages. I don't have any for music either, but those two fields are where I get most of my enjoyment in life.

But, as to the original question, depends how you define rubbish. My guess is, like most things, if you plot skill with language sampling a populaton you'll get a bell curve, with some exceptionally talented, some exceptionally untalented, and most in the bulbous middle.

Radioclare
Triglot
United Kingdom
timeofftakeoff.com
Joined 4376 days ago

689 posts - 1119 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Esperanto
Studies: Croatian, Serbian, Macedonian

Message 7 of 22
19 June 2014 at 1:36am | IP Logged 
I didn't used to think that there was a such a thing as people who are unable to learn a
language. Then I met people who had been learning Esperanto for decades and still
couldn't speak it properly, so I changed my mind ;)
3 persons have voted this message useful

Stolan
United States
Joined 3825 days ago

274 posts - 368 votes 
Studies: Thai, Lowland Scots
Studies: Arabic (classical), Cantonese

Message 8 of 22
19 June 2014 at 3:18am | IP Logged 
For me:
-You have to want to actually learn the language and it will be far easier. If you are doing it just to get a grade, it will
be impossible, doing it to communicate is in the middle I guess.
-You can't let your head convince yourself that it is too difficult.
I used the analogy a while back of a guy who smoked a pack every day and some other stuff happened.
-Has the said person tried thinking in the language?

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version