Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3846 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 
Studies: German

Message 9 of 9
21 June 2014 at 9:37pm | IP Logged 
Lieber Silvance,
My understanding is that Michel Thomas recorded his German course once only and that it was never rerecorded. Some of the courses (e.g., vocabulary) were recorded by other individuals. The holders of the publishing rights have repackaged the courses, renamed them, and recombined the CDs in the newly-named packages (along with the addition of a DVD in one case).   If you consult the FAQs of the Michel Thomas website you'll find a explanation of old and new titles. The "Total" course replaces the "Foundation" course. I have the Total version and it contains some, but not all of the Foundation CDs , the last few of which have been replaced by the first few Vocabulary CDs. So, my reading is that you have, from the perspective of the Michel Thomas series, a fairly complete introductory set. Also, it seems to me that your library has the complete set of the previously-named Michel Thomas German courses. By careful reading of the FAQs, you'll find a link to the freely-available PDF files of the old and new booklets that were published to accompany these courses.

Finally, while I appreciate that your intial questions concerned the Michel Thomas and Pimsleur courses only, once you have completed these courses, or otherwise had your fill of them, you might consider the ASSIMIL German course, a method that, generally speaking, has been well-received by many members of this forum. My only caveat would be that the explanations of grammar are somewhat confusing; that is, they're correct in what they say, but in order to really appreciate their explanations, you pretty well have to already know the grammatical point being presented. So, my recommendation concerning the purchase of a simple German Grammar still applies.

Good luck!

Edited by Speakeasy on 21 June 2014 at 9:57pm

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version